Coffee Forums banner

Izzo Alex Duetto mk IV & Mazzer Royal 83mm plus extras

6K views 51 replies 13 participants last post by  lookseehear 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Some of you may remember me - I used to post on here a fair bit and even came an honourable second in a latte art smackdown.

I'm still drinking a lot of coffee but I have just grown to love brewed coffee a lot more than I do espresso based drinks, combined with the fact my wife has got into filter coffee means that the Duetto is not getting much use any more, so it makes sense to liberate some kitchen space and pass machine and grinder on to people who will use them a bit more.

nrIYe0vh.jpg

The Duetto was bought in 2012 from Bella Barista brand new for £1,800, was initially used just with bottled water (Volvic or Ashbeck), but more recently I've been using it with BWT filtered water. It has been regularly backflushed and descaled. I checked the E61 mushroom (see here) last night and it was scale free.

It has been such a great machine, a really strong steamer and capable of pulling some delicious shots.

It comes with:

Two portafilters - one bottomless and one with double spouts. The bottomless one has a hand-made american black walnut handle, which was designed to be similar in appearance to the Slayer portafilter handles and feels great in the hand.

Two double baskets - 18g VST and EP HQ

A well fitting Knock Tamper (I think I may have another 'knock'ing around somewhere which I'll include if I can find)

4 hole steam tip from ChrisCoffee which makes steaming really quick and straightforward (See

I'm looking for £1,100 for the Duetto and £350 for the Royal, but I'd sell as a pair for £1,250 along with all the extras which is everything you would need to get yourself going with a great home espresso setup.

I'm based in Chippenham, Wilts but work in Bristol so could potentially meet in or around the Bristol area if that helps.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

See less See more
1 1
#6 ·
There were some issues with pump seals leaking and damaging the motor so the pump was moved underneath, I thought that was on MK IV, maybe it's on later version, I know theres an evo IV, l'll check as I'm puzzled myself now

#7 ·
Simon Pearson said:
There were some issues with pump seals leaking and damaging the motor so the pump was moved underneath, I thought that was on MK IV, maybe it's on later version, I know theres an evo IV, l'll check as I'm puzzled myself now
Not something I'd heard of!

Also thought worth mentioning I've got three milk jugs which are included, a large and medium Motta and a smaller one which I think was a coffeehit or similar (it's the most basic but the one I use all the time as I don't tend to make big milk drinks). Got a faithful grindenstein knockbox which is included too.

#16 ·
GerryM said:

@jt196 Are you agreeing to buy this now or just expressing an interest? I ask because it's unclear and if someone else comes along and says they will take it, you'll miss out unless you've agreed the deal.

Fair enough - thinking about it, I'm deliberating between getting a second hand DB machine and jumping 2 feet first and getting a Vesuvius. Probably not the place to express ambiguous intentions though. I'm going to check on The ACS availability right now.

@lookseehear - sorry for the goose chase. May come back to you on this one if nobody snaps it up, I'd be interested only in the Duetto. Perhaps keener if you'd come down a little on the price as it's a (very good condition) 6 year old machine.

#24 ·
itn said:
Hi,

is this practical for single dosing? can the doser be removed and replaced with say a funnel? how is the retention on this in say the exit chute? do you have to use a brush often?

Mo
I've only ever single dosed with it and have found it really easy. I'll can try and do a quick video to show the process if that helps? Pretty sure you can buy a funnel from Mazzer or as a spare but they're pretty pricey!

What I do is:

- Weigh out 18g and put them in the throat of the grinder with the camera hood on top

- Switch on the grinder and thwack the doser (this creates a fluffy mound of grinds in the basket)

- When it has finished, pop the lens hood down and turn the grinder off. The air from the lens hood pushes most of the grounds out of the chute.

- Do a quick sweep of the chute and thwack the doser paddle a couple more times and you're done.

I've measured less than 0.1g retention using this method and the grounds are really nice and fluffy in the basket. I don't do any distribution or WDT, just a little nutation and tamp down.

Here's a picture of the grounds in the basket pre-tamp:

Portafilter Drinkware Kitchen utensil Food Tableware

Attachments

#25 ·
ok thanks, im still doing some reading up. im looking to upgrade from my Compak K6 and wants to stray away from the doser etc, and to an on demand, or single dose machine like the Niche. I didn't realise there was a video link which ive just checked out so thanks. I want something that's going to keep my workflow simple, my wifes already complaining that I take too long to make a coffee.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.