DavecUK

ACS Minima (Production machine)

I remembered about that after I posted but I thought I'd seen it listed as things fixed for the betas. Will have to check, I can just look at the boiler pressure anyway. I'd be interested in seeing this new expansion valve, the one in the betas seems beefy! Definitely bigger than the one in the expobar.

It definitely is a nice beefy valve. The temp display bug is fixed in the production machines, and a few other things. I actually have a firmware flasher for the Minima and the flash file with the software. So the betas can be reflashed to fix the bug and to upgrade their LSP to the same LSP as used on the Vesuvius.....That said it would be better to wait and not bother with the reflash just yet, because there might be a few things in the pipeline.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

OK, the reviews are public....there is a short review for people in a hurry and a long review for those that want to really learn something about the machine. Theres a bit in there that's going to upset some retailers...but what the hell.

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Hi Dave - did ACS drop the 2-hole steam tip from supplied accessories (as mentioned early in your review), however listed as an optional accessory at end of review?

They dropped it from mine, in fact I didn't get any felt pads either, just the grippy ones.

They dropped it from mine, in fact I didn't get any felt pads either, just the grippy ones.

They kicked an arse in the factory. Luckily they are cheap in the £1 bucket in Tesco's. You would be amazed at how many I have gone through fitting them on review machines for years ;)

Amazingly affordable replacement boiler prices quoted there. Well done ACS.

My minima operates at 12bar from the factory. Has anyone adjusted their machine to 9bar as mentioned in the review? Are there instructions on how to do it?

Thanks

yep davec as a video of how to do it. Not to difficult to find @Hindsight

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

That's why the retailers will hate me...I did everything I could to make sure they stick to MSRP or ACS will sell em direct. I can't do much about USA, but I suspect Jim (1st Line) will probably play ball. There is no profit in those boilers....but then they don't expect to have them fail (so profit wasn't really an issue)....The choice of boiler allowed them to give the customer a boiler that was way superior to the run of the mill stuff and any copper boiler allowing Incolloy 800 elements and surgical steel.

Backflushed mine with cleaner today...nice just to be able to do it and not worry about stripping down to lubricate anything :)

P.S. Apparently the Minima is proving popular, this pleases me because things are tough for the smaller guys in Italy and this needs/deserves to sell well.

I just talked to a shop owner here in Switzerland who has a beta machine and is from the area where they build the machines. He told me that they have orders for about 100 machines pending and I would have to wait several months to get one. Seems to be popular indeed!

I don't know, I will talk to Paolo and see...sounds a lot? Perhaps I'm a tad suspicious.

where are boiler spares quoted? LOL - only receiving my Minima tomorrow and already looking at spares!!

In the full review. 80 euro for brew, 100 for service.

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

By running at 9bar, instead of the factory presett, have folk noticed an improvement in coffee taste, or this more to put less strain on components?

By running at 9bar, instead of the factory presett, have folk noticed an improvement in coffee taste, or this more to put less strain on components?

It's for taste, I run at around 9 bar, you can run at that, or some people like 8 bar, others between 8 and 9 or even 7 bar. The expansion valve is a good quality one that's very adjustable. Some of the cheaper expansion valves won't allow for pressures lower than 9 bar, as they can either leak or simply can't divert enough water to get the pressure any lower. The article below covers things and the Minima Expansion valve is the large one on the right in the photo.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/opv-over-pressure-valve

I just talked to a shop owner here in Switzerland who has a beta machine and is from the area where they build the machines. He told me that they have orders for about 100 machines pending and I would have to wait several months to get one. Seems to be popular indeed!

Paolo thought this was a bit odd as I did for 2 reasons. Firstly he wasn't aware of any shop owners having a Beta Machine, the beta was only to 5 members of this forum (plus I had alphas and betas) and one machine went to the USA. No other beta machines were sent anywhere. The second reason is that although orders have been made and are fulfilled, he is not aware of 100 back orders and of course he would be..My suspicion is that the shop owner is saying, you will have a long wait for one of these, why not get "this other machine" instead. Fortunately for you (if you are actually interested in getting a Minima), Bella Barista have stock or will have imminently and can probably ship a machine out to you ;)

Ok, maybe some of it was just sales bogus. But the beta machine was standing there in his shop (with the pressure gauge still on the side). He even offered me the machine at a decent price. But if I get one I want the final production machine with all the improvements.

Ok, maybe some of it was just sales bogus. But the beta machine was standing there in his shop (with the pressure gauge still on the side). He even offered me the machine at a decent price. But if I get one I want the final production machine with all the improvements.

Odd, it wasn't sold to any retailers, perhaps someone sold their beta machine to them, or perhaps one of the beta people was either posing as a normal user, or started a business?...the beta program wasn't designed for retailers, it was designed to get feedback from real people.

Thanks Dave, you're always so helpful! I will take a look at video too!

Whilst you are on, I think the manual suggests 18g coffee and 40g out in 35-45 secs. Is that still 'the best' with the lower pressure? Also presume the timing is as per minima's own timer rather than from when espresso first appears in the cup (about 10 secs after you flick the brew switch on mine)

Thanks again

Thanks Dave, you're always so helpful! I will take a look at video too!

Whilst you are on, I think the manual suggests 18g coffee and 40g out in 35-45 secs. Is that still 'the best' with the lower pressure? Also presume the timing is as per minima's own timer rather than from when espresso first appears in the cup (about 10 secs after you flick the brew switch on mine)

Thanks again

Yes that's absolutely right, just use the machines built in shot timer, this way you're always being consistent. Actually I should update the manual, because I find with the standard double basket supplied for many coffees 17g is actually a better amount. I don't use the very much single, so can't really say for that.

I probably do 1:2 as a starting ratio, then you can go more or lest as the coffee/taste dictates, hopefully that's in the manual, if not I may well have to correct it. So for 17g in start at 34g out and then either go for less or more depending on you and your preference for that coffee.

Hi Dave , I saw on your blog review you use a wifi switch to turn the machine on and off , I have always wondered how many kw it uses having a small espresso machine on all day , does your wifi app give you daily totals ?

Thanks.

Hi Dave , I saw on your blog review you use a wifi switch to turn the machine on and off , I have always wondered how many kw it uses having a small espresso machine on all day , does your wifi app give you daily totals ?

Thanks.

It uses an average of 70W per hour Mine is on 17 hours per day (and 15 hours per day at weekends) with an average daily consumption of 1.4 kWh. It would cost you less than 20p per day at UK electric prices. If you have the steam boiler on all the time, a little more. Not quite double, but probably 70% more....personally I recommend turning the steam boiler on only when you need to on all dual boilers. You will find that advice in the user guides of most of them.

Not sure if this deserves its own thread so I thought I would stick it in here. I descaled my beta minima over the weekend and since then the group head doesn’t heat up. The boilers come up to temp but the group head is still cold after 30 minutes. Hot water comes out but it’s obviously lost a fair bit of heat to the metal as it comes through.

Any ideas anyone?

How did you descale it exactly....perhaps you have a lot of air in the boiler, but that depends on the method you used?

There are diagnostics you can do, but for now...let's get a bit more info.

Not sure if this deserves its own thread so I thought I would stick it in here. I descaled my beta minima over the weekend and since then the group head doesn’t heat up. The boilers come up to temp but the group head is still cold after 30 minutes. Hot water comes out but it’s obviously lost a fair bit of heat to the metal as it comes through.

Any ideas anyone?

Out of curiosity,

Was there a need for descaling or just “routine”? Is your water really hard?

Did you use the draining valves on the boilers? How did you descale it? Did you try priming the circuit to remove any air?