DayZer0

ECM Mechanika Slim high boiler pressure

Hi ECM owners

My Slim idles at 1.45 bar (but occasionally drops as low as 1.3 before you hear the heater kick back in).

The instructions say the machine heats up to 1 to 1.25 bar range. I did email ECM who said 1.45 is still within tolerances.

Anyway I wanted to ask what experience others have with this? My only comparison so far is based on looking at photos/videos machines online and it rarely looks like the boiler pressure is that high.

I'm a beginner so reluctant to start opening up the machine and experimenting, so hopefully everything is fine, just want some reassurance from those with more experience.

Thanks

I would reduce the pressure to 1.1-1.3 cycle, procedure is not so difficult

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

I had heard that ecm machines came with the pressure slightly high. I got mine from Bella Barista, who I believe sometimes tweak them before sending out.

Anyway, I tweaked mine afterwards and asked BB about doing it. This is what they said;

‘I have the machine switched on when doing this but bear in mind when poking around inside that there is live electrics. Remove the top lid by removing the 4 x Allen key bolts and you will see the pressure stat in clear view. (see image below)

Using an insulated screw driver just turn the pressure stat a ¼ turn anti clockwise, then purge the steam for 10 seconds to activate the element and wait and watch until you see/hear the pressure stat click the element off. Clockwise turns the pressure up – Anti clockwise turns the pressure down.’

For what it’s worth, a quarter turn adjusted the pressure by about 0.2 bar.

e561ed9944a754116938a42bb4671cd9.jpg

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

Before I try and make an adjustment I wanted to check if you all think it's worth it at all.

Here is a link to a cooling flush this morning after circa 30 min idle (you can also see the pressure reading).

[video=youtube_share;gj-GWMdN8n4]

Is this normal?

Needs at least 100ml flush but can't say I'm exactly sure when I've flushed enough. I'm using bottled water so if changing the pressure improves this then that's a big bonus.

I assume the downside is losing steam pressure if I reduce, but is it actually noticeable?

Thank you!

Yeah that’s too much for a modern ECM.

The slim is tank only isn’t it - so I’d recommend topping out at the 1.25 mark that should be fine.

You stop flushing as soon as the flash boiling stops generally.

Note that with a pstat there’s a ‘bottom out’ and ‘top out’ pressure - the lower point at which it will click-on and the upper pressure where it clicks-off. Ensure the 1.25 or whatever u set is the click-off, the upper limit.

When adjusting the pressure it can take 30 mins or so to settle down and only then will u see if you’ve got it where you want it - so after making an adjustment leave it for a while to settle and check it’s where u want it

A modern ECM has a tuned heat exchanger and should be a relatively short flush even after 30 mins.

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Thank you

I can try adjusting down to 1.25, do you do this with the machine on or off?

Regarding the flash boiling point. Do you think i was flushing too long in the video?

Thank you

Regarding the flash boiling point. Do you think i was flushing too long in the video?

I used to do it with the machine on though obviously that has risks.

It sounds and looks to me the flash boiling stopped around 14 seconds?

The second little flush is unnecessary and will cool the group even more ;-)

Lots of HX reading on here - good learning :-)

Live and Let Live

Thank you

Turn the machine off on the wall. Adjust. Turn it back on again. There’s absolutely no point to do so with the machine on. In fact, the machine off will help you by cooling things so you can see when it’s kick in again.

Ok. Thanks all.

Just under a quarter turn seems to have got me to a 1.3 to 1.1 cycle. I'll report back if it makes a difference to flush or steam!

Thanks

In the video above I see boiling water till the end.

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Hi all

I reduced the pressure this afternoon. It's now cycling up to about 1.3 and then cools off to about 1.1.

I then repeated this morning's experiment. The machine had been idle for well over an hour.

The cooling flush seems about the same. But perhaps it was unrealistic to expect this to have an effect?

I suppose while ever the steam boiler has a higher temp than desired for brew water, you will always end up super-heating a certain volume of water in the brew pipe? Perhaps I have to live with a 100ml flush after a long idle and that the lower boiler pressure may only make a bit of difference when comparing shorter idle times, say 15 mins?

In that case, is there really any downside then to just running a 1.5 bar pressure as I had before?

Thank you!

I would lower it more if it was mine - it will have a direct effect on the amount of flash boiling.

Not see the vid though if it’s like the last one it’s too much - these ECM run cool relative to other perhaps older hx machines and are noted for their small flushes.

A lot of people run them topping out at 1bar even though in my view that’s a little low - perfect for the first shot though rebound is too slow.

Running at 1.5 will make it a steaming monster and the flush would be too big.

Keep experimenting - you’ll be changing the pressure on it constantly for the next 6 months anyway ;-)

Live and Let Live

Please remove that warning sticker from the grouphead before it etches itself onto the chrome! You know it's gonna be hot when up to temp.

It may also be an idea to get a grouphead thermometer like an erics or coffee sensor so you know when you've flushed enough.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Keep experimenting - you’ll be changing the pressure on it constantly for the next 6 months anyway ;-)

Yes, I think I've started down a dark path today!

Please remove that warning sticker from the grouphead before it etches itself onto the chrome! You know it's gonna be hot when up to temp.

It may also be an idea to get a grouphead thermometer like an erics or coffee sensor so you know when you've flushed enough.

These look interesting. I actually watched a few youtube videos of the Coffee Sensor and similar and in most cases people were flushing about as many seconds as I am having to do. Perhaps I just need to find peace with the water wastage. I will also try lower pressures as Kennyboy993 suggested.

It’s a good path... it screws your head sometimes, but once you learn it, it’s quite satisfying.

FWIW it sounds like your second video is not far off?

The first video you can hear flash boiling (bubbling) for quite some time, till about 15s into the video. In the second it seems way shorter, but you still kept flushing anyway.

I flush to the end of flash boiling, usually less than 50ml, maybe only 30-40ml sometimes. I then lock and load, and pull the shot ASAP. I do not like wasting water, especially bottled - because I’m tight!

A group thermometer does not solve everything, but it does make it a lot more transparent. It does help with consistency.

Enjoy messing about.

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

It’s a good path... it screws your head sometimes, but once you learn it, it’s quite satisfying.

FWIW it sounds like your second video is not far off?

The first video you can hear flash boiling (bubbling) for quite some time, till about 15s into the video. In the second it seems way shorter, but you still kept flushing anyway.

I flush to the end of flash boiling, usually less than 50ml, maybe only 30-40ml sometimes. I then lock and load, and pull the shot ASAP. I do not like wasting water, especially bottled - because I’m tight!

A group thermometer does not solve everything, but it does make it a lot more transparent. It does help with consistency.

Enjoy messing about.

Thanks. Perhaps I was judging it wrong. Were you going off the roaring sound?

I had been trying to watch the bubbling out the group head but when I watched back and just listened the second video hissed less.

Thanks. Perhaps I was judging it wrong. Were you going off the roaring sound?

I had been trying to watch the bubbling out the group head but when I watched back and just listened the second video hissed less.

That’s it! (At least I hope so, or I’ve been doing it wrong)

It’s water boiling on contact with the air essentially. It sounds like squeezing air though a wet sock. When it stops, you’re good to go.

Note that there are other ways of using HX machines - the long flush and other methods. If you’re on bottled water, you’ll probably want the ‘flush and go’ technique.

Look it up for other advice as well.

And this thread illustrates well the main reason I moved away from an HX machine to a Dual Boiler. I could not bear 150ml+ of bottled water being wasted twice a day.

And this thread illustrates well the main reason I moved away from an HX machine to a Dual Boiler. I could not bear 150ml+ of bottled water being wasted twice a day.

In the grand scheme of things, bottled Waitrose water is still bloody cheap. But I do know what you mean. Buying bottled water suddenly makes you very conscious of it. If I was plumbed in, I probably would not care. I’d ‘flush my arse off’ so to speak.

I use my flush water to heat cups so to be honest couldn’t make coffee using less water anyway.

As an aside. When I had the machine lid off and turned it on. As it was heating up, there was a very small spurt of water out of a metal valve on the boiler, which it then seemed to seal itself. I took this photo straight after and you can see the droplets

Is this normal?

20190224_145429.jpg

I think so. It will just evaporate eventually.

On the Profitec Pro 700, the one I had had a silicone hose which would take it to a vent just above the drip tray.

Edited by MediumRoastSteam