Sirmol

Hey all, I have been using an espresso machine from delonghi for a while now and have just ordered a bean to cup which arrives tomorrow. I'm looking for recommendations for different beans to try as i have always used lavazza - which i really enjoy. I'm not a lover of citrus notes.

Thanks all

Congratulations on the new purchase! Hope you enjoy using it.

There are loads of recommendations on here for good roasters. The key is to buy fresh - there should be a “roasted on” date within the last two weeks - NOT a use by date of 12-24 months!

Rave are a good place to start - well priced and a gentle introduction, avoiding anything too fruity or funky.

They do some espresso blends which are really highly regarded by the guys that like that sort of thing (and it sounds like you are leaning that way). As a oversimplified rule, go for a medium to dark roast South American origin and you will get something tastier and more interesting that lavazza. Make notes on whether you liked it, and order accordingly for next time.

Good luck and report back on the various threads for the roaster you choose to buy from!

Cheers Rob that's a cracking start. I live espresso but also flat whites - looking forward to experimenting!

Look into their Chatsworrh blend - that gets some love from people. There’s almost too much choice so it is daunting at first. Keeping notes is key though - what you likes and disliked from a bean - it really helps you pin down what you actually enjoy most, as opposed to what you think you like!

Look into their Chatsworrh blend - that gets some love from people. There’s almost too much choice so it is daunting at first. Keeping notes is key though - what you likes and disliked from a bean - it really helps you pin down what you actually enjoy most, as opposed to what you think you like!

Cheers I will, i did have a subscription from a local company that gave me lots of different blends but I didn't take notes - I need to start.