robti

coffee compass bean for flat white

Hi loking to put an order in tonight and looking for some recommendations for a bean for flat white coffees, no citrus or floral notes please ?

Thanks

Gaggia Classic, Brasilia RR55OD

Following this as I am interested to see what other recommend.

However for £14 a kilo the mystery is definitely worth tagging into your order.

It’s pretty good. Biscuit/ vanilla notes I would say. Nothing too overpowering so works well as a flat white in a stronger cup.

I currently have some of the mahogany jampit hit. If you have never tried this coffee I highly recommend trying it. It is so different to anything I have ever had before. The taste for me is really unique. Took me a while to decide if I liked it or not & still not sure if I would order again but it is an eye opener to how different coffees can taste.

Their red roast blend is a good solid coffee for milk drinks. You won’t get anything fruity out of it

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

Extra Extra dark ethiopian wild highland.

Be prepared for static.

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Also, Sweet Bourbon is a good shout. The sweetness really does come through along with a nice jammy richness along the lines of bourbon. Quite tasty in a flat white.

Lelit Mara PL62 | Eureka Mignion MKII | Motta Distro Tool | Pesado Tamper & BPF

As above, Red Roast, Sweet Bourbon and Jampit good, Mediterranean Mocha also. I found the mystery 10 a bit meh.

Tusker, Elephant Blend is very nice in milk, not a hint of citrus or floral! We keep re-ordering this alongside more experimental choices.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Sorry missed the end of this thread as i had ordered, i went for the mystery no.10 although not as good as 9 or 8 but family like how its not too strong and i also went with the red roast so that will keep me for a couple of weeks then i will try the other suggestions on the next order

Thanks

Sorry missed the end of this thread as i had ordered, i went for the mystery no.10 although not as good as 9 or 8 but family like how its not too strong and i also went with the red roast so that will keep me for a couple of weeks then i will try the other suggestions on the next order

Thanks

Have you had mystery 10 before? I found a higher dose helped with it to add a bit more weight in the cup as like you say it is ‘not too strong’

Yes I’m on my 3rd order with it, others like that it’s not too strong

I actually rate Cherry Cherry fro milk drinks - its not as overly fruity as the name suggests, another vote for bourbon espresso. I also enjoyed mexico siltepec

Gaggia Classic; Ceado E7, Motta tamper, Motta Milk Pitcher Champion

useful thread I will be taking these recommendations as soon as I make my machine purchase!!

Gaggia Classic pre 2015

Iberital MC2

I’ve tried Brighton lanes for a flat white but it’s a bit too acidic. Tusker is good once it has matured for about 2 weeks after roasting, but I like some bright notes towards the end. I’m hoping jampit hit is what does it for me.

Extra Extra dark ethiopian wild highland.

Be prepared for static.

I find this to be really good. Would also recommend Jampit, Mediterranean Mocha and French Breakfast

I rate the bourbon espresso blend quite well with milk - the wife solely drinks flat whites with the Cuban Altura Serrano, which is quite nice, too.

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Niche Zero

Brewed: Hario V60, French press

Mahogany Jampit perfect for Flat White.

Kit: Some coffee bashers for the beans and some water heater thingies for the brewing bit.

Posted (edited)

Tusker is very popular here along with OBJ (Old Brown Java) and Monsooned Malabar with Ranchero another favourite. We like the dark chocolatey end of the spectrum so you may enjoy these too. The Ethiopian extra dark highland was a step too far for us, very oily beans and not as interesting as the others.

Extra Extra dark ethiopian wild highlandExtra Extra dark ethiopian wild highland

Edited by Rob666

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Posted (edited)

Another update. I've tried the Jampit Hit and it really breaks through the milk quite well. It's quite sweet, with some chocolate notes and spice (not overbearing) coming through. I really love some bright notes at the end of my coffee, but unfortunately this doesn't do it for me. The hunt continues... (Hodson from Ozone Coffee is what I'm after, but cheaper. 😀

Edited by junipa
Fixed emoji

Posted (edited)

I'd definitely recommend Hill and Valley as well, its dark bitter flavours followed by a mellow dark chocolate and butterscotch finish give it a great flavour in milk. It's Very drinkable! The review of it you may have read gives the impression it will blow your socks off but I found it a really nice tasting coffee (if you prefer a dark roast). And it's certainly not too acidic for a milk based drink. 

Edited by chevy
Typo

Rancilio Silvia E / Mazzer Super Jolly / Iberital MC2 / meCoffee PID / Motta Competition 58.4mm tamper / VST 15g basket / Rancilio naked portafilter