DE1 (Decent Espresso) Owners in UK

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread has been quiet for a while, but as I can't get my wife even vaguely interested in my forthcoming happy event - I thought I'd tell you lot:   My DE1+ v1.3 has shipped, and should

Six months have passed since I accquired my Decent.  A lot of water under the bridge. Have downsized to a smaller house which has been our tenth move.  Its just gotta be the last move time. So through

Well, yes  - this thing is bonkers (in a very good way)! I don't think I've consumed as much espresso in a long while... the possibilities and experimentation that you can do is just endless.  Th

Posted Images

also - 

do you De1+ owners have any worries about fixing it when it goes wrong

I know parts are available, but how tricky / what sort of tools / skills would be needed to fix / replace components?

Thanks again for your comments

Tom

Let me just quickly comment...

I had a Duetto before the DE1 and I’m pretty sure I don’t miss any aspect of it. The DE1 is superior in every material way that I can think of.

Serviceability : Due to my 1.3 machine being an early one, I’ve already replaced the main logic board inside the machine (not due to any failure, due to factory config that didn’t happen- so they sent me a replacement preconfigured board). I was much more comfortable doing this - and I’m pretty sure I would be with most other aspects of electronics / plumbing on the DE1 than I ever would have been with my Duetto. It’s more like working on a modern water cooler gaming PC than working on an espresso machine - and much of the internals are well engineered with a strong bias towards serviceability in the event of any future issues.

No regrets whatsoever... quite the opposite.

Ok -it was twice the price of the Duetto, but it’s easily twice the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

32 minutes ago, MrShades said:

Let me just quickly comment...

I had a Duetto before the DE1 and I’m pretty sure I don’t miss any aspect of it. The DE1 is superior in every material way that I can think of.

Serviceability : Due to my 1.3 machine being an early one, I’ve already replaced the main logic board inside the machine (not due to any failure, due to factory config that didn’t happen- so they sent me a replacement preconfigured board). I was much more comfortable doing this - and I’m pretty sure I would be with most other aspects of electronics / plumbing on the DE1 than I ever would have been with my Duetto. It’s more like working on a modern water cooler gaming PC than working on an espresso machine - and much of the internals are well engineered with a strong bias towards serviceability in the event of any future issues.

No regrets whatsoever... quite the opposite.

Ok -it was twice the price of the Duetto, but it’s easily twice the machine.

thanks

I've just built a gaming pc with my son and found it easier than expected so this is very reassuring!

it seems that working on the de1+ is often part of the owner experience, but not something to be worried about, and maybe even a source of extra fun

32 minutes ago, MrShades said:

It’s more like working on a modern water cooler gaming PC than working on an espresso machine - and much of the internals are well engineered with a strong bias towards serviceability in the event of any future issues.

This actually appeals to me, as someone who's considerably more comfortable with computers and electronics than more "mechanical" setups. I've no immediate plans to change machines any time soon, but the Decent machines really are starting to seem more appealing (as much as I hate the clicking!) - I'll need to keep an eye out for a machine to try at some point!

ACS Vesuvius      |      Niche Zero      |      AeroPress      |      Porlex Mini

• 1 month later...
Where would be the best place to source a DE1+ In the U.K.?
Looking like £3177 direct from Decent!

They only sell direct - so that’s the only option.

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

Currently I think they have a few refurbished DE1+ machines which they are selling off at a good price. Knowing 'Decent'   as well as I do I'm sure these will be like new machines.

I'm no technition but I easily manage to keep up with all the available updates, firmware & software for the App, and the Skin that I use.  Couldn't imagine myself owning anything else other than a 'Decent'  nowadays.

Ron 

5 minutes ago, ronsil said:

Currently I think they have a few refurbished DE1+ machines which they are selling off at a good price. Knowing 'Decent'   as well as I do I'm sure these will be like new machines.

I'm no technition but I easily manage to keep up with all the available updates, firmware & software for the App, and the Skin that I use.  Couldn't imagine myself owning anything else other than a 'Decent'  nowadays.

Mainly 5% off for very small cosmetic issues. Some are undiscounted, but with the ability to jump the queue. Priority is given to those who have already paid and are in the queue, and after 24 hours that priority drops away. 

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

7 hours ago, mmmatron said:

Can now connect my lunar scales to the machine to stop at weight. Game changer!

Do they switch on automatically when the DE1 does? 

Coffee by the Casuals

Do they switch on automatically when the DE1 does? 

They don’t. I’ve just had to manually connect on the app again but I think I was being impatient.

DE1+, Monolith Conical, Osmio Zero. Stuff. Lots of stuff.

Connecting to the Lunar for true stop at weight gravimetrics is such a great step forward, especially as I already have two!

The Bluetooth scale that is currently offered is quite tall and you would lose a lot of height under the group whereas the Lunar is tiny (and waterproof) by comparison.

If you don’t connect a scale it can still stop at weight using a flow calculation. Once calibrated it is apparently within a few grams. One thing about the group head controller, new in V1.3, I like is the idea of is being able to take over and adjust a pre planned profile on the fly if things are not going to plan , too fast or too slow, to get the shot to work. I love the shots my Vesuvius makes but it would be nice to adjust when going wrong. It’s like the son of a Vesuvius and Bianca with flow and temp control thrown in 😀

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Cafelat Robot  Grinders : Compak R120, Compak E10, Mythos One Clima Pro, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47, OE Apex

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

Just got my DE1+, I don't have bluetooth scales so just using the "stop at pour" function, and can confirm once you've got the shot dialled in for a specific profile it's within a couple of grams (For example this morning's coffee was set for  "stop at 37ml" and resulted in exactly 36g).

My machine had some minor cosmetic damage, I didn't get a discount though just $50 in store credit, although the marking was so tiny I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't pointed out to me.

Loving the machine so far although it is way overpowered for my needs;  still simple to use though.  My only minor gripe is the tablet app has locked up about a half dozen times in the first week, but as it starts up in a second it's easy to kill and restart.

Casper

• Like 1

Others with more experience can answer better, but as I see it the Decent fills 2 particular niches:

1. Those who want to play with temperature and flow to experiment with espresso

2. Those who want to use light roasts

If you're using medium/dark roasts and you're in group 1, great.  But given that most machines have been built around extracting from standard roasts I'd be surprised if you could notice an improvement in taste from an already high end machine.  

Casper.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CasperGasper said:

Others with more experience can answer better, but as I see it the Decent fills 2 particular niches:

1. Those who want to play with temperature and flow to experiment with espresso

2. Those who want to use light roasts

If you're using medium/dark roasts and you're in group 1, great.  But given that most machines have been built around extracting from standard roasts I'd be surprised if you could notice an improvement in taste from an already high end machine.  

Casper.

Thanks Casper.  I like light roasts but my wife darker so any machine has to be capable of both.  Very happy with the Mara but I have upgraditus!   

8 hours ago, Mark70 said:

Thanks Casper.  I like light roasts but my wife darker so any machine has to be capable of both.  Very happy with the Mara but I have upgraditus!   

The Decent is undoubtedly capable of dealing with any bean you throw at it. There’s no machine it can’t emulate, because of the pressure, flow, and temperature options.

• Thanks 1

Coffee by the Casuals

• 2 weeks later...

I've went for the XL, not entirely sure why. But it arrives next week I think. 

Thinking of sinking it in to the kitchen worktop (wood)- has anyone done this?  Does anyone have a surplus sunken tray? 

• Like 1

Machine: Londinium L1 (2012-2016)

Grinder: Titus EK43S

Beans: Typically; Machina Espresso, Baristocracy or Goldbox.

Instagram: andrewrellim

I've went for the XL, not entirely sure why. But it arrives next week I think. 

Thinking of sinking it in to the kitchen worktop (wood)- has anyone done this?  Does anyone have a surplus sunken tray? 

Congratulations on the purchase. Interested to know how you get on, in particular how it compares with the Londinium (which I also have). I’ve been considering a switch for a while now, but really like my L1 so have yet to pull the trigger.

Londinium I, Titus grinder, BWT MG2+ water filter