L&R

New Ceado E37SD Single-dose Grinder

It's a neat way of overcharging for "features" that don't actually do anything.

Compare this to a Compak R100 or R120, horizontal flat burr grinders which can actually single dose, and you'll realize the SD does nothing that would justify it's existance over the regular S.

To be fair, an R120 is the size of a small child, paint it red and people will stick their letters in it. An E37S is 1/3 the size and a quarter of the price.

That said, a regular E37S with a lens hood seems pretty much the same as this SD. I wonder if they sell that chute cover separately?

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

To be fair, an R120 is the size of a small child, paint it red and people will stick their letters in it.

Sarah and I just snorted our coffee's :) (you can also paint them gold for Olympians!, or add a toilet plunger to the grind dial for your own Dalek)

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 85Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

I have a pic somewhere of one of my mates standing in an old fashioned metal dustbin with a colander on his head, a whisk and a sink plunger in his hands. I thought for years he was doing a Dalek impression. Turns out he was a hard-core grinder fan!

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

so are they just relying upon the puffer to clean out retention or have mods been made elsewhere as I cannot remember the E37S I had as being retention free. What price range are they in?

 You did not get me this time 

I think it's nice is to see mainstream grinder manufacturers taking single dosing and presumably the home market more seriously.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

so are they just relying upon the puffer to clean out retention or have mods been made elsewhere as I cannot remember the E37S I had as being retention free. What price range are they in?

I found the flap being the worst bit. It either sprays grounds like crazy or holds up a fair bit. I assume the design of that is changed since blowing air through might lift the flap.

It’s quite promising! It could be a big flat burr single doser that’s well priced.

£3,668.00 .........

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

grief...

Victor

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

grief...

Victor

Group purchase :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ....... only kidding.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

It looks quite cheap next to the E37Z.

Or in other perspective, you can sell just about anything with the right buzz words.

You could get a Monolith Flat Max or an EK43S with SSP burrs for that price and have plenty left over for a years fish and chip suppers.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Where did that price come from?

Probably mistaken with Ceado E37Z Hero. I cannot foresee Ceado releasing two single dose grinders with a premium price badge!

Both have 83mm burrs, SD is titanium and Hero is DLC.

What’s great about it is that one of the bigger boys in the market engage into the single dosing market. I believe next few years might get very exciting.

Where did that price come from?

Yes it was the 'Hero' price :bad: I'd been perusing it yesterday.

Jon.

The Z is a variable speed, angled burr grinder that goes for 6500$.

The SD is a slower rpm S without the hopper.

Apart from the Ceado sticker they have nothing in common.

Apparently, they've also modified the top burr carrier to reduce retention further (?), done away with the electronic timing bit that the S has, and put Ti burrs in. Also the adjuster seems to have changed to a worm drive with a quick change override, which might be good if the burrs will actually grind well at brewed coarsenes. Not sure quite where that leaves it price-wise. On H-B people are saying they'd buy it instead of a monolith flat as long as it's cheaper. Personally I'd hope it would be swings and roundabouts with the burrs and puffer vs on-demand electronics, and hope it would be comparable in price to my S. Not that I single dose anyway, except that last shot that always runs too fast!

___

Eat, drink and be merry

£3,668.00 .........

Jon.

You forgot to add VAT so that's £4,401....kerching!

What is it with the holy grail of zero retention? What's important is being able to switch beans with minimal faff (once they've been dialled in) back and forth. Having to purge, as is the case with certain grinders, IS a faff but so long as the loss is in the range of half - one gram, what's the big deal?

What I did find hard to get my head around is the inclusion of glass bottles so you can pre-grind and use later. Are they serious?

You forgot to add VAT so that's £4,401....kerching!

PLUS VAT !!!! .... Goes to show I saw that it was over £3,500.00 so it no longer had my interest :whistle:

Jon.

Give it few months and there will be additional Brexit fee, too.

Give it few months and there will be additional Brexit fee, too.

O'h no .. not more scaremongering, not sure you can panic buy these Monoliths and other much sought after grinders :exit:.

Jon.

Still can't realize what makes this a single dose grinder. And what warrants the premium over the regular S.

Maybe someone from Ceado can iluminate us. I know they have people active on forums.