Batian

La Pav Pro brass/copper ..warnings and info

Posted (edited)

After a few weeks wait, I was able to collect the base, boiler and group-head from the metal polishers.

I was able to contact Peter at Avicenna's Solutions. He warned me that he had never come across a base that was brass and that they had all been plated or painted steel and to be careful with the polishing.

This one is definitely brass or a similar alloy!

I did the smaller items with a entry level bench grinder/polisher and a Dremmel type tool.

In a hurry to assemble the polished items for the photo-call, I missed a couple of things among the wrappings.

What? (no prizes!)

And the pre polish pics

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

All I have to do is try and remember how to put it all back together again....

3.jpg

Edited by Glenn

Apologies, what do you need for this, looks beautiful by the way

AKA Toffee chips

Looking really nice .. Are you going to lacquer or not ?

The brass looking lever came up well .

Apologies, what do you need for this, looks beautiful by the way

List yet to be completed, but all the seals for starters. Then a new sight glass and cover.

Then, as budget allows, a brass bottomless portafilter, brass drip tray cover and perhaps wooden handles. I may have a go at the drip tray myself, especially if I find they are not brass but lacquered steel!

@Nicknak

The brass looking lever is new. The other lever is the original with its lacquer removed. It came to me with worn patches and was an eyesore. I would not have bought a new one if I had known that brass did not mean brass but meant brass coloured! (see earlier posts)

At present I do not intend to lacquer, but let it attain a patina. I thought the lacquer would be nice, but from the experience of this machine, the lacquer wears/chips at places like the lever to group point and the PF to group points. Then the water creeps in and spreads under the lacquer. I can always change my mind and lacquer, but its a major job getting it off when it goes chipped and milky!

@Batian it will look lovely when put back together .. I think you are right with the lacquer . I have just read beeswax or carnuabu wax or linseed oil can protect copper , never tried it .. I have nearly finished the brass lever I’m making .

i will let you know how it works .

I think just letting it age naturally will also look really good over time

AKA Toffee chips

Ok gasket kit is 25 euro plus shipping an getting thw price of sight glass

AKA Toffee chips

It does seem a shame to spend all that time to get it like that , and then get green/blue streaks on the copper .

Ok gasket kit is 25 euro plus shipping an getting thw price of sight glass

Please add a front badge to the list.

Thanks. @coffeechap

A cautionary tale and tip!

When I was dismantling the machine I took a great deal of care, particularly when working with the boiler. It always had several layers of old towel to prevent knocks dents and dings etc. When not working on the machine everything was wrapped in bubble wrap etc.

Last week came the big day of putting everything back together. I decided to start with the sight glass mounts as I figured this would be easier before attaching the boiler to the base. When these were removed, my spanners had no problem reaching in from the bottom of the boiler. Reassembly was different. The bottom bracket was fine, but the top one was a pig. I could not get enough of a turn to be able to remove spanner and continue. Strange as when taking it off I did not have a problem. What I had to do was use different spanners of the same size alternatively. This meant one of the spanners was to short and was fully inside the boiler and I was have to grip with just finger tips. It resulted in several slips off the nut and jerks so that the spanner collided with the inside of the boiler.............

Oh dear.

Brackets mounted, line up tested with the glass tube--------then I saw the dints from the inside out. (expletives deleted )

I was gutted. The boiler had been near perfect and I had really goofed.

Cost of new boiler...£230 plus carriage....more expletives!

Back in the day, I was a skuleboy trombonist and I can remember dents being removed from brass instruments quite often.

Google was my friend and I found a local trumpet maker. A week later the boiler is back, and like new.

It was not cheap, but it was a whole lot cheaper than a new boiler.

AND he had to make a tool to do the job. Apparently the boiler metal is about twice as thick as a brass instrument and that presented a few problems.

He did show me the tool, so if any one fancies a go at dent removal, I can give you a description.

Just to pass on a couple of things that Batain came across in his restoration, he has left these shores for the moment but messaged me about a couple more details that he came across - Ive seen the picture if the finished machine and have to say its one of the best restorations I have ever seen - absolutely mouth wide open stunning

Also a couple of warnings you may wish to pass on.

1)The brass drip tray plate sold by the espressoshop and others  is not brass, it's painted steel...like the brass lever !

2) The PF's sold by Eddessia Espresso on eBay and other places now come threadlocked as standard. There is no way to release the threadlock in the plastic  handle  without destruction.

However, its not all bad news, if a customer declares at the time of purchase, they will send one that has not been threadlocked..

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

14 minutes ago, jimbojohn55 said:

Just to pass on a couple of things that Batain came across in his restoration, he has left these shores for the moment but messaged me about a couple more details that he came across - Ive seen the picture if the finished machine and have to say its one of the best restorations I have ever seen - absolutely mouth wide open stunning

Also a couple of warnings you may wish to pass on.

1)The brass drip tray plate sold by the espressoshop and others  is not brass, it's painted steel...like the brass lever !

2) The PF's sold by Eddessia Espresso on eBay and other places now come threadlocked as standard. There is no way to release the threadlock in the plastic  handle  without destruction.

However, its not all bad news, if a customer declares at the time of purchase, they will send one that has not been threadlocked..

Stop teasing 😄.. and ...

• Like 1