M_H_S

Ceado e37s calibration/alignment

That's quite a dark roast, meaning a very soluble coffee, that is less prone to grinding variations and that's a very gentle, almost absent tamp. I would be more concerned about of sorts of channeling happening.

Will do my own checks and report back as this contradicts everything I know about grinders!

Edited by coffeechap

AKA Toffee chips

While doing the whiteboard marker/burr rotation alignment process. I noticed a simple and easy way to tell when the top burr is in the best of the 3 available positions. With the rubber collar in position, it is easy to note the point at which the burrs start to touch and ‘chirp’. The further to the right this is, the closer the burrs are before they touch. Therefore they must be at the best possible alignment using this basic method!

Finer alignment can be achieved with shimming or even, maybe, sanding the burr carriers as described by Scott Rao on his website. But this simple method will get the E37s closer to ‘perfect’ without consuming a lot of time and effort!

You are suggesting this method to “align” the top burr before starting on the bottom one?

Seems sensible to me! Shame i didn’t think of that when doing mine.

Have you tested since aligning your burrs? Notice any difference?

3 days later... Apologies for the delay. It takes a while when grinding new (different) beans and pulling only 3 shots a day! Definite improvement in clarity of flavours. May try the same method with the lower burr, soon!

Agree. It’s definitely not snake oil - you can see the difference in the cup, let alone taste it!

Having tried this method, moving the top burr around. I found in each case it touched at exactly the same spot wherever the burr was located, this was by rotating by hand to sense the lightest touch.

I can only think this is due to a slightly 'hard / strong' spot on the corrugated pressure spring, depressing the top burr fractionally more at one spot / position. ??

Carried out alignment on top burr yesterday. Surprised at how far out it was. During shimming I had the burr carrier in and out about six times before I was happy with it. Plan to do the bottom burr as well but ran out of time, but just to back up what has already been said, this is a worthwhile exercise and easy to do.

73EF9782-AA4A-4C89-9DD2-6E109DF098C3.jpeg

Before shot. 

Edited by lake_m
  • Like 1

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2 hours ago, lake_m said:

Carried out alignment on top burr yesterday. Surprised at how far out it was. During shimming I had the burr carrier in and out about six times before I was happy with it. Plan to do the bottom burr as well but ran out of time, but just to back up what has already been said, this is a worthwhile exercise and easy to do.

73EF9782-AA4A-4C89-9DD2-6E109DF098C3.jpeg

Before shot. 

Can I ask why you did the top burr first ?  Does that not mean when you do the bottom one you have to redo top burr ? . Or is it something peculiar to this grinder ?  ... Just curious 

30 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

Can I ask why you did the top burr first ?  Does that not mean when you do the bottom one you have to redo top burr ? . Or is it something peculiar to this grinder ?  ... Just curious 

Six and half a dozen. The top one is easier so I did that first. 

• Like 1

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, a bit more time this weekend to complete the job and check the bottom burr alignment. Actually didn't take long at all as it was pretty close (unlike the top burr). Re-checked the top burr and it needed a minor adjustment. But it's now 'cock-on'. 😎

The big question of whether or not it's made a difference in the cup? Before alignment I was having constant difficulty with channeling / spritzers despite very careful basket prep. It was this uncertainty that drove me to carry out the checks as this just should not happen. Anyway, happy to report that it has completely cured it. It's still a fussy grinder compared to the Niche which is totally forgiving in that respect. But overall really pleased with cup performance. Produces a clean bright cup that allows you to mess around with different profiles.

Shout out to @cambosheff for the support and being an all round top bloke!

Photo of burrs after alignment.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

• Like 2