joey24dirt

VB Kaffee beans

Thought I’d maybe start a thread off @Hasi for us lucky recipients to post in, I hope that’s ok.

Stood here, in the kitchen, waiting for my machine to warm up. Just having a look at the packaging. Is it all recyclable materials? I think you mentioned it was in your road to roasting thread.

Love the label trick..

6187c2b7805187ce77c3c7f2286e9987.jpg

I know you mentioned starting the other bean first, but I don’t have V60 papers yet and my AP is at work, so went with the next on the list for espresso (see above label). I’ve been told of notes of creamy praline, toffee/caramel so I’ll do my best to find these.

A lot darker than my usual fix, smell from the bag is great

8720e414468d818adfaacc8805b757d9.jpg

I pulled a shot last night but it wasn’t dialled in properly, so I’ll update once my machine is warmed up.

Thanks again for sending the beans over

• Like 3

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

haha ho noes... a thread of its own...

sure go ahead!

What I find is there seems to be quite some truth to the statement of 'the farther south you get the darker they roast' so I've sent some baggies up North to find out what yer taste buds are like!

Looking forward very much

Edited by Hasi
typohhh
  • Like 2

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

So......how many bags do you think you will be coming through customs with when you come over for the forum day....:)

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

So......how many bags do you think you will be coming through customs with when you come over for the forum day....:)

John

Wouldn't dare to deliver into Rave's premises
  • Like 2

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Wouldn't dare to deliver into Rave's premises

Been done before mate :)

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Been done before mate :)
Car park sales event, then... :whistle:

Let's see!

• Like 2

says Hasi.

Car park sales event, then... :whistle:

Let's see!

Or just pm shortshots to ask permission.
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

in case this turns out feasible I'd surely seek clearance

sorry off-topic, on with the thread

• Like 2

says Hasi.

Tbh that's very dark and highly unecessary for a SO. That's usually what an Italian blend looks like and they have their reasons for that.

Full disclosure, I'm on the lighter side of light.

Tbh that's very dark and highly unecessary for a SO. That's usually what an Italian blend looks like and they have their reasons for that.

What's your background if I may ask?

An image doesn't ultimately do a colour justice. In general, colour measurements are just there for quality control towards a reference colour of the same bean and roast. Some beans typically roast to a lighter colour than others. This depends on how much carbohydrates are contained and how they break down during Maillard phase.

yes, it is darker than you might see it along British roasters. If it is unnecessary or reasonable one can only judge in the cup. That is why I've sent it to Joey, among others, so we can discuss openly.

Nothing set in stone, yet

• Like 2

says Hasi.

Or even ask the organiser of the event!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AKA Toffee chips

You talk nonsense Dev.....thats no where near Italian roast levels. You roast a bean to get the best taste from it. it is quite possible, if you have the skill to roast the same bean several different ways and have them all taste good, but different

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking good @Hasi

Londinium R, Hg-one, button tamper, vst,ims,V60,siphon,aeropress...and still no idea

What's your background if I may ask?

An image doesn't ultimately do a colour justice. In general, colour measurements are just there for quality control towards a reference colour of the same bean and roast. Some beans typically roast to a lighter colour than others. This depends on how much carbohydrates are contained and how they break down during Maillard phase.

yes, it is darker than you might see it along British roasters. If it is unnecessary or reasonable one can only judge in the cup. That is why I've sent it to Joey, among others, so we can discuss openly.

Nothing set in stone, yet

I have a fluid bed artisan controlled fluid bed at home. I've probably gone through several hundred roasts. And I've actually roasted washed beans from Casa Ruiz.

You talk nonsense Dev.....thats no where near Italian roast levels. You roast a bean to get the best taste from it. it is quite possible, if you have the skill to roast the same bean several different ways and have them all taste good, but different

Have you actually seen a northern italian roast?

?url=i.imgur.com%2FGQI7Vaw.jpg

You said Italian roast, not Northern Italian.....be accurate if you are going to criticise...do not care how many roasts you have done your attitude is crass and you talk first grade bollocks......oh, and your versa lab has the usual donut problem.....I would not even show anyone a grind like that....oh don't tell me, it is done on purpose

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You said Italian roast, not Northern Italian.....be accurate if you are going to criticise...do not care how many roasts you have done your attitude is crass and you talk first grade bollocks......oh, and your versa lab has the usual donut problem.....I would not even show anyone a grind like that....oh don't tell me, it is done on purpose

As usual, the gentlenot. Of course you don't care about anything else that doesn't fit you agenda.

It's not my setup in the picture and for your personal knowledge that's a Honne grind. And I'm sure you know people use WDT tools.

Ahhh I love a Saturday afternoon debate

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

As usual, the gentlenot. Of course you don't care about anything else that doesn't fit you agenda.

It's not my setup in the picture and for your personal knowledge that's a Honne grind. And I'm sure you know people use WDT tools.

The only agenda I have, is when people with a history of critical posts come on and criticise the offerings of a popular forum member based on their own ideology, I react. You stated Italian roast. An Italian roast traditional is making to City but I am sure you know that, which is exactly why you avoided answering the question. Did you caveat the picture was not yours? if not, then what are we meant to think. Whosever photo it is, that is an excellent reminder of how not to prepare a shot unless you want channelling.....WDT, Honne or not

• Like 3

The only agenda I have, is when people with a history of critical posts come on and criticise the offerings of a popular forum member based on their own ideology, I react. You stated Italian roast. An Italian roast traditional is making to City but I am sure you know that, which is exactly why you avoided answering the question. Did you caveat the picture was not yours? if not, then what are we meant to think. Whosever photo it is, that is an excellent reminder of how not to prepare a shot unless you want channelling.....WDT, Honne or not

I'm not going to comment on your pathological need to pick a fight whenever you feel your ideas have been challenged.

FYI Nothern Italian is considered a Full City roast while Southern Italian is darker, Light French/Vienna or even darker.

I have a fluid bed artisan controlled fluid bed at home. I've probably gone through several hundred roasts. And I've actually roasted washed beans from Casa Ruiz.
This is actually excellent info!

My first couple hundred roasts were also fluid bed types

Please feel free to share your experience with us, which Ruiz' beans exactly were they? Did you keep track of profiles and taste notes?

I do know they are able to produce incredible harvests up there, that are very complex on cupping table and therefore ideal to roast to various degrees.

Just ordered some more/different 2018 samples while eagerly awaiting the new crop. Will let you guys know in due time...

• Like 2

says Hasi.

I'm not going to comment on your pathological need to pick a fight whenever you feel your ideas have been challenged.

FYI Nothern Italian is considered a Full City roast while Southern Italian is darker, Light French/Vienna or even darker.

Nothing pathological about my attitude towards you matey. You are the architect of your own downfall. Sorry, what idea have I put forward to be challenged......perhaps you can explain to me. I am quite willing to apologise if I have done wrong. Not sure what country you are in so descriptions of beans may vary......but the beans Hasi roasted in my humble opinion, are not that dark and I fail to see how you can criticise his offerings based on colour.

I am a pretty subjective person. PM me and send me some beans. I will pay the postage and lets see what you have

• Like 3

Hardly Italian it’s on the Austrian border in the alpine region of the far north!

• Like 2

AKA Toffee chips

My understanding is that small roasters get a roast level that suits the bean in question after many different roastings and tasting cupping sessions .. Reading most of Hasi’s posts it would appear he has done that.. He has now sent out the offering to gauge if others are tasting it the same way .

• Like 1

Nothing pathological about my attitude towards you matey. You are the architect of your own downfall. Sorry, what idea have I put forward to be challenged......perhaps you can explain to me. I am quite willing to apologise if I have done wrong. Not sure what country you are in so descriptions of beans may vary......but the beans Hasi roasted in my humble opinion, are not that dark and I fail to see how you can criticise his offerings based on colour.

I am a pretty subjective person. PM me and send me some beans. I will pay the postage and lets see what you have

Put a Tonino on them and lets talk actual numbers instead of subjective opinions.

When my roastery goes live you'll be the first person that gets a sample.;)

@coffeechap That's what north means. :good: