lee1980

Artificial Grass anyone got?

We had a small extension last year. Garden is now a mess as digger etc wrecked grass. I was going to level it better and re-grow. Now family have offered to pay for artificial grass. Its not huge 6m x 6m. Is coming in at around 2.5k though to me seems a lot but sure it will look fantastic and no mud or mowing. We have a 3.6m opening through bi-folds in to the garden to so summers be good.

Anyone had any experience?

Thanks

Lee. (R58 and Zenith 65e)

Cheapest option is probably buying second hand (stadium) artificial turf. You may need to cut some of the heavily worn places out.

I use it for hawks and falcons. Last lot I bought was 25 years ago and it still is as good as new. What I could get in a pick up truck was about £50 then!

I have seen it advertised on fleabay, Google is your friend.

Thanks, yeah have looked at actual grass would use is about 600-700 to buy, the rest is labour, bedding materials and edging, just seems a lot lol.

As only taking off the top 100mm or a few inches, but expect if I did it would not be level, but how many lawns are really.

If I had the time I would do myself.

Thanks

If you are going for low maintenance does it have to be artificial grass ?

Does the area lend itself to paving or similar ?

I haven't looked into artificial turf but a friend laid some and the expense is in the preparation. He did have to re-lay the turf as he burnt holes in it with a bbq night

a grinder a lever and some beans

Wanted grass for kids etc to play, so not really want hard paving etc, and had the edge and in front of extension done with small patio and small bit for bbq last year.

True didn't think of the burning aspect with fake grass! lol will have to keep the BBQ under control on gas so less likely to drop hot coals on etc!

Thanks

I looked into artificial grass but was warned off it by a garden contractor. Quite a few downsides to it, well worth looking into it a bit more. As someone else said the expense is in the preparation and inadequate prep just makes more problems. I know it seems good and maintenance free, but it's not really maintenance free either. What I will say is how realistic some of the products actually look.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I am actually quite into my lawn... Like my coffee, another thing that my wife does not understand. Maybe it is the fact I get to put ear defenders on & say ‘keep the kids away’ while I am mowing... never thought I would enjoy mowing so much...

Last year we had a big patio built. Loads of work & if you remember the summer we had the lawns all went dormant...

Once the patio was complete the back garden & front needed complete new lawns... I did consider artificial turf but did also hear about some of the downsides & after seeing some artificial lawns here & there that just looked strange, & may I say it “fake” I decided to seed the lawns during that massive heatwave which is definitely not recommended...

I had to water the ground up to 6 times a day to keep the ground moist but the results cane through quick & within 4 weeks my lawn was well on the way to looking fantastic.

At 6 weeks the lawn was getting watered every day & cut every other day.. It looked amazing & was quite hilarious when you compared it to everyone else’s dormant brown lawns...

So to cut a long story short... Like me you may not think you could enjoy your lawn, but you have kids & a better half so like me you could consider ‘lawn time’ your time...

Managed to dig these out... 6 weeks after seeding. Was a load of dirt 6 weeks prior to these photos.

ac54eed35e2cd06080022808f9135eec.jpg

f7b6a24ebcc611671348252c8b59cf66.jpg

First mow of the year below from last weekend. Going be to a weekly mow from here on out & will be pushing that up to eventually 3 times a week at peak growing season which for me will be the summer as I will be watering too..

7bc85bb1de572f122f37954b6005a6bb.jpg

Thanks Howard, wow our garden is tiny lol, I do actually enjoy the mowing aspect as well as vacuming the house lol.

I think I am going to look at cost of new turf and getting some one to level it and install turf and edging versus the artificial install.

Where had bad spots before managed to grow grass to, it all just needs rotavating I guess and levelling.

Thanks

Thanks Howard, wow our garden is tiny lol, I do actually enjoy the mowing aspect as well as vacuming the house lol.

I think I am going to look at cost of new turf and getting some one to level it and install turf and edging versus the artificial install.

Where had bad spots before managed to grow grass to, it all just needs rotavating I guess and levelling.

Don’t know how able you are but you can do all this lawn stuff yourself.

Turf will cost about £2.50-£3.00 per square meter, so your looking at around £100 for your 36sqm area...

However seed will cost you about £15-20.

If you fancy doing a bit of the work yourself it would involve turning the whole are over & raking any of the large stones out, then adding a base of topsoil (the Westland topsoil from B&M is perfect for this)... Then throw the seed down, some more topsoil on top & then flatten it all down with your feet or using some kind of a board.

If you do seed you will really enjoy he process & when it starts to ‘sprout’ you will be checking it every day like a baby.

Good luck whatever you choose but whatever you do ‘mow it high’, keep your mower jacked up on the highest setting for at least the first year to help the lawn establish.

With a 6m x 6m lawn it shouldn't be much of a job to do yourself. I'd dig in or rotovate in plenty of well rotted manure and then level off the area ready for re-sowing or turfing. Having kids, I would go the turf option.

Theres loads of guides on preparing for a lawn - it isn't that onerous but preparing a level surface is key to a flat lawn. A scaffolding board or two are useful to walk along whilst laying turf.

a grinder a lever and some beans

With a 6m x 6m lawn it shouldn't be much of a job to do yourself. I'd dig in or rotovate in plenty of well rotted manure and then level off the area ready for re-sowing or turfing. Having kids, I would go the turf option.

Theres loads of guides on preparing for a lawn - it isn't that onerous but preparing a level surface is key to a flat lawn. A scaffolding board or two are useful to walk along whilst laying turf.

Yeh, keeping my lad off my seedlings was a bit of an issue for the first 4 weeks was a bit of an issue but we got there in the end.

If I had done a bit more over winter, I could of done myself and planted lawn etc, as it is summer is upon us and family and wife etc want to use garden!, it was mother in law that offered to pay for most of artificial grass. It just still seems a lot and issue is if not put down and ground prepared right to worry me. So turf will be quicker for instant grass and I can look after it etc easier.

Thanks

If I had done a bit more over winter, I could of done myself and planted lawn etc, as it is summer is upon us and family and wife etc want to use garden!, it was mother in law that offered to pay for most of artificial grass. It just still seems a lot and issue is if not put down and ground prepared right to worry me. So turf will be quicker for instant grass and I can look after it etc easier.

Well if your fake grass is going to cost 2.5k get the MIL to give you the cash then get someone in to turf it for a few hundred...

You should be left with 2k... That’s a nice new machine or grinder...

When the MIL sees it tell her it’s a new type of artificial grass that grows just like a real lawn.

lol I think even she will notice that! haha, thinking if I can do some of the prep work to, turfing be way cheaper!

Also typically in UK garden will be used 6 months of the year the rest its not used really well for us at the moment!

Thanks

Getting better quotes now, more like under 1k for turf and all nice edging etc versus just over 2k for artificial grass.

As we plan to stay long term artificial maybe that way to go, and i enjoy mowing etc but not mud from our 3 year old everywhere lol.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

I had issues with our new build's garden, didn't get it turfed so we had a patch of topsoil to do our own thing with. I always wanted to seed it myself and to also see what rubbish we were left with by the developer. We had lots of drainage issues and clay-like topsoil, so i'm glad I left it as topsoil for a good 6 months. Anyway, the developer sorted out the topsoil last June, and i eventaully seeded in September. It was a bit late for seed, granted, but it came through quite quick. It's still patchy, but we gave it a first mow last week and re-seeded it too.

It was great fun prepping the ground for seed last year - lots of raking, leveling off in certain areas (still not perfect!), adding nutrients to the ground etc but I know every part of the garden now and it should start to look great in a month or so when it gets a bit warmer.

So my thoughts regarding fake grass are mainly around drainage. Grass takes a lot of moisture out of the ground which is great for drainage issues, and a few tools to prep the ground for grass seed or turf are not expensive - shovel/hoe/rake/gloves. Now is the time to start prepping and for seeding!

Edited by MartinB

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

If you really want to have lots of fun this year, your welcome to come and sort out my back lawn. It will be super great fun for you....

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Getting better quotes now, more like under 1k for turf and all nice edging etc versus just over 2k for artificial grass.

As we plan to stay long term artificial maybe that way to go, and i enjoy mowing etc but not mud from our 3 year old everywhere lol.

I bet you will love brushing in the sand and regularly resanding so the artificial turf stands up. Cleaning off fox poo and cat crap, plus all the other nice things you need to do including weedkiller, moss killing etc.. Artificial turf is anything but maintenance free. I looked at it for the rear garden under a beech tree and after it was explained to me, i realise it would be far more work than my existing "lawn"

Thanks Dave, I guess we may not have some of those issues, as never see fox's etc and not seen any doing there business or cats but i guess may like fake grass to lol. Garden is south facing to so only ever had moss under a bush, but my concern is to how quick it will fade etc as we really get the sun all day like.

Its hard decision either way, just went out in garden after lots of rain and its like swamp thing muddy, of course worse as grass is patchy.

Will post results on here and how it goes once done.

Thanks

Thanks Dave, I guess we may not have some of those issues, as never see fox's etc and not seen any doing there business or cats but i guess may like fake grass to lol. Garden is south facing to so only ever had moss under a bush, but my concern is to how quick it will fade etc as we really get the sun all day like.

Its hard decision either way, just went out in garden after lots of rain and its like swamp thing muddy, of course worse as grass is patchy.

Will post results on here and how it goes once done.

It won't fade, but the moss will be something new for you to enjoy and you will get it, plus weeds, plus having to brush in sand regularly (or it won't stand up). it's also far less pleasant in a sunny spot than a shady one. Murf is relatively cheap and a lot easier to look after. My reason for evaluating artificial grass, was because it's very difficult for me to get grass to grow in the back garden, but it's still better than the hassle of artificial turf. Plus your neighbour only needs to get the "right" kind of tree next door for it to be an even bigger nightmare in autumn.

Of course if it all works out, I'd love to know more about what you used and the location it's in especially if you have a large Beech tree next door as I have.

I will ask about the moss, but sure will say wont get! Very small garden and next door has no tree's well had a small apple one but lopped the top off that.

I understand I did ask on here to get a wider opinion to.

Thanks

Garden is being done today, well grass down, prep been done, gone for artificial so we will see how all goes. I am just hoping it all drains well and doesn't look crappy after a winter lol.

Got a better quote in the end from a landscaping company rather than one of the ones that have just popped up to artificial grass. Hoping to they will do it all better etc.

Thanks

Finished yesterday, happy overall, as it was getting like a swamp out there when there was no grass hardly after extension! join will fade blend in more when it dries out well better!

Its been raining non stop since done doh!

thumbnail_IMG_8390.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8389.jpg

Thanks

Update: as the join still looks pretty poor compared to what I have seen online and others have seen it and said its not the best, I have asked for it to be re-done as there is gap between the base mat off the grass of about 1cm so in effect there is less strands of grass along join so this is why it looks more visible. Also the join would of been better perpendicular to where it is now but that would of meant more expensive 2x 3m wide rolls!

agghhhh

Well last visit they did say will come back if still not happy so we will see!

Thanks