M_H_S

Ceado e37s calibration/alignment

I've just got one to play with. Wondering if there is a way to check for alignment and if that can be an issue.

Also any tips for single dosing.

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

What alignment are you referring to ? Do you mean run-out / burr's not parallel ? The alignment between the top burr carrier and

the motor / case are fixed by the machined recessed shoulder.

Burr re-alignment made a massive improvement to mine. Very simple process also. I would recommend.

Burr re-alignment made a massive improvement to mine. Very simple process also. I would recommend.
Where can I find how to do this?

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

And do you single dose?

Where can I find how to do this?

This http:// https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&hl=en-gb&ei=dmlRXP-aAsGJ1fAP_t61oA8&q=coffee+grinder+burr+alignment&oq=coffee+gronder+burr+alignment&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0i13i30.25455.27510..28262...0.0..1.217.1065.12j1j1......0....1.........0i71j0i7i30.01tYzkuxECw will give you loads of reading. It’s really simple - drywipe marker pen, standard tin foil, screwdriver and 60 minutes is all you need.

I don’t single dose. In my experience you need a solid weight of beans behind it to get an even grind - towards the end of the beans, the last bit will be significantly coarser than the starting grinds.

The best mod for this grinder is the plastic tube with a big weight behind it. Read through the E37s owners thread to see the options that people have created. Unless you keep best part of a kilo of beans in the standard hopper, a tube mod is essential in my eyes, as otherwise i found the grinder disappointing.

The burr alignment made a massive difference tho - definitely do that.

This http:// https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&hl=en-gb&ei=dmlRXP-aAsGJ1fAP_t61oA8&q=coffee+grinder+burr+alignment&oq=coffee+gronder+burr+alignment&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0i13i30.25455.27510..28262...0.0..1.217.1065.12j1j1......0....1.........0i71j0i7i30.01tYzkuxECw will give you loads of reading. It’s really simple - drywipe marker pen, standard tin foil, screwdriver and 60 minutes is all you need.

I don’t single dose. In my experience you need a solid weight of beans behind it to get an even grind - towards the end of the beans, the last bit will be significantly coarser than the starting grinds.

The best mod for this grinder is the plastic tube with a big weight behind it. Read through the E37s owners thread to see the options that people have created. Unless you keep best part of a kilo of beans in the standard hopper, a tube mod is essential in my eyes, as otherwise i found the grinder disappointing.

The burr alignment made a massive difference tho - definitely do that.

Cool thanks for the response. I will look through the detailed material. Although I was hearing a slight sound and wondered if that was the burrs touching but it actually the rotating arms that push the grounds out. So may think twice before trying to align.

I can try the tube thing as aeropress funnel fits. I realise weight improves grind. I had the same issue with a k30 I had for a bit. But my itching question to all such users including those who mythoses as well e37s, what is your routine in minimising wastage and keeping beans fresh. Are beans just left in these tubes or short hoppers for a few days? Is the last shot always discarded?

If you are hearing a noise when it is empty, it sounds as if there is something stuck under the lower burr carrier, it should not be touching anything.

You can remove the lower carrier by using a 1/2" 13 mm open ended spanner on the centre nut, the assembly will lift straight off,

it is NOT keyed to the shaft. The spring washer under the nut holds the carrier locked to the shaft.

But my itching question to all such users including those who mythoses as well e37s, what is your routine in minimising wastage and keeping beans fresh. Are beans just left in these tubes or short hoppers for a few days? Is the last shot always discarded?

Just purge.

I am a bit tight on these things but have the single set to 0.8s for a purge. I do one purge first thing then start grinding and pulling shots.

Grinds stay fresh a short while (including those sat between the burrs!) and my morning routine is probably 4 shots over 30-45 mins. No need to purge during the morning caffeination.

If I am at home for the morning I will do a purge if sat inactive for an hour or so?

I don’t purge between grind adjustments, just adjust my PI setting on the shot that will

Inevitably have a mix of pre and post adjustment grinds, then expect the subsequent one to be back to normal as will be completely post-adjustment. Fairly simple when you have got the feel for the grinder.

I’ve never read anyone thinking this is a good single dose grinder. Not saying it can’t be done if you are certain that is the route you prefer, but it’s just not what it is designed to do (the recent release of the E37SD seems bonkers to me as my experience is the base grinder performs poorly in this respect) plus you have spent a decent amount of the purchase price on an accurate timer; if you do the tube mod the dose weight is nicely consistent - advice is to work with that.

If you want to single dose then buy a grinder fit for purpose!

If you want to single dose then buy a grinder fit for purpose!

Agreed... E37s is an on demand grinder and it does it well, imho.

If you are hearing a noise when it is empty, it sounds as if there is something stuck under the lower burr carrier, it should not be touching anything.

You can remove the lower carrier by using a 1/2" 13 mm open ended spanner on the centre nut, the assembly will lift straight off,

it is NOT keyed to the shaft. The spring washer under the nut holds the carrier locked to the shaft.

Thanks. I'll check. But I was just glad to know it wasn't the burrs touching!

Cool. Purging is a small pain and the waste worth it if you get outstanding espresso.

What I was asking about more specifically was those who have commercial grinders which produce mind blowing espresso for home use e.g. Mythos, k30 or e37s, how much are the hoppers kept filled and for how long to minimise staling? Also is the last shot always discarded?

I haven't bought it to single dose but only to sample what it is capable of in terms of taste. I already have a Niche, so wanted to compare. I tried an aeropress funnel with a tamper and around 150g of beans. The grind was amazing and the espresso was deep and complex.

The single dosing zero retention version I think you are talking about is called the e37z. Well it appears designed like the monolith flat so can't say what it's capable off, but one thing's for sure, it will cost a few arms and legs

Just purge.

I am a bit tight on these things but have the single set to 0.8s for a purge. I do one purge first thing then start grinding and pulling shots.

Grinds stay fresh a short while (including those sat between the burrs!) and my morning routine is probably 4 shots over 30-45 mins. No need to purge during the morning caffeination.

If I am at home for the morning I will do a purge if sat inactive for an hour or so?

I don’t purge between grind adjustments, just adjust my PI setting on the shot that will

Inevitably have a mix of pre and post adjustment grinds, then expect the subsequent one to be back to normal as will be completely post-adjustment. Fairly simple when you have got the feel for the grinder.

I’ve never read anyone thinking this is a good single dose grinder. Not saying it can’t be done if you are certain that is the route you prefer, but it’s just not what it is designed to do (the recent release of the E37SD seems bonkers to me as my experience is the base grinder performs poorly in this respect) plus you have spent a decent amount of the purchase price on an accurate timer; if you do the tube mod the dose weight is nicely consistent - advice is to work with that.

I was also curious as to the physics behind less weight of beans equals a courser grind when i presumed grind size is controlled by the gap between the burrs at the outer edges.

More so if that is the case why Compaks and Mazzer flats are considered fair game for modifying as single dosers. And k30 and e37s are so bad at it.

Just purge.

Yes it certainly is. I bought it to play with and compare with the Niche. I recall you used to have both. How did they compare in taste for you?

I am still getting to grips with the Niche and unlike others I have struggled a bit with it, but have deduced my burrs may need running in more so am being patient to see what it does. But have to say having got the e37s working with an aeropress tube hopper with a tamper as a weight, the resultant flat white was a joy to drink and preferable to the Niche. However I also have to say the tastes in themselves were so different that I am tempted, but won't say yet that I may prefer flats to conics as I am not in a position to get a Monolith or EK!

Agreed... E37s is an on demand grinder and it does it well, imho.

The weight of beans forces the bean into the burrs uniformly, or perhaps more uniformly than if you have no weight. Some grinders get around this by using an auger. I would select a bean for use in both grinders. Single dose the Niche. Put 250 gms into the E37 and you will only notice a difference in grind when there are maybe 30 to 50 gms left...you will see the grind coarsen up

Yes it certainly is. I bought it to play with and compare with the Niche. I recall you used to have both. How did they compare in taste for you?

I am still getting to grips with the Niche and unlike others I have struggled a bit with it, but have deduced my burrs may need running in more so am being patient to see what it does. But have to say having got the e37s working with an aeropress tube hopper with a tamper as a weight, the resultant flat white was a joy to drink and preferable to the Niche. However I also have to say the tastes in themselves were so different that I am tempted, but won't say yet that I may prefer flats to conics as I am not in a position to get a Monolith or EK!

You are not the only one to have noticed the difference, not everyone is niche hyped

AKA Toffee chips

You are not the only one to have noticed the difference, not everyone is niche hyped

You need to try one that is run in!

You need to try one that is run in!

Let the fan boys harp on

AKA Toffee chips

Let the fan boys harp on

well, either you have tried one that is run in, or you have not tried one that is run in......can I have a simple yes or no as to which one you have tried please and if your answer is I have not tried one that is run in, will you make the effort.....LOL

You are completely aware that I have tried yours and I am positive that the same particle distribution will exist in a run in one due to single dosing conic burrs, am happy to give it another go if it satisfies the fan boys

AKA Toffee chips

You are completely aware that I have tried yours and I am positive that the same particle distribution will exist in a run in one due to single dosing conic burrs, am happy to give it another go if it satisfies the fan boys

nearly a good political answer! but, I was really referring to the difference in taste once the burrs are run in!

I’ve been enjoying EK43s that’s not run in a lot more than the Niche... can’t wait for the ek burrs to be run in then.

It ain’t for everyone and there’s lots of contention in the forum. No wonder when the Niche dominated this forum. It’s a great grinder workflow wise, it just doesn’t seem to deliver in the cup if you’re after a complex, clean and bright cup.

I’ve been enjoying EK43s that’s not run in a lot more than the Niche... can’t wait for the ek burrs to be run in then.

It ain’t for everyone and there’s lots of contention in the forum. No wonder when the Niche dominated this forum. It’s a great grinder workflow wise, it just doesn’t seem to deliver in the cup if you’re after a complex, clean and bright cup.

But conical burrs, especially ones that are not seasoned rarely do hit the bright notes. if you bought a Fiat Panda, would you be surprised if it cannot drive across the ploughed fields like your tractor?

Excellent the niche is a Fiat panda

AKA Toffee chips