Mrboots2u

More Niche User Experience-Recipes

The original Niche user experience is now getting in for 50 pages long, alot of the original discussion points have subsided, which just leaves people using it and enjoying it I guess.

Perhaps a newer thread where people can post some recipes for coffees they are using (brew and espresso) and pass on some advice may be useful.

Perhaps it won't as people are happy using it and will just quietly continue to do so, in which case all good.

For me I use what would be referred to as predominantly lighter roasted coffee, I buy into the greater capabilities of the flat burrs grinder for espresso (I've owned a fair few), but sometimes choices are not as simple as what grinder will give me the ultimate best cup. If it was I'd probably still have an EK at home, but I don't. Making coffee doesn't always have to be a comparative game, is X grinder better then Y. There will always be a Y over the horizon.

Sometimes it can be to just enjoy what you've got, and how to get to get the best from it.

Got a bag of Sweetshop on the way from Square Mile, which will be a pretty good test of what a Niche will do with lighter roasted coffee.

Previously these have been fruit bomb rides, so fingers crossed I can get a good espresso with this set up.

Machine I used is a Sage Oracle, so effectively a sage db.

• Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Posted (edited)

Drip with a Wm Bartleet, porcelain, 3 hole cone (like a Melitta but more holes). Rombouts white filter papers.

Weigh out 13.5-13.6g of whole bean.

Grind at ~55 (between microswitch & calibrate mark)

Make a little divot in the bed

Preheat Hario kettle with water right off boil, discard & fill kettle.

Bloom with 33g of water, stir with 2 or 3 back & forth strokes.

0:30 add up to 100g in spirals

0:50 add up to 166g in spirals

1:10 add up to 233g in spirals

2x 360degree stirs at the surface.

Edited by MWJB

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Mafene AA - Thompsons Roasters

Dose 18g > Output 46g in 30 seconds - Grinder at 17.5

Cherry at the front, some artificial like sweetness in the middle ,like half sugar, then kick of blackberry acidity on the end. Think I can get sweeter and a little softer, if I pull a little heavier. With some of these coffees have been enjoying 1:3 shots.

Little milk added and I get a a balance of the sweetness of full fat and some gentle berry acidity coming through. This i show i increasingly like my milk drinks where the coffee adds a lilt bit to the milk sweetness as opposed to bullying sweetness and bitterness together.

53801502_309166146449233_4035166622640504832_n.jpg

Instagram - rjw_inc

The original Niche user experience is now getting in for 50 pages long, alot of the original discussion points have subsided, which just leaves people using it and enjoying it I guess.

Perhaps a newer thread where people can post some recipes for coffees they are using (brew and espresso) and pass on some advice may be useful.

Perhaps it won't as people are happy using it and will just quietly continue to do so, in which case all good.

For me I use what would be referred to as predominantly lighter roasted coffee, I buy into the greater capabilities of the flat burrs grinder for espresso (I've owned a fair few), but sometimes choices are not as simple as what grinder will give me the ultimate best cup. If it was I'd probably still have an EK at home, but I don't. Making coffee doesn't always have to be a comparative game, is X grinder better then Y. There will always be a Y over the horizon.

Sometimes it can be to just enjoy what you've got, and how to get to get the best from it.

Got a bag of Sweetshop on the way from Square Mile, which will be a pretty good test of what a Niche will do with lighter roasted coffee.

Previously these have been fruit bomb rides, so fingers crossed I can get a good espresso with this set up.

Machine I used is a Sage Oracle, so effectively a sage db.

I had some Sweetshop a couple of weeks back. I was going 18 in 45 out in about 33 seconds, was at around 17 on the Niche but I imagine that's quite variable depending on calibration...

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

I have been using this

https://www.tynemouthcoffee.com/product/beans/nee-caffeine-hinny/

It is a Mexican decaf and Paul roast it just how I like, a little darker than medium but nothing too far. Really tasty. I have made a few Clever drips, 20 gm in, 300 ml water, total brew 3 mins 30 before dripping. Even with the grinder set at about 45, it could do with being slightly coarser as not all the water pulls through. A dash of milk which do not normally take with brewed and away you go!

I appears to be drinking a Square smile coffee that doesn't exist ....it's not in the website but came via @jeebsy.

Anyway grind set to 18, my go to start for espresso .

18g dose into a LM bakset.

Gave me 40g out in 31 seconds. Was aiming for 36 but got distracted.

Espresso ,sweet, nuts on the finish without being bitter.

In Milk , sweet , more walnut whippy..

Nice .

IMG_20190314_161758.jpg

Instagram - rjw_inc

Still on the Sitio Serra, tighten the shot a bit today, 17 on the dial .

got 18>34 over 3o seconds (forgot exact time) alot more figgyess as opposed to nuttiness, best shot of this so far.

Niche did me proud yesterday, 2 v60's, 1 chemex, espresso , 2 different coffee's.

Instagram - rjw_inc

Have the Niche for about a month now. Still experimenting a lot with the Niche and Rocket Appartamento (as this is my first espresso setup).

Espresso grind setting for freshly roasted beans mostly between 9 and +/- 12 for 18 gr in +/- 36 out in around 30 seconds.

Think this question might be asked a lot already, but do you start counting at first drop or when you start the waterflow?

Have the Niche for about a month now. Still experimenting a lot with the Niche and Rocket Appartamento (as this is my first espresso setup).

Espresso grind setting for freshly roasted beans mostly between 9 and +/- 12 for 18 gr in +/- 36 out in around 30 seconds.

Think this question might be asked a lot already, but do you start counting at first drop or when you start the waterflow?

When i switch the pump on.....water is hitting the coffee , extraction has started.

If it taste good all fine, if you are trying to hit a time slot of 30 seconds ( i suspect you are ) then time from pump on .

This may account for your grind setting being finer than others ( or calibration ) .

If coffee tastes good as in , ignore the above and enjoy

Instagram - rjw_inc

When i switch the pump on.....water is hitting the coffee , extraction has started.

If it taste good all fine, if you are trying to hit a time slot of 30 seconds ( i suspect you are ) then time from pump on .

This may account for your grind setting being finer than others ( or calibration ) .

If coffee tastes good as in , ignore the above and enjoy

Thanks! :) I still find it kind of strange though, I have calibrated the Niche a couple of times already as I saw that apparently I need to grind finer (always around the 10 setting). If I have the setting around 17 / 18 (as others mention above), the output resulting in 18gr in / 36gr out will be achieved in around 15 seconds give or take (all using naked portafilter with stock Rocket double basket). What could be plausible causes of this? (Pump pressure, distribution / tamping, or a combination)?

Thanks! :) I still find it kind of strange though, I have calibrated the Niche a couple of times already as I saw that apparently I need to grind finer (always around the 10 setting). If I have the setting around 17 / 18 (as others mention above), the output resulting in 18gr in / 36gr out will be achieved in around 15 seconds give or take (all using naked portafilter with stock Rocket double basket). What could be plausible causes of this? (Pump pressure, distribution / tamping, or a combination)?

Coffee your using .is?

Time from the pump on what time is the shot time then.

I mean if it tastes good all fine..

Could be any of the things you mentioned

I use predominantly lighter right Roasted coffee and am 18g dose 36 g shots around 30 seconds mark and this is With a vst 18 g basket which has more holes than a rocket basket.

Instagram - rjw_inc

Coffee your using .is?

Time from the pump on what time is the shot time then.

I mean if it tastes good all fine..

Could be any of the things you mentioned

I use predominantly lighter right Roasted coffee and am 18g dose 36 g shots around 30 seconds mark and this is With a vst 18 g basket which has more holes than a rocket basket.

So I think I previously incorrectly calibrated the Niche, as I just did it again (don't ask me how as it is a fairly easy process haha;)).

I will test the new setting tomorrow morning :coffee:

Foundry Rocko Mountain; 18g in/45g out (18g VST) in 43 seconds. Niche set to 17.

Had as flat white; boozy, strawberry milkshake. Delicious.

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Soo... I finally decided to.go for mybown Niche

Do the burrs need any wearing in? Or is that more of a flat burr thing?

We have a summary of useful things for new owners?

::: Fracino Cherub ::: Fiorenzato F5 ::: Torr 58.6mm ::: VST 18g basket :::

Awaiting: Arduino upgrade on Gaggia Classic, some skills ;)

Soo... I finally decided to.go for mybown Niche

Do the burrs need any wearing in? Or is that more of a flat burr thing?

We have a summary of useful things for new owners?

Just use it and enjoy, will settle done a little after a few more kgs but nothing to stop you enjoying straight out the box.

Instagram - rjw_inc

Can into it's own at the weekend.

Had three coffees on the go. Used for espresso, as two of my friends was over and wanted espresso and espresso based drinks.

All pretty 3rd wave light coffees.( for want of a better term )

Crankhouse - Anerobic Columbian - bonkers bright, fruit bomb. Not for the faint hearted but delish.

Curve - Rwandan - made a 5 shot mercian in a flask for walking. When cooled down was like sweet orange lolly.

Lastly a 90 scoring Gardelli Ethiopian-- Shiferaw Alako ( not cheap, but worth every penny ) stand out as espresso , sweet, fruity , strawberry. Top of the pile was an old school machiatto , was like sugar sweet.

Even my mate who drinks just flat whites, wanted a sip to re confirm that it was "coffee"

Ratio for this was a 18> 36 35 seconds.

Can the Niche deliver with lighter roasted coffee, to a tasty degree , yeah the shots i Had were better than a couple of specialty shops ,we went to over the weekend using Mythos.

Would my coffee have been better in an EK or Mythos, good chance for sure, but again academic as I cant fit one in me kitchen.

Why make the point, sure you can make better espresso with more expensive gear, but if you are limited in space and budget then don't be put off using a Niche for high quality coffee either.

Instagram - rjw_inc

Any clues for French Press? I've been opening it up one full turn then putting it around filter.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Any clues for French Press? I've been opening it up one full turn then putting it around filter.

Over one full rotation? That seems outrageously coarse?

If it's a large press, long steep, maybe around calibration mark?

Smaller glass press/short steep, maybe try around 30?

Over one full rotation? That seems outrageously coarse?

I have to do one full rotation and then some even for drip. I guess there's quite a lot of variation between these ;)

I have to do one full rotation and then some even for drip. I guess there's quite a lot of variation between these ;)

Did you calibrate like DaveC's suggestion, if so there wouldn't be that much variation (thread pitch would have to be different), unless your drip brews are massive? Mine for 1 mug are around the calibration mark & lid microswitch, coarser than I would go for most French press brews.

Did you calibrate like DaveC's suggestion, if so there wouldn't be that much variation (thread pitch would have to be different), unless your drip brews are massive? Mine for 1 mug are around the calibration mark & lid microswitch, coarser than I would go for most French press brews.

Yeah, I have calibrated it like that. I don't do massive brews, but even at this range it clogs easily - making me think there's a huge amount of fines. Although I also think my burrs wobble more than in Dave's video, but it's hard to compare video from off axis. Espresso is at the same level as everyone else here (depending of course a little bit on the beans, but ~22 at the moment).

What I've noticed though is that the beans themselves make a huge difference to the grind quality. I've had some Kaffa Roastery's Light roast and Redber's "Medium" (which appear even lighter than the light roast from Kaffa.. usually I get too dark from Redber) to do some side-by-side and the Kaffa's beans didn't cause as many fines. This was quite noticeable when doing pour over.

Maybe I'll clean it next week again and redo calibration again (and see if the top bolt on the burrs is lose or something).

What’s the best solution for static in the grind cup? Sure I read it somewhere but can’t find it now

A machine, a grinder & some beans

What’s the best solution for static in the grind cup? Sure I read it somewhere but can’t find it now

I'm not really seeing any... Just give it a good tap

Instagram - rjw_inc

Yeah, I have calibrated it like that. I don't do massive brews, but even at this range it clogs easily - making me think there's a huge amount of fines. Although I also think my burrs wobble more than in Dave's video, but it's hard to compare video from off axis. Espresso is at the same level as everyone else here (depending of course a little bit on the beans, but ~22 at the moment).

What I've noticed though is that the beans themselves make a huge difference to the grind quality. I've had some Kaffa Roastery's Light roast and Redber's "Medium" (which appear even lighter than the light roast from Kaffa.. usually I get too dark from Redber) to do some side-by-side and the Kaffa's beans didn't cause as many fines. This was quite noticeable when doing pour over.

Maybe I'll clean it next week again and redo calibration again (and see if the top bolt on the burrs is lose or something).

You haven't got masses of fines.

Beans make a difference to grind size but only a small one, for drip it's not enough to throw out brews. Grind quality is set by the grinder, rather than the bean.

Which pourover & filter are you using, clogging almost never happens...unless maybe with a flat bed brewer & pouring too aggressively?