L&R

New Ceado E37SD Single-dose Grinder

Still can't realize what makes this a single dose grinder. And what warrants the premium over the regular S.

Maybe someone from Ceado can iluminate us. I know they have people active on forums.

Do you know the price of it?

What price premium?

I don't think anyone knows the price of it yet do they? As far as I know the price hasn't been released. All this talk of being "overpriced" and 4k+ VAT seems to be based around a completely different grinder with a vaguely similar name... "E37Z Hero", unless I missed something. The E37SD has several changes from the E37S that are supposed to make it better for single dosing. How much it costs is still unknown.

They have put titanium burrs in, a slower motor, presumably to reduce popcorning, removed the dosing electronics, added a puffer and chute cover. They have also changed the top burr carrier to reduce retention further apparently, and to incorporate a new more flexible adjustment method.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Edited by hotmetal

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

The E37Z is 6500$ in the US. That would translate to 5000 pounds.

I don't think the SD will be cheaper than the S.

No, probably not. And I believe they've made some changes to the S for 2019 so that's probably gone up a bit since I got mine. But I haven't seen any price info on any of their 2019 grinders yet. The S and SD may well be similar in price, I doubt it will be top dollar like the Z. That's their "showpiece" grinder for Host and other such trade shows, or to mop up sales from would-be monolith buyers with more money than patience!

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Don't mind the url:https://www.torrtoys.com/ceado-grinders-1/ceado-e37-j-64mm-flat-burr-grinder-rtpg5-ht4cb

£1.8k!

Not sure how it makes me feel since it’s just a pimped E37s, but it’s probably still the cheapest big flat burr single doser?

It's just another horizontal flat burr grinder. Without a conventional hopper.

What makes it a single dose grinder beside Ceado's marketing?

It's just another horizontal flat burr grinder. Without a conventional hopper.

What makes it a single dose grinder beside Ceado's marketing?

What are you missing out in this grinder that you think could not be called a single dosing grinder? Vertical burrs, auger, straight down exit chute?

I assume the exit chute has been reworked as it looks different. The puffer should help with retention too, as well as redesigned burr carrier (still unclear on that detail?). The single button is not a big deal, but will certainly help compared to a timer. I’m not sure about the clump crusher which seemed to be the main pain point of E37s I had. It either sprayed too much or it clogged up with a bit of coffee (nothing more than a gram or two, mind you).

It takes the SD around 10 to 15 seconds to grind a 20g dose. Compare that to a regular ondemand grinder which does it in 3-4 seconds while an Ek43 does it in 2.

You see what I'm missing?

It takes the SD around 10 to 15 seconds to grind a 20g dose. Compare that to a regular ondemand grinder which does it in 3-4 seconds while an Ek43 does it in 2.

Is this a must have for a single doser? Does that make Niche not a single doser anymore? How does that go against the claim that lower RPMs produce different (better?) grind? IIRC Monolith isn’t super fast to grind either, especially if it’s set to lower speed (doh!).

This is a home coffee enthusiast forum and people have been using hand grinders for espresso... I did that myself for a wee while. I’m going to say that for most home users, the grind time is not the most important property.

If the absence of a hopper is what it takes, I guess the niche is a single dose grinder.

TBH I'm hoping ceado has done some actual research on particle distribution and they haven't just assumed people will grind finer, as you do, when you single dose an ondemand grinder.

Two interesting points there, firstly espresso can take a little longer, (+/- 10 seconds on grind and 20 seconds on p.i. and finish) without me feeling anxious or frustrated. I'm more interested in the outcome. However, it was originally named for a reason.....

Secondly, my "other grinder" is a Ceado and there isn't any doubt that Ceado are professional and know about grind distribution; their designs clearly show that. The products are specified and designed around small cafe or large cafe and latterly, home use. If we choose to re-specify a cafe grinder c/w doser for home use (my choice) then we can expect to have to change a few things; but that's hardly Ceado's failing.

Group purchase :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ....... only kidding.

Jon.

As in alot of you are going to chip in to buy one grinder... Then share it?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

A bit more time to grind your coffee......

Instagram - rjw_inc

Coffee Italia have it for £1700. If it can do a decent job at single dosing (which it should given its name) it would make it the cheapest big flat single doser on the market.

What I am interested in like others is what it has changed substantially in the e37s to see if we could mod it to do the same.

The pump doser seems to have a narrow opening. The difference in the top burr carrier would be good to know as well.

If I use a lens hood and open the flap completely could I get the same results? I think I have tried this and grind distribution seemed to be massively different to normal hoppered function. Maybe it's worth another try before selling on.

In other words retention is an easier obstacle to resolve than distribution. Wonder how they've done it.

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

The grind will be different compared to loading a hopper*. The general consensus is that you’ll need to grind finer and WDT/redistribute after grinding.

* - I’m not going to say whether it’s better or worse as I have no evidence on either.

The grind will be different compared to loading a hopper*. The general consensus is that you’ll need to grind finer and WDT/redistribute after grinding.

* - I’m not going to say whether it’s better or worse as I have no evidence on either.

Yes well that would be disappointing as then there is a trade off for single dosing in the quality and consistency of the grind.

I presumed the goal behind monolith flat, lyn webber flat and ek43 is that they can attain comparable grind quality to peers AND single dose.

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

In response to your disclaimer that you can't say which would be better, I would go that far and say from trying both on the e37s I prefer significantly the quality with a hopper loaded with beans.

Is there a representive from Ceado on the forum who can answer some of these questions?

Anyone know who is the main stockist of Ceado spares in the UK?

What I love is that have stole MY idea !!!!!
Have you started getting your royalties?

Posted (edited)
Yes well that would be disappointing as then there is a trade off for single dosing in the quality and consistency of the grind.

I presumed the goal behind monolith flat, lyn webber flat and ek43 is that they can attain comparable grind quality to peers AND single dose.

Depends what you mean by can "attain grind quality"

Some are designed to run without a hopper on , by this I mean they dont have the faculty to put a hopper on them physically. Made to single dose.

The EH1 and Monolith will still popcorn to some degree, in their cases there isnt a difference between single dosing and not as you cant run them without single dosing .....( being pedantic here ) . They may popcorn to a lesser degree than other grinders or each other. But there is no weight above the beans.

The Ek is a different beast with it's auger ( other grinder have augers ) this was not designed to be an espresso grinder but a bulk grinder or it's not designed to single dose at all ( unlike Monolith, Niche etc ) Its just a weird spice grinder than works for coffee :) But for espresso you couldnt run it with a hopper efficiently without wasting a massive amount of coffee ( it grinds to quick ) . So again to some degree it can only be realisticallly single dosed or used to grind bulk amounts.

You look at something like the Monolith where its aligned to an inch of its life, each one tested to the nth degree via refractometer, what more do you want ? Yes if you ran a weigh above the beans , you might need to grind coarser the grind might be different , but what do you want out of coffee and life ?

There are so many imperfections that the roaster and barista add that it can be pointless worrying about some things :) .

The Caedo will make good coffee I am sure, single dosed , its the grind lock thingy that interests me more.

Edited by Mrboots2u

Instagram - rjw_inc

I've always wandered what's the appeal of a ceado compared to a Compak for example.

I don't think I've ever seen a decent cafe running a ceado grinder.

I've always wandered what's the appeal of a ceado compared to a Compak for example.

I don't think I've ever seen a decent cafe running a ceado grinder.

Where as conversely lots of " great cafes, have apparently mis aligned Ek's...

Unless in the words of Lisa Stansfield you've " Been Around the world I can't find my Caedo " then it's unlikely that no good cafe's have em at all.

Instagram - rjw_inc

I haven't been around the world but a regular cafe seems to function with a Mazzer or a cheaper Fiorenzato while the higher end ones have a mix of Mythos or Malhkonig.

I know there's a lot of marketing at play but still, where's Ceado?

PS: you can find pictures/videos of most cafes and the equivalent they use.

I haven't been around the world but a regular cafe seems to function with a Mazzer or a cheaper Fiorenzato while the higher end ones have a mix of Mythos or Malhkonig.

I know there's a lot of marketing at play but still, where's Ceado?

PS: you can find pictures/videos of most cafes and the equivalent they use.

Its a massive generalisation you are making. I have had good / great coffee from cafe's using Mazzer's ( Roburs ) and bad really bad coffee from lots of cafe's using Mythos.

Specailty seems to mirror itself > I cant be a cafe unless my peers take me seriously , to be taken seriously i must look that part > where is my mythos and ek.....

Where are Ceado, who cares really, Peak's didnt make it into many places, does this make all Mahl stuff rubbish , nope....

I could say i have never seen a Compak in a decent cafe doesn't make them bad grinders.

Instagram - rjw_inc