Heligan

EK43 - hype or hip?

So @Heligan how are you finding your L1/Niche combo?

I love the workflow of the Niche and the ability to switch beans so easily. I do find that the Niche adds some earthier tones and seems to take out the "top notes" of lighter roasts compared with my Mythos - I get less of the fruity/floral elements. However the results are still very good and I am finding myself using the Niche rather than the Mythos because it's so easy. The Niche also gets used for Rave's decaf, which is what my husband drinks. For that I don't perceive any benefit with the Mythos.

I've got my L1 up for sale currently because I'm interested in what an LR can do with lighter roasts, but then I'm also looking at getting an EK43 to pair with it. I'll keep the Niche though, for the decaf and the occasional medium roast beans.

Not sure if that covers what you want to know - please ask if not!

but then I'm also looking at getting an EK43 to pair with it.

Please test it out first, it might not be the best option for espresso, most of the coffee shops I have been to use it for alternative methods, not for espresso.

I love the workflow of the Niche and the ability to switch beans so easily. I do find that the Niche adds some earthier tones and seems to take out the "top notes" of lighter roasts compared with my Mythos - I get less of the fruity/floral elements. However the results are still very good and I am finding myself using the Niche rather than the Mythos because it's so easy. The Niche also gets used for Rave's decaf, which is what my husband drinks. For that I don't perceive any benefit with the Mythos.

I've got my L1 up for sale currently because I'm interested in what an LR can do with lighter roasts, but then I'm also looking at getting an EK43 to pair with it. I'll keep the Niche though, for the decaf and the occasional medium roast beans.

Not sure if that covers what you want to know - please ask if not!

Thank you, just glad to hear the results are good for you.

I think an LR and an EK would pretty much be my dream set up, I'll be excited just to see the pictures! :D

Thanks again, lots to think about!

:)

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Please test it out first, it might not be the best option for espresso, most of the coffee shops I have been to use it for alternative methods, not for espresso.

I've used the EK and L1/LR at previous Forum days at Rave, and there's a coffee shop near me which uses theirs for single origin decaf espresso, so I'm not going into this blind, but I do take your point, thank you.

I've used the EK and L1/LR at previous Forum days at Rave, and there's a coffee shop near me which uses theirs for single origin decaf espresso, so I'm not going into this blind, but I do take your point, thank you.

Great! I just hate us spending so much money testing these overly expensive machines and not liking them.

Only for decaf.... sad face times :(

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Grinders have an influence on taste, in terms of small, but very specific changes. But more often that not, it's the round hole of our arbitrary definitions that makes a lot of grinders an apparent square peg.

A tasty, representative cup is achievable with a £150 hand grinder.

Not sure the small statement is entirely true I can think of quite a few grinders that have made big differences in the cup using the same equipment!

AKA Toffee chips

Lots of folk on here have got ek43s at home with their machines, it would help if you spoke from experience as pretty much all the folk that have the ek at home love them. No real caution needed here, if you want the very best from espresso and the flexibility to do other brew methods and have single dosing with zero retention, there is really not a lot else that comes close I terms of exceptional.

Edited by coffeechap

AKA Toffee chips

Not sure the small statement is entirely true I can think of quite a few grinders that have made big differences in the cup using the same equipment!

Probably best to start a thread on this subject, but it's worth considering that equipment, or the recipe (both of these are decided by the barista, not the grinder itself) may be limiting the extraction is some way. We'd really need some data to make an apples to apples comparison.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Probably best to start a thread on this subject, but it's worth considering that equipment, or the recipe (both of these are decided by the barista, not the grinder itself) may be limiting the extraction is some way. We'd really need some data to make an apples to apples comparison.

I agree, or how about folk who give advice to actually have experience of a broad spectrum of grinders at all levels.

AKA Toffee chips

I agree, or how about folk who give advice to actually have experience of a broad spectrum of grinders at all levels.

Or both.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Lots of folk on here have got ek43s at home with their machines, it would help if you spoke from experience as pretty much all the folk that have the ek at home love them. No real caution needed here, if you want the very best from espresso and the flexibility to do other brew methods and have single dosing with zero retention, there is really not a lot else that comes close I terms of exceptional.

How is my statement different than yours?

Yes! Please!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

Is this from experience?

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

How is my statement different than yours?

You advised caution based on what you have seen in a coffee shop, you seem to tout that you have a vast knowledge of all things coffee related, or at least that’s what you imply. What equipment do you have at home, how much experience have you got have using top end equipment?

What I would like you to know is that in terms of espresso I have pretty much owned or used ALL of the top grinder and have an LR and gs3 mp at home. I have stripped and rebuilt most grinders, have even had a go on the niche which is the topic of this thread. Why don’t you start a thread about your experiences with equipment?

AKA Toffee chips

Is this from experience?

Having to drink from it, yes, having it on my bench, no.

Edited by webdoc

You advised caution based on what you have seen in a coffee shop, you seem to tout that you have a vast knowledge of all things coffee related, or at least that’s what you imply. What equipment do you have at home, how much experience have you got have using top end equipment?

What I would like you to know is that in terms of espresso I have pretty much owned or used ALL of the top grinder and have an LR and gs3 mp at home. I have stripped and rebuilt most grinders, have even had a go on the niche which is the topic of this thread. Why don’t you start a thread about your experiences with equipment?

I know Chap, i have and had high end hardware myself, this is not a flexing topic nor an on topic subject to discuss here. All I wanted to do is to give a reasonable advice IMO, to test anything one buys before spending so much for it, as my impression of the EK is that is the top grinder suitable for brew and a decent one for espresso. Overall I agree its the best all around for its price, except if its used only for espresso, at home!

Only for decaf.... sad face times :(

And for V60, but they have two Mythos for regular espresso. I've chatted to one of the owners at length, he's decided that using the EK for all espresso just wouldn't suit their workflow. The way I look at it, if I go there in the afternoon I have to drink decaf or I won't sleep, so I get a really tasty espresso :)

Overall I agree its the best all around for its price, except if its used only for espresso, at home!

Good I am glad you agree and clearly you have not had an ek at home otherwise you would not have made the statement about espresso, the ek is excellent at espresso, perhaps you don’t know how to get the best out of one or perhaps you are much more akin to traditional type espresso shots. Anyway enjoy the drink you make!

AKA Toffee chips

I know Chap, i have and had high end hardware myself, this is not a flexing topic nor an on topic subject to discuss here. All I wanted to do is to give a reasonable advice IMO, to test anything one buys before spending so much for it, as my impression of the EK is that is the top grinder suitable for brew and a decent one for espresso. Overall I agree its the best all around for its price, except if its used only for espresso, at home!

Most new EKs come poorly aligned and with the wrong burr set. How does testing a new one help?

The whole point of an EK is to align it and find a burr set that suits your bean preference. After that it's arguably the best espresso grinder.

Is this from experience?

To be fair, you don't see many decent volume shops using an ek for espresso.

It's a balls for workflow and isn't to everyone's taste for. Milk drinks.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

It's actually pretty easy with a dosing attachment. The point was that nobody should buy an EK43 based on it's stock performance.

EK...... Overall I agree its the best all around for its price, except if its used only for espresso, at home!

Based on what evidence?

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Most new EKs come poorly aligned and with the wrong burr set.

So you have actual statistics to back this generalisation? Matt Perger came second in the WBC using a stock unaligned original EK43 in 2013 using first generation coffee burrs (AKA wrong burr set).

The whole point of an EK is to align it and find a burr set that suits your bean preference. After that it's arguably the best espresso grinder.

No it isn't. The old saying, 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it' doesn't seem to hold with some purists (or is that obsessives) endlessly pursuing the Holy Grail. For many the journey is all - they don't really want to arrive.

Sure, some professional/amateurs have measured, shimmed, sanded their EKs to ensure greater micron alignment. But, I haven't found any controlled blind tasting trials that show any taste differences in the cup from a 'poorly aligned' EK and one that is bob on. What there is out there are unsubstantiated anecdotal remarks which get repeated without scrutiny or question and adopted as truths.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs