IGNORED

barista touch - temperature of espresso is less then lukewarm? is it faulty?

i have had other semi automatic/automatic machines mainly delonghi and making an espresso they were at least warm (ish)

on a barista touch i have, when making an espresso it seems to be almost cold and mildly warm. is this normal?

my cups are not pre-heated/warm water or anything/ but i didn't have to do this with the delognhi machine, so im a bit confused.

the brew temperature in the settings is set to high

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had the same problem with my touch, taking the temp from the cup, having invested in a decent thermapen and taken the temp from the portafilter it is actually delivering the shot at 87c and 89c on t

I wouldn’t bother, the guy is clearly angry and just wants to lay into Breville apparently! Why he has come on a UK forum to do it is anyone’s guess!  He’s measuring it wrong and his machine is like

Wakkaday

This cropped up in the thread below.

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?47372-Sage-Barista-Touch-Newbie-Q-s/page2

I’ve had the same issue as you. I have developed a little routine which involves:

Boiling kettle

Filling cup with hot water

Filling another cup with hot water and heating the portafilter in it

Running a couple of shots through with no portafilter in

After that, I grind, tamp and pull my shot.

I have got used to this little routine but it still bothers me that this is hardly the convenience factor that I paid for in buying the BT.

Having said that, I am drinking miles better coffee than I have done before.

The above ritual seems unnecessary for a properly functioning machine

But without understanding the actual group temp , it could just be a subjective judgement that the espresso is not hot enough.

For sure pre heat your cups .

to HRC99 , either you have an asbestos mouth or your machine is not functioning correctly.

I had a very similar problem with the BT I purchased just before Christmas. Whatever I tried and I believe me I did persevere, the shots produced were warm at the very best and certainly not hot. I had some fairly poor customer service support from Sage and in the end returned the machine to Amazon (who were very helpful).

I now have the Barista Express which is producing shots at a much better temperature and despite my inability to get the grind and dosing dialled in quite yet I'm definitely enjoying the process.

If you touch the group head is it warm/hot or cold?

Normally takes around 5-10mins (though prefer longer) to get the group head to a decent temperature though admittedly I am not using the same machine as you.

If you are only waiting enough time for the water to get to the right temperature and the group head is stone cold/luke warm it is going to cool the water as soon as it hits the group head/portafilter.

If you touch the group head is it warm/hot or cold?

Normally takes around 5-10mins (though prefer longer) to get the group head to a decent temperature though admittedly I am not using the same machine as you.

If you are only waiting enough time for the water to get to the right temperature and the group head is stone cold/luke warm it is going to cool the water as soon as it hits the group head/portafilter.

Grouphead is plastic - the only part that gets hot is behind the shower screen which is metal but has no contact with the portafilter. Some one checked this in the thread that was mentioned

Rather than boiling kettles etc try fitting an empty single shot pressurised basker and running a shot through that into the mug that is going to be used. It should kill both birds with one shot.

Sage I think suggest using the hot water outlet to preheat things - steam could be used as well.

On the other hand 2 reports on the Touch and never mentioned on the straight BE maybe there is some sort of problem. Frankly I would not buy the Touch anyway but that's besides the point.

John

-

There have been a couple of threads on Barista Touch low temp recently. IIrc the solution both times was to return the machine & get something else.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

There have been a couple of threads on Barista Touch low temp recently. IIrc the solution both times was to return the machine & get something else.

I'm not sure I saw a qualified measuring of temp on either of em, other than not hot enoughh

I'm not sure I saw a qualified measuring of temp on either of em, other than not hot enoughh
Me either but at least one of them had an engineer out to look at it.

Me either but at least one of them had an engineer out to look at it.

If a shot through an empty dual wall single shot basket doesn't get the portafilter way too hot to touch something is wrong. Flow rates etc when that is done are roughly right. When some ones new to a machine has grinds in - pass.

John

-

Hi,

I joined this forum today, as I found it quite good. From Norway, but should be ok? :)

I read with interest that several had temp issues with their Barista Touch, so have I. Bought mine late December, returning my BT today to trade in to another Sage, either the Express, Dual Boiler or an Oracle.

I’m a bit dissapointed, because the BT has a lot going for it, with the automation you can ease when you want, and do a lot manually - I prefer to have both options. I would want more manual override than the Touch allowed, surprisingly, the Express offer more manual override with the buttons... which for me is somewhat odd, considering the touch screen, which I think also hold programming an controlling various valves and parameters?..

So, when the machine, doesn’t make warm coffee, either long black or espresso, the only choice is to return it.

As I have read several other complaining about the same, I think Sage (or Breville) need to alter this potentially very nice espresso/coffee maker. I would happily buy a revised version.

To add: On the Barista touch I mesured 55° Celsius at the lowest with a simple thermometer. Sometimes I could hold my hand under the shower head while the water flowed, not very hot. Although, it sometimes was burning hot, so I had to pull my hand away immediately. No other explanation than either faulty Termojet, or temperature sensoring.

We bought the BE to my girlfriend after my BT, due to a very good price reduction at a local dealer. And it is working perfect, a very nice machine, more fun and looks is good too. So, we could have bought two BE for the price of the BT. But that may be another story :exit:

So, we could have bought two BE for the price of the BT. But that may be another story :exit:

I'm surprised most haven't noticed that. Fact - given the cost of parts and assembly time the touch is probably cheaper to make than the straight be - other than maybe recovering some costs involved in producing it.

John

-

I'm surprised most haven't noticed that. Fact - given the cost of parts and assembly time the touch is probably cheaper to make than the straight be - other than maybe recovering some costs involved in producing it.

John

-

True, it be the way company’s increase their margins. Sometimes the result is a step backwards. This is seen in cars even, stick in a large screen, make everything cheaper, raise the price - considerably... Shame, because I liked the idea of the Barista Touch. For the record; I returned the BT to the store, ran to another store in the same chain, got a Dual Boiler for roughly only 100£ more than a Barista Express, which I would have bought if I didn’t find the DB at such low price... the store had shredded near 400£ off the DB due to stock reduction. Now the water and coffee is WARM! :-)

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue. I run several shots through then pour into a pre heated cup and get between 60 - 65c but as the water pours the temperature decreases rapidly. If i put coffee in I get more like 57c in the cup. I phoned customer support and got told that this is normal for this machine as it's intended for people in a rush who don't want to burn their mouths.......Does the dual boiler and the oracle have the rapid heat system?

I have the same issue. I run several shots through then pour into a pre heated cup and get between 60 - 65c but as the water pours the temperature decreases rapidly. If i put coffee in I get more like 57c in the cup. I phoned customer support and got told that this is normal for this machine as it's intended for people in a rush who don't want to burn their mouths.......Does the dual boiler and the oracle have the rapid heat system?

Yes the Sage has a rapid theorem coil heat system . Again it's hard to tell anything as what you are measuring and what you are judging it against are two different things. There is no control or measure as to what anyone is measuring temp wise on this thread.

Several shots ? Is this in a spouted pf etc etc etc .

Get to the route of the problem , does the coffee taste bad? Or is it just not hot enough for you? Espresso doesn't end up in the cup at 90c plus....

Does this actually sound plausible....really. "People in a rush"...gotta love it.

For the OP, if it's definitely too cold, then it's too cold. 66C from the shower screen sounds way too low and in the cup you would be looking for 65-75+ depending on machine. Ultimately if you can drink it immediately, then it's too cold. If it's too cold for "people in a hurry", then it means people in a hurry don't like espresso extracted at the correct temperature or even close to it.

It could be part of the design, it could be a fault...certainly it's not acceptable on a machine costing £899?

I would recommend returning the machine if you can and would urge you to rethink your purchase to some other type of machine + grinder. With the convenience you think your getting you have a cheaply made machine and a cheaply made grinder that will never give really good espresso. A used prosumer machine and grinder is going to deliver far more in the cup, for very little extra effort.

Nothing here...

I bet the 65c is temp in the cup , not the shower screen.

Until someone uses a protocol that makes sense for measuring this temp by which all of of these are done, then Im not convinced, that all these machines are faulty.

Edited by Mrboots2u
I bet the 65c is temp in the cup , not the shower screen.

Until someone uses a protocol that makes sense for measuring this tempm which all of of these don't then Im not convinced, that all these machines are faulty.

It would be nice if sage had a real reviewer like me to check their machines out wouldn't it? ;)

Ah...I forgot, they have the golden girls....

Nothing here...