IGNORED

New Ceado E37SD Single-dose Grinder

Can you really taste the difference between an E37S or an E8?

Or is it just another subjective criteria to justify a purchase... Or maybe Ceados' marketing is more efficient.

Probably not! But as said above there are other factors at play that could be more important

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I got one of these and I thought I'd post my first impressions.... Ugly it is, this grinder is no Monolith in that respect, but it is really solid. It is quite messy to grind straight into th

I got the SD two weeks ago and I am very happy with it. For my medium and dark roasts the SD for me is better than the EK43 with espresso burrs. Nearly no retention. 18g with WDT in 17,6g out.

Little photo of the hero naked

Posted Images

• 7 months later...

Brand new Hedone Honne's can be purchased - about £2000 a pop.

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, coffeechap said:

I will have the hero on my bench later this month!

Looking forward to your views on that one!

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, I got one of these and I thought I'd post my first impressions....

Ugly it is, this grinder is no Monolith in that respect, but it is really solid. It is quite messy to grind straight into the portafilter, you'll need to use the funnel that comes with it. This is because when you use the bellow a lot of powder gets ejected in random directions through the chute. I think the chute could be smaller and slightly longer to contain the mess.

RDT is indeed necessary as otherwise the retention is huge and the coffee tends to clump up a bit.

It is slightly annoying that you can tell it is an E37J or S with a few tweaks. For example, it's clear that the chassis has been taken from the E37S, and the switch just above the fork has been plugged with a dummy switch. Or the 2 holes in the chute are useless in the SD but were used for another kind of chute (E37SL).

The grinding itself looks more homogeneous than what I'm used to (I have an Eureka Mignon Perfetto).

The adjustment is what I really liked from the beginning. It allows for small changes and it is very repeatable. 

As for the taste in the cup, I'm afraid I couldn't tell the difference. 

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, but I wish there was much choice at that price range for single dosers.

Edited by Carlo
  • Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just received delivery of a e37s last week. I also have a Fellow Ode I've been using for pour over and a Helor hand grinder for espresso. My intention was to use one setup in the office and one at home and bought the e37 because it seemed like it could be switched easily between espresso and pour over (by engaging and disengaging the worm gear). I had zero expectation that the coffee would taste different. 

I have since been completely blown away. Pour over coffee from the e37s tastes immeasurably better from than the Ode. Achieving consistency for Espresso is of course infinitely easier than with a hand grinder. Switching between the two on the e37s is great. Now it is to the point I feel like I want to replace the Ode set up....

Having said that, apart from taste, the Ode is better in every other way. It's smaller and doesn't weigh a ton. Looks much nicer (Ceado looks nice in photos but in reality looks like a mutant Cuisinart device that didn't make it out of development - the bellow never quite stands up straight). Has an auto stop that actually miss. Much better grind collecting setup. The e37s' cup/fork/portafilter adapter setup is just all clunky with lots of loose parts. Of course the Ode is also much much cheaper. 

The Ode retains almost nothing and the knocking mechanism (needs a couple thwack) gets the chaff out nicely minimizing mess. The e37 retains alot of grind but it all comes out with a couple pumps of the bellow during grinding. So result is the same although the solution is less elegant. 

The least satisfying part of the Ceado is it sprays chaff everywhere, even after wetting beans (which I don't need to do with Ode). An annoying amount of chaff also sticks to the chute even after pumping the bellows. 

In short, the grind adjustment is both super precise and super flexible and the coffee is amazing. Everything else kind of sucks. But I guess the e37s has got it where it counts. I haven't tried any other grinder in the same price range as th e37s but I don't think any of them would be quite as suited to switching between espresso and pour over. As such I am quite tempted to buy another one.... 

Edited by Morrrrrissss
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Morrrrrissss said:

As such I am quite tempted to buy another one.... 

Cheers...i shall go look at some video's....just to clarify; yours is the S version (with the Hopper) as you mentioned "bellows" which threw me somewhat....looks like Espresso Solutions has it for a good price.

2 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Cheers...i shall go look at some video's....just to clarify; yours is the S version (with the Hopper) as you mentioned "bellows" which threw me somewhat....looks like Espresso Solutions has it for a good price.

Sorry, SD. Will correct. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I got a Ceado E37SD yesterday. I bought it from CoffeeItalia. When I searched the forum for CoffeeItalia, I found lots of posts with sharp intakes of breath, and warnings about searching the forums to see terrible tales of woe, but no actual tales of woe. So I set my expectations and ordered. Timeline: Saturday 8th May place order and receive order notification email. Wednesday 12th 8am, send email asking why there has not yet been a dispatch notification. 10am receive reply saying I would receive my order at the start of the following week. Thursday 13th, receive email saying my order would dispatch that day. Later that day, received notification from UPS saying delivery would be Tuesday 18th, which it was.

Arrived double-boxed and on mini-palette. Had a European plug and a cheap UK adapter with a bit of plastic chipped off, which I replaced with a good UK adapter.

The grinder definitely is well built. Having just taken a Vario apart to replace the belt, the ease of taking the Ceado apart and the complete lack of plastic is welcome. Everything feels solid.

I have the Opalglide burrs which look grey but shiny and rainbow-like instead of yellow. I don't know if they perform any differently.

I spent some time aligning the burrs. The process is easy since the 3 screws to remove the top make it so easy. The bottom burr was perfectly aligned. The top burr I added 5 pieces of foil in 3 locations. You have to put the foil in the groove as this is the part where the burr touches the carrier.

When you turn the worm screw, the rotating burr holder seems to rock slightly in its threads (because the turning force comes from one side), so depending on whether you last went finer or courser, the top burr alignment may be different. I wonder if the burr was in fact perfectly aligned before I started messing with it, but only after going courser. But that will be hard to check since to make the burrs touch you have to go finer. Anyway, now I have re-aligned, the trick for me now will be to always finish any adjustment with a worm-screw movement slightly towards finer to ensure the same alignment. (People complaining of consistency issues might want to try this.)

The worm-screw itself and the mechanism to disengage it seemed stiff so I added some oil and now it is much better.

I made 2 good espressos straight off (after 3 adjustments to grind size). No idea about consistency yet but also burrs not seasoned. Using a Hasbean light-ish roast blend and the RDT spray, no static issues, nice and fluffy. Grind looks if anything more uniform than the Vario was. Espresso came out well enough; will experiment more.

Process compared to Vario is more fiddly, but I've been watching videos and reading forums so maybe I have got more fussy. With the Vario, fairly even mountain is put in the basket and I found I could get decent distribution just by rotating my palm over the top of the basket (similar to Stockfleth method). For now I tried using the supplied metal cup and funnel, and found I need lots of stirring with a toothpick. I want to try grinding directly into the basket but I can see how it might not work out great with this grinder.

I removed the rubber bit from the spout; don't seem to need it. Bellows seem to do the trick to get nearly all the coffee out. I don't find I need to use the brush much. Probably depends on beans and local climate.

I got 5KG of stale beans from a friendly roaster to do seasoning. I ran the first KG through in a few minutes, obviously without RDT. A fair bit of mess but the grinder really did plough through it. The metal top was quite warm by the end, but I'm not often going to grind kilo in one go. I certainly would not want to put that amount through the Vario in one go.

So it's a big upgrade from the Vario in terms of engineering. It's possibly not more convenient *unless* it turns out to be more consistent than the Vario which was quite hit and miss. Taste remains to be seen.

I wanted a more commercial type big burr grinder with minimal retention issues and I think this about the best I could have got without going the next level up in price.

I also wanted something that looked a bit like it might be seen in an Italian cafe, and not a Swedish art museum.

I'll report back with more observations when I've finished the seasoning and tried a few more things.

Edited by RobTheCoffeeDrinker
Typos and clarifications.
Posted (edited)

Update:

I put 4KG of the stale beans through for seasoning. Somewhat messy but otherwise fine. I will say the grinder does not like having large amounts of beans dumped in one go. I would probably not run it with a hopper. The motor would not restart if I let it stop when loaded, and it even stalled once from running at an espresso grind setting when I fed it beans too fast. Each time going to grind setting of 4 (burrs chirp at 0) freed it up. Also with no RDT and loading the bellows as if they were a hopper, ground coffee comes out somewhat burstily.

I made 3 good shots this morning. The first one I forgot to do RDT and coffee came out in bursts and I had to work the bellows a lot to get it all out. The shot was good, though.

Next two I did RDT and it makes it much easier to get all the coffee out.

I am dosing directly into the portafilter with the funnel on but holding it and moving and rotating it a bit as needed to get a more even pile. Then I stir with a cocktail stick, then tamp. (I want to get a WDT tool and Decent tamper next I think).

All three shots came out consistently. I dosed 18g and got ~36g out in about 40s from pump start on my Expobar dual boiler (E61 group head). That seemed a bit long so I made the grind courser by 0.1 but it made little difference (probably bigger adjustments are needed).

This is a big improvement in consistency from the Vario, where my second shot always seemed a bit hit and miss.

I will say that was an awesome espresso. I was not making such good shots regularly before. Partly it is the grinder, but also I have only just started measuring ratio. (I previously settled into habits I got into from reading forums 7 years ago when people were talking more about tamp pressure and measuring shot timing and looking for blonding, instead of dose and ratio).

If I really can do this consistently I'll be very happy with the combination of new grinder + methods.

pump, not motor
  • Like 1

@RobTheCoffeeDrinker

•  
  • 4 posts

I got a Ceado E37SD yesterday. I bought it from CoffeeItalia. When I searched the forum for CoffeeItalia, I found lots of posts with sharp intakes of breath, and warnings about searching the forums to see terrible tales of woe, but no actual tales of woe. So I set my expectations and ordered.

So you missed the 6 page thread about them in the retailers review area?

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum/34-retailer-reviews/

Didn't spot them in the alphabetical listing of retailers?

Ah...well we need to do more to make that area a little more visible perhaps...🤣 it would also help if they didn't have 3 variations of name!

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

I had problems with a grinder off them but it did get sorted out. ;) Also some compensation via paypal.

There were some language problems initially as they sell from Italy but that was sorted too.

Posted (edited)
On 21/05/2021 at 13:18, DavecUK said:

So you missed the 6 page thread about them in the retailers review area?

Fair play, @DavecUK.

In my defense, all I did was search for coffeeitalia using the search box: https://coffeeforums.co.uk/search/?&q=coffeeitalia&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

104 results. Look at that first page. "this retailer is a huge NO GO"; "less than stellar reputation"; "dont have a great rep"; "Put “coffeeitalia ” into the site search box, and from the results read a few of the many tales of woe"; "You won't get any support fromcoffeeitalia"; "you may want to do a quick search of "coffeeitalia " using the forum search tool...warning:- sit down before reading"; "I would do a search of "coffeeitalia " up there in the search bar"; "Buying from the likes ofcoffeeitalia is effectively buying without a warranty"; "Do yourself a favour and search forcoffeeitalia experiences on here"; "coffeeitalia dont have the best reputation"; "fingers crossed it arrives ok"; "Coffeeitalia doesn't have a great reputation".

Yes, I was lazy and didn't look much beyond that. Didn't seem worth it as I knew which grinder I wanted by that point and the choice of suppliers was limited. Life is full of risks, etc. I'm just writing about my own experiences.

Edit: I tried to add my own data to that 6 page thread but there is no post button. Something to do with, "We want our reviews to be by established members" perhaps.