richwade80

E61 Lever Worn Cam & Pins?

I can’t decide if the lever cam and pins on my machine are worn enough to warrant replacing.

I normally remove and lubricate them every 200 cups, about 3 months. However, the action has started to feel more notchy. In particular, the lever has more resistance when it’s in the middle position, and you are trying to raise it.

The machine is two years old.

Photos of the pins below. Definitely worn, but is this too much / unusual?

Bottom pin

7a686198dc35c8969e5c569ad25a9318.jpg

Top pin

f72bd5c830741455fcf21fb1889f337f.jpg

Side view

6ff9140bbaa5074a8d823ef6f0822ab5.jpg

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

Not worn for me, this is nothing, plenty of life left in levers.

BR

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

As L&R said, that is nothing in the way of wear.

Have you run cleaner through the head lately ? If not I would suggest you do and then re-lubricate.

My first option if you have the tools+ confidence would be to strip the head completely and clean all components in a dish of cleaner, then inspect them all for wear. Check the valve seals for heavy indentation.

There is a wicki on the forum for E61 strip down by Dave C. and you can always ask questions on the forum.

I cleaned the group and greased it about two weeks ago. It normally runs smooth for a month or two after.

This time it’s definitely sticking at halfway. I’ll dismantle without backflushing and see what the cam looks like. And maybe press the pins to see if they feel clicky

It would be nice to strip it all though, out of interest.

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

Update:

Just tried the lever with the machine off for about 45 mins, so warmish.

Runs smoothly?!

That’s curious.

Heat -expansion / pins / valves binding. Have you let the cleaning material sit in the head to allow it to thoroughly clean or just a quick flush through ?

Heat -expansion / pins / valves binding. Have you let the cleaning material sit in the head to allow it to thoroughly clean or just a quick flush through ?

I agree it must be. I can’t imagine there is much movement, but I guess the tolerances must be reasonably tight in places.

I leave it in for about 10s or so.