For the past few days I have been using the (new-ish) KitchenAid gooseneck kettle (full name: 1L Digital Precision Kettle 5KEK1032) and thought I’d write a review for it.

To be clear: I have no affiliation with the company, I did not receive a free unit for test purposes and I spent my own money to purchase this with the aim for it to be my main pour-over kettle.

The manufacturer info on the unit can be seen: https://www.kitchenaid.co.uk/small-appliances/kettles/1-l-digital-precision-kettle-5kek1032/859782015430

Let’s start with some of the main features of this kettle:

Variable temperature from 60-100 celcius in 1 degree increments (or equivalent in faranheit I believe but I haven’t tried to switch modes). Compared to my old brewista the temperature (so far) seems to be more stable, my brewista often seemed to “overshoot” by 1-2 degrees or so. I’m not claiming that you’d be able to taste this difference in the cup but it is reassuring if nothing else.

3 Flow rates on the inside of this kettle is a little metal widget that slides into 1 of 3 positions for high, medium and low flow rates. The low flow rate is roughly what my brewista with flow restrictor was achieving. I don’t really see the need for the middle selection but the high selection is useful for say filling a pan with boiling water for pasta (doing this with a slow flow rate is a drag). The spout itself has a pointed tip so while it looks large you get very good control.

Inbuilt lid thermometer, sure you have the temperature reading on the base but handy to have a temperature reading when the kettle is off the base (say during a long pour). It’s worth noting that the lid thermometer and base aren’t perfectly aligned on my example – sometimes it’ll show 94 or 96 on the thermometer when the base is saying 95. For what you would use it for it’s a nice feature though. As far as I can tell you cannot remove the thermometer.

1 Litre Capacity, one of my main reasons for purchasing this allows me to make 2 or 3 cup brews while pre-heating carafes/cups with 1 boil. The max fill line leaves some space in the kettle, you could probably squeeze a little more water in if required but I’ve not verified this.

Usability:

If you’ve used a kettle like this before there is nothing new here and it works as expected. The buttons are not the brewista “blister type” but “real” tactile buttons which I prefer. Overall it is far less “plastic-y” feeling and everything has a more robust build quality.

A little bugbear of mine: if you select “keep warm” and remove the kettle from the base it resets and you have to remember to press it again – this is an annoyance I have with most kettles I wish they didn’t do this!

The heat up time is quick, I just ran a test: filling up to the max line starting at 16 celcius it took 3mins 30secs to reach 100 celcius.

The sound the kettle makes when reaching temperature is a little strange – it is like the sound of a tannoy at an airport but you get used to it.

The handle and lid do a good job of not getting hot to touch and while not totally ergonomic they are not uncomfortable to use for prolonged periods of time.

Aesthetics are a personal thing but I like the look of the kettle it’s simple and unfussy. Compared to a bonavita/brewista it is much sleeker and takes up less counter space.

Conclusion

Would I recommend you all run out and buy this kettle? No, if you already have a variable temperature gooseneck I do not believe this offers a significant upgrade. If, however, you are in the market for a new kettle it’s worthy of your consideration. It is not cheap (£149 rrp) so you have to decide if it is worth it for you.

Pros:

-1L capacity

-Good temperature control

-Quick heat up

-Variable flow rate

-Handy lid thermometer

-Solid build quality

Cons:

-Expensive (but given it’s a mainstream brand you can find them in sale – I bought an ex-display)

-Handle not the most ergonomic

-Too much wasted paper in the box (330 page user manual!)

EDIT:

Some added pictures (apologies for the low quality phone snaps)

gxELxeg.jpg

Showing the ridiculous size of the instruction manual

rWe3Kj1.jpg

Side by side with the brewista

mp5UXks.jpg

Flow control widget

NBm0Siw.jpg

Proper buttons

sAOGdL0.jpg

Lid thermometer

Edited by Power Freak

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero

Brewista one does this for £90. Even the the Stag EKG+

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Thanks for taking the time to do a review of the kettle.

Could you add some photos too?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Brewista one does this for £90. Even the the Stag EKG+

The stagg isn't UK bound yet (and by the US pricing will be as expensive or moreso). The brewista in large capacity isn't as attractive or solidly made (if those things matter to you) - as i said in my review the improvements aren't worth throwing away a brewista but if you're looking for a new kettle it's definitely worth considering as the extra features are handy.

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero

Will do!

Added some (low quality) photos into the first post. It's quite hard to take a decent picture of a shiny object in a room with little natural light! Hopefully it gives an idea of what it's like in the real world instead of a professional promo shoot.