DavecUK

ACS Minima (Production machine)

I thought it worth starting a thread for the production machine as I think any more posts on the old beta thread is not hugely helpful. I am trying to complete the review and update the beta user guide to a final version as quickly as possible. I will try in the review to list many of the changed areas...or as many as is relevant and that I can remember. I think it's great that Bella Barista are carrying the machine and it seems to be proving popular already even though they were not sure about it's looks. Personally i think it's nice not to have the usual rectangular steel box.

Here is the first video of a shot from the production Minima.

[video=youtube_share;f5GsCetwYxA]

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I'm very much in a steep but enjoyable learning curve with my recently acquired Minima. One aspect which I'm finding challenging is steaming milk. After reading a number of posts I understand practice makes perfect but one thing which I think may help is a two hole steam tip, my machine only came with a three hole. Can any one point me in the right direction to purchase the correct fitting tip. I would also like to get a bottomless portafilter and again advice on compatible brands would be much appreciated.

I am also interested in one hole steaming tip for vesuvius if they are similar.

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

I'm very much in a steep but enjoyable learning curve with my recently acquired Minima. One aspect which I'm finding challenging is steaming milk. After reading a number of posts I understand practice makes perfect but one thing which I think may help is a two hole steam tip, my machine only came with a three hole. Can any one point me in the right direction to purchase the correct fitting tip. I would also like to get a bottomless portafilter and again advice on compatible brands would be much appreciated.

I'll try to remember to have a look at this and perhaps see what I can find.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Glad I didn't hold off until Minima to get a nice machine -- that took longer than I'd thought! That said, looks like a hell of a machine for the price. I like it.

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Niche Zero

Brewed: Hario V60, French press

I'm also interested in how to acquire a two hole steaming tip and a compatible bottomless portafilter. I'm minded to just take a punt on an eBay portafilter, but they give the impression of fitting specific machines and don't advertise the wing measurements. Even if they did, I'm not entirely sure how to measure them.

With a 3-hole tip I would probably go as vertical as I can into the centre of the milk just under the surface and count then gently lower a little. This is the approach that I find best with the Vesuvius (Minima has more power as I understand it so as a starting reference 200ml in the V is 8 secs initial gentle surf then gentle plunge for another 10 to 12 secs)

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

Thanks for the tip PaulL, I'll give it a try.

With regard to ebay sellers I contacted Edesia for advice but the reply was that it depends on the thickness of the lugs with no further advice so not much help really.

I think you're better off learning how to use a three hole tip. I went from a single hole expobar to the three hole minima and instantly got better microfoam. I only steam about 200ml at a time if that. Trick is to incorporate air from the very start and get the milk swirling straight away, when it is about body temperature you'll want to be just mixing. I start very slightly off centre and on an angle so the spout is touching the wand (it's repeatable this way), with the tip half submerged I turn the tap quickly (be confident and get it going) and after a few seconds of hissing/tearing/kissing it gets to body temp and I submerge a little deeper and leave the milk spinning until about 15 seconds it's getting too hot to touch and it's done.

Coming from the one hole tip the biggest thing to learn is when to start turning the tap off because it isn't instant and a couple of extra seconds will burn the milk!

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

I have 5 or 6 jugs to be honest, accumulated through the years in conventional shape and also torroidal but my favourite is an Ilsa about 10 years old maybe more. I just checked the capacity and it's 0.5L, I can't see it out there on the web but it looks like the 0.75L one in this link https://edobarista.com/en/product/250-anniversario-milk-pitcher-750ml

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

350ml Motta Europa. Fairly certain the capacity is measured to the brim rather than the ideal quantity of milk (I guess that changes).

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

25cl motta europa for flatties & 35cl motta europe for cappalattes. Tried the 35cl for flatties before but find it's too little milk to get good microfoam with.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Is the power cord hardwired on the Minima? I live in Switzerland and there's only one online shop which sells the machine totally overpriced. So I'm considering ordering from Bella Barista, but I'm not a fan of clumsy adapters and I would prefer if I could just replace the power cord.

No it's not hardwired, it plugs into the rear, STD connector.

Is the power cord hardwired on the Minima? I live in Switzerland and there's only one online shop which sells the machine totally overpriced. So I'm considering ordering from Bella Barista, but I'm not a fan of clumsy adapters and I would prefer if I could just replace the power cord.

Why not just replace the plug? It’s easy enough to do so.

Why not just replace the plug? It’s easy enough to do so.
In most cases that I know of you loose the warranty

In most cases that I know of you loose the warranty

Not with Bella Barista. I’ve done this myself (and checked with them before hand) on three occasions.

Not with Bella Barista. I’ve done this myself (and checked with them before hand) on three occasions.
Good to know, thanks!

Bella Barista are now stocking two hole steam tips.

Making progress with the 3 but with the small quantities of milk in using I'll give the 2 a try.

Now just to find a suitable bottomless portafilter

I bought a tiamo handleless pitcher that holds 300ml to the brim. I've been using it to steam 115-120ml of full cream milk with the 4 hole tip and get good microfoam. I placed the shot stand under the steam wand (there's only one position you can lock it into the drip tray with the little lugs so this should be repeatable) and put the jug onto it, then pushed the wand as low as it would go so it was facing back towards the machine with the tip partially submerged just slightly off centre and opened the valve. After a couple of seconds of aeration the milk was spinning and rising. Within about 15 seconds it was done to my taste but could be heated longer if you want it a bit hotter (I finished at about 50-55c).

I'm just posting this to give me a reminder to post the link to the final review in this thread. However for those who took part in the beta, a list of changes is available on the my review site..

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2019/04/10/acs-minima-beta-to-final-machine-changes/

There's a steam temp firmware bug? I'd be interested in reducing pump noise with better mounting, is this just something like silicone padding?

There's a steam temp firmware bug? I'd be interested in reducing pump noise with better mounting, is this just something like silicone padding?

yeah, you need to watch the beta review vids and stuff more carefully (plus I posted about it) about the display bug. If I remember rightly, set the offset at +3C for the service boiler, then whatever temp you put in on the PID will be the real temp it reaches, but it will show you a temp 3C lower, or something like that. This means you can put in 130C on the PID and although it might say 127 it will actually reach 130. You can check the temp you're really getting here. The Gicar has a hard coded firmware limit of a real 130C, so with the offset, you can't make it even bigger and get above 130C. it also has a programmed limit which prevents you setting a value of more than 130 in the PID, so to overcome that you use an offset....watch the vids

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/boiler-pressure-and-water-temperature

I think all of the Betas had the bug

They actually changed the pump mounts and moved the pump slightly, because remember the new machine has no dual gauge in side the case. It might be the pump is touching the case, so you could try a bit of padding?

I remembered about that after I posted but I thought I'd seen it listed as things fixed for the betas. Will have to check, I can just look at the boiler pressure anyway. I'd be interested in seeing this new expansion valve, the one in the betas seems beefy! Definitely bigger than the one in the expobar.