Scotford

London Coffee Festival 2019 roll call

So then, tickets are out, promo has started and there's 4 weeks to go.

Who's going?

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Who's going?

The number of times I've been offered free tickets, but could never muster up the enthusiasm to attend. I see it a bit like Star Trek, I like the show, but wouldn't go to a convention.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

The number of times I've been offered free tickets, but could never muster up the enthusiasm to attend. I see it a bit like Star Trek, I like the show, but wouldn't go to a convention.
TBF Dave, it is just a bit of a spectacle of how to show off in front of a paying audience for some of the exhibitors these days.

But on the other end of the scale, there are some absolutely cracking coffees and experiences to be had though.

You should give it a try on the industry days if you're not into ramjam crowds of people fawning over robotic arms or the latest latte art demo.

Yup - wife bought tickets for us and two of our nephews before Christmas. My little boy will be about two months old at that point and will be downing babyccinos* like they're going out of fashion**.

* Note to social services: joke!

** Should never have been in fashion.

Sage Duo Temp Pro ++ Sage Smart Grinder Pro ++ Aeropress ++ V60

http://www.bhxcoffee.com

Who's going?

Might be a better chance of bumping into you there than at your shop?

That said I couldn't find the Curve stand last time I went (2017) despite directions being obtained. To be fair I only made it to Brixton twice, once after that weekend, the second time after the sky went orange/grey in the wake of a storm...got some nice fish to cook both times though.

Would like to go again despite the Star Trek warning, will see if I can fix a few days off in the new job.

Yeah I'll be there on Saturday morning. My girlfriend is coming too, who isn't much of a coffee fan... We'll see how that works!

TBF Dave, it is just a bit of a spectacle of how to show off in front of a paying audience for some of the exhibitors these days.

But on the other end of the scale, there are some absolutely cracking coffees and experiences to be had though.

You should give it a try on the industry days if you're not into ramjam crowds of people fawning over robotic arms or the latest latte art demo.

I have also been invited to the Milan Coffee show industry days (5 times now), perhaps in 2019 I might attend the Milan one, that sort of piques my interest. I didn't go last time because I was too fat and in Italy it's not a good look. Fortunately I am not fat now and have no qualms about attending. ;)

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Might be a better chance of bumping into you there than at your shop?

Yeah to be fair it's a rare day I do a full service these days.

This year I'll be working with Curve in the roasters village every day, chatting lots and brewing up some utterly amazing coffees.

The shop also has a slot on the True Artisan Cafe Friday PM session (right before the launch party, conveniently) slinging some Fed-spresso and a bit o booze for the masses.

Should be a fun year tbh!

From a coffee drinker point of view what's there to see? Apart from masses of people, cause it's uber busy I can't really see anything attractive. Meet up with like minded peeps perhaps, but how many coffees will you try before you get all buzzy and over caffeinated?

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

From a coffee drinker point of view what's there to see? Apart from masses of people, cause it's uber busy I can't really see anything attractive. Meet up with like minded peeps perhaps, but how many coffees will you try before you get all buzzy and over caffeinated?

T.

I had a similar mindset as it was always too busy to chat up people behind counters.

I bought a ticket for Glasgow one this year again. There are few new coffee shops and roasters in the field that I want to try, maybe get few bags or gadgets as well. Glasgow Coffee Festival isn’t massive, but still busy - so an hour or so will probably be enough to wander around and disappear.

I had a similar mindset as it was always too busy to chat up people behind counters.

I bought a ticket for Glasgow one this year again. There are few new coffee shops and roasters in the field that I want to try, maybe get few bags or gadgets as well. Glasgow Coffee Festival isn’t massive, but still busy - so an hour or so will probably be enough to wander around and disappear.

I think that was the issue what last year's LCF, most booths were so busy you'd have to wait 10-15min to have a chat with anyone. That makes the whole thing pointless, especially if you've paid for tickets.

T.

I think that was the issue what last year's LCF, most booths were so busy you'd have to wait 10-15min to have a chat with anyone. That makes the whole thing pointless, especially if you've paid for tickets.

T.

We did manage to find a booth (that shall not be named) that wasn’t busy at all. I fancied beans from them as they roast alongside of selling equipment.

- Hi

- Hi

I looked at some beans, stood like an idiot for few moments and carried on. It’s fine if you don’t want to engage to your potential customer, but come on!

Maybe it’s introverted me, but I worked in hospitality (and even tastings!!!) and I managed to engage with people who had at least some interest. It’s not that difficult, once you get in that mood.

I’m changing my strategy this time around and I’ll be aggressive customer! You’ll have to kick me out if you don’t want me and I’ll get my money’s worth.

I looked at some beans, stood like an idiot for few moments and carried on. It’s fine if you don’t want to engage to your potential customer, but come on!

Maybe it’s introverted me, but I worked in hospitality (and even tastings!!!) and I managed to engage with people who had at least some interest. It’s not that difficult, once you get in that mood.

This is the thing I find strangest about the London Coffee festival every year you'll find quite a few places where the people are either talking to each other or just not interested in talking. I can't fathom the point of going if you haven't at least got the gumption to try and talk to somebody that's looking at your stuff. Of course the other extreme doesn't help - you find a place where the guy is talking endlessly to one person with a mass of people hoping to get in on the action...Still I go, I just drink too much espresso and regret choices on the train ride home...

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

I think part of it is the whole coffee bro culture, where the booth team is having a good time chatting between themselves completely forgetting why they are there in the first place.

Personally I wouldn't mind going for some technical chats, but I think 95% of it is a sales event + crowds of hipsters going there just because it's popular.

T.

We'll be down visiting on the Thursday industry day, so do please stop and say hello if you find us in the crowd.

We found James Hoffman's view on the festival from last year pretty interesting... and you'll notice Square Mile aren't exhibiting this year

emoji251.png&emoji145.png

Perplexes me that you have to buy tickets to attend something where they want to sell things to you.

We'll be down visiting on the Thursday industry day, so do please stop and say hello if you find us in the crowd.

We found James Hoffman's view on the festival from last year pretty interesting... and you'll notice Square Mile aren't exhibiting this year

He talks a lot of sense! Totally agree with buying your own coffee and testing the experience - a lot of businesses would do well to listen to that (not meaning coffee/anyone here particularly) :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer tool / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 340ml pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / and a large array of coffee towels!

Didn't he say that it was uber busy and that they will be doing smth different next year?

T.

I've never felt like the festival is organised by somebody who knows what it's like to go there. I always find it terrifically difficult to find my way around for a start.

Edited by jlarkin

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

I've never felt like the festival is organised by somebody who knows what it's like to go there.

This is pretty nail on head tbh. Allegra are a market research company first and foremost and subcontract most aspects of the organisation and running of LCF to as many people as they can so of course, the festival has no real flow or overall organisation. I look at it like many different mini festivals each that has its own vibe.

you'll notice Square Mile aren't exhibiting this year

They never normally do a lot on their own at LCF. Last year was the decade anniversary so they went a bit ott and showed off, and quite rightly so tbh.

I have also been invited to the Milan Coffee show industry days (5 times now), perhaps in 2019 I might attend the Milan one, that sort of piques my interest. I didn't go last time because I was too fat and in Italy it's not a good look. Fortunately I am not fat now and have no qualms about attending. ;)

[snort] Not a good look in Italy?

Is is a good look here then?

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

Friday for me and maybe there's something wrong with me but I think it's a great experience. Sure there are things to put up with (the noise for one) but I have met wonderful, wonderful people there (including Forum members) who simply want to talk about their passion. Going very early helps to get a quick sense of where things are before it gets too busy, planning in some breaks or experiences, and... well, it's for me and I know it's not for everyone but that's what makes life all the richer.