Been having as espresso so far, really nice, getting lots of stone fruit but it's quite old school if you know what I mean, with nutty chocolatey notes. I'll take a punt on a Guatamalan natural!

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

I also just had this as an espresso with the Pavoni. Tastes ok to me, but I would not say it’s amazing (to my taste at least, and I have to say I don’t have hyper sensitive tastebuds). I’m really enjoying it as a flat white in the morning though.

Only started this yesterday. Espresso only at the moment. Was going for 18-> 45 as per roaster suggestion but was about 31s . Flavours very unbalanced. I'd say it's still underextracted. Did you all find you had to go quite fine for preachiness to prevail?

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

Did you all find you had to go quite fine for preachiness to prevail?

No, not really. Peachiness seems there whatever.

For me this is all about that citrus hit. This is in-line with the roaster's notes so if you aren't getting that then it's possible you aren't in the window.

I’m definitely getting citrus, in both the Aeropress and espresso. Getting a tartè aftertaste too I think.

I’m useless at guessing the origins but at a guess I’d go with a washed Ethiopian maybe.

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

I’ve barely had any joy in half a kilo of this. Not that it’s bad, I’ve just had lots of variation cup to cup. I’m getting a bit of citrus, but not fruity. I can’t remember another bag I’ve had where I’ve had such variation in shot extraction, despite making minimal or no change in grind.

Sadly, I’d be happy to see this one go!

Nuova Simonelli Oscar II // Macap MXD //

Only started this yesterday. Espresso only at the moment. Was going for 18-> 45 as per roaster suggestion but was about 31s . Flavours very unbalanced. I'd say it's still underextracted. Did you all find you had to go quite fine for preachiness to prevail?

My shots we’re 18g => 36g 37 secs although I’m still playing about with it.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I settled down at 18->45 in 28s with 10~12s PI.

I am finding these beans a bit frustrating. I can in fact get a fine shot out of them but there is just no forgiveness. The grind setting for me is very fine (16 on NZ). In turn distribution and tamping need extra focus as any channeling whatsoever seems to result in extreme nastiness.

My preferred recipe is 18 into 40 over 30 seconds at 93degrees.

The shot I am currently sipping has a pleasant up front acidity, slightly lemon and maybe blackcurrant.

Then I'm getting milk chocolate with almond and a moderate sweetness.

I have not experienced any funk as others have described. I think this is washed process and would like to guess Guatemala.

I have not experienced any funk as others have described. I think this is washed process and would like to guess Guatemala.

I’m wondering whether this is a feature of the NZ. Someone said on this thread that they got a very different profile with all the funkiness with a Feld2.

I do have a Feld2 but I leave it at the office. As I only do one shot per day before I go to work it will be a very difficult thing for me to compare.

*** Reveal time. *** This is what you've all been drinking...

Producer — Salum Ramadhan

Region —Butaganzwa, Kayanza, Burundi

Producer — Shembati Smallholders

Process — Washed

Varietal — Red ~Bourbon

Altitude — 1800 masl

This coffee is the third coffee we have purchased from acclaimed producer and Nordic Approach partner Salum Ramadhan. This is the first crop we have purchased from the Shembati washing station situated in Kayanza. A stunning delicate washed coffee presenting the profile we love about Burundi coffees.

Although Salum has been working with smallholders in the Shembati area for some years now, the government changed the laws to limit the area washing stations can receive or accept cherry from,. To continue his partnership Salum built this washing station in 2016 and continues to produce exception coffees with the smalholders in the commune.

Tastes Like:

Citric. Forrest Fruits. Bright

Shout out to @Elcee who guessed the approximate region

I've definitely been getting this bright citrusy hit with delicate flavours behind it. The best brews I had of this were about a week post roast, it subsequently seemed to have dropped off a bit as filter.

I had a couple of espressos yesterday, 15g in, 35 out, not particularly pleasant, over acidic, and no other flavours to balance it. Today I used my Feld2 instead of my electric grinder, 22 in, 50 out, WOW! An amazing cup, citrus and a softer sugary backbone to balance things out.

Which electric grinder gave you got? And do you single dose? Thanks.

Don't give up on this coffee folks...the v60s and CCDs I am having from it are banging..and something quite different from the norm.

Don't give up on this coffee folks...the v60s and CCDs I am having from it are banging..and something quite different from the norm.
Still enjoying this as well.

Yesterday was more like a sweet orange in v60 for me.

Will move some on to espresso soon.

Have to say my December dripper brew this morning was a bit meh but recent v60s brews have been much nicer. There's clearly a window of extract where all that yummy sweetness and body is lurking

Still enjoying this as well.

Yesterday was more like a sweet orange in v60 for me.

Will move some on to espresso soon.

Sweet orange is a perfect descriptor!!! Nailed it.

Sweet orange is a perfect descriptor!!! Nailed it.
Always find my guesses are better post reveal

I had a last espresso today. It’s been a very nice coffee and it did change over time, but certainly enjoyable!

Can I go on the list please, looking forward to tasting this one (sorry phone jumped me to the wrong post and can't delete)

Banged out a few espresso earlier. Chucked one as sour. Found it likes a pretty fine grind. Nearly finished one bag, got the other to start yet. Roughly dosing 18g into 40g with a drop off to line pressure at the end and long pre-infusion at the start

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Banged out a few espresso earlier. Chucked one as sour. Found it likes a pretty fine grind. Nearly finished one bag, got the other to start yet. Roughly dosing 18g into 40g with a drop off to line pressure at the end and long pre-infusion at the start

I've weirdly found I need a really course grind for filter and really fine for espresso... Anyone else?

Used Tetsu San’s 4 - 6 V60 method over last couple of days. Pronounced increase in grapefruit acidity - really brings this LSOL offering alive.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Ive struggled with this one. Ive been adjusting the grind coarser and finer to get to around 1:2 in 30 seconds daily. There seems to be no sense to the changes that I'm having to make

When I'm close to these parameters it is sweet citrus and really sings. Anything outside and its not so great.

I'm starting to doubt my technique / equipment. Will check my consistency with the next bean that goes in the grinder

a grinder a lever and some beans

Ive struggled with this one. Ive been adjusting the grind coarser and finer to get to around 1:2 in 30 seconds daily. There seems to be no sense to the changes that I'm having to make

When I'm close to these parameters it is sweet citrus and really sings. Anything outside and its not so great.

I'm starting to doubt my technique / equipment. Will check my consistency with the next bean that goes in the grinder

I’ve had similar issues. I don’t think it’s down to my technique or equipment - it’s not something I’ve encountered very often in the last few years, tbh. When it hits it’s nice, but it so often misses - which leaves a rather ‘meh’ cup!

Nuova Simonelli Oscar II // Macap MXD //