DavecUK

Reverse Osmosis - Osmio Zero review

To all new owners of the Osimo zero

How are you finding it ? Is there a difference in the cup to your old water method?

Hottop roaster, Mazzer Super Jolly Areopress, Clever Coffee Dripper

Thanks a lot for your review Dave. A black unit is on the way.

I was reading your Bianca review and saw Osmio.

Next will be getting the Bianca!

Kinu M47 Traveler, VST 18g Ridgeless Basket, Vesuvius, Osmio Zero, Acaia Lunar, Nanopresso, Hario Mini-Slim, Nespresso Pixie

Thanks a lot for your review Dave. A black unit is on the way.

I was reading your Bianca review and saw Osmio.

Next will be getting the Bianca!

All good choices. :)

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

To all new owners of the Osimo zero

How are you finding it ? Is there a difference in the cup to your old water method?

Not that I notice in taste Soll (coming froim under-counter RO before). Whenever DC asks me how I am getting on with the Osmio my usual reply is "it's boring, as it should be". I use, fill, swirl a bit of water round the external tank each time I empty to refill and once a month give the external tank a Milton clean. I moved to it for hygiene and cleanliness combined with not having a difficult-to-clean system under mains pressure should something go wrong.

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

Most likely will get one myself, excuse my blindness but I've not seen dealer names mentioned above, where do people buy them from? Saw them on Amazon yesterday for £399 which I think is the usual price.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

Most likely will get one myself, excuse my blindness but I've not seen dealer names mentioned above, where do people buy them from? Saw them on Amazon yesterday for £399 which I think is the usual price.

T.

Get one direct from Osmio, mention the forum so you get the deal others have got. If you get from Amazon I don't think your going to get any deal and end up paying the same. I also believe one of the roasters who advertise on here (well known I think), can't remember the name were going to become a distributor and do forum deals for it. So theres 2 places where I get no commission for you to buy it from. ;)

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

Dog & hat mentioned they're going to stock them.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

As for the Milton cleaning I am fine tuning the procedure and have a Video, which for various reasons I'm not 100% happy with (probably because I am trying to keep it unedited apart from cuts and evidential) however I made a few balls ups, so edited those out. Realistically because it's to show how, I suppose that doesn't matter. Also I want to recheck the Milton fill amounts to prevent internal tank overflow. I have one opinion, Osmio have another (in fairness because of earlier feedback from me). So I am double checking mine, because I think I'm right and I want the process to be easy and super effective.

Trouble is I have been busy with a few other projects, so never got round to double checking my process. The Minima production review is proving irritating, although it does produce a great shot...sometimes I hate Gicar! I also had to do a little more testing on the Niche. Next week i shall get around to the RO unit again.

Aha, I think you're correct about Dog and Hat...good catch.

Posted (edited)

Received my unit today.

No coffee made with it yet but the drinking water is very tasty. I ran some tests on the water coming out: I get around 70 ppm GH and 35 ppm KH... You can't really ask for much more than that, pretty much bang on what you'd want for some tasty coffee water. The TDS meter is giving me 51 at 25C, pH meter is saying 6.5 (haven't left it settle though) - the KH suggests an approx equilibrium pH of 6.8.

(For full disclosure the water line is sitting around the 4L mark. I completely drained the unit, refilled, took a small glass out to drink and left the unit for about 2 hours before pulling my test sample... I'm expecting performance to fluctuate so will re-test a few times at different fill levels/waiting times to see what happens.)

Initial signs look very good for coffee taste without the need for any bicarb, etc.

EDIT: For even fuller disclosure my tap water is currently running 352 TDS out of the tap right now

Edited by Power Freak

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero

I'm ordering one tomorrow, main question is how to convince my wife she wants a black unit...

T.

The only thing I'm worried with a white one is the plastic going yellowish after some time.

T.

I think the White one looks better.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I must've missed the small print above somewhere but I was just told the unit has a limited life of 5 years. Cost wise this isn't a massive problem as it means it's £80 a year for good water, but I'm not crazy about binning an entire unit after a fairly short time...

T.

I must've missed the small print above somewhere but I was just told the unit has a limited life of 5 years. Cost wise this isn't a massive problem as it means it's £80 a year for good water, but I'm not crazy about binning an entire unit after a fairly short time...

T.

Plus the cost of the cartridges, roughly £100 per annum.

Plus the cost of the cartridges, roughly £100 per annum.
+ cost of tap water and electricity.

But it's mostly the issue of chucking the machine in the bin after 5 years. Osmio said they will not take it back and the reason why it's 5 years is that their material testing only covers up to 5 years, so they cannot guarantee components / plastics for longer than 5 years. Two things to look for would be plastic degradation and internal corrosion. Not ideal for a machine which dispenses drinking water:/

T.

+ cost of tap water and electricity.

But it's mostly the issue of chucking the machine in the bin after 5 years. Osmio said they will not take it back and the reason why it's 5 years is that their material testing only covers up to 5 years, so they cannot guarantee components / plastics for longer than 5 years. Two things to look for would be plastic degradation and internal corrosion. Not ideal for a machine which dispenses drinking water:/

T.

I change my under counter units with storage tank every 3-4 years, always have and I would always change them after 5-6 years even if it was possible to sterilise them properly (which it isn't). I would do this because parts invariably fail or wear such as flush valves, pumps, connections, seals, taps, tanks etc..The pumped hot water boilers I also used to change every 5 years, usually because that's about how long they last, the little micropumps often fail and when they do everything else is also close to failure so it's not worth buying a new micro pump. I also like to think the water I am drinking is coming from something 5 years old or younger. e.g. I wouldn't use a plastic bottle for 5 years...

I would see the Osmio Zero as no different in this regard and am not surprised that replacement at reasonable intervals is advised by the manufacturers (Osmio). It's why in my review everything was mentioned in relation to 5 years costings...as naturally I would consider replacing at or around that time....perhaps if the unit was still working well and giving no problems I would go to 6 or 7 years...but certainly if it was 5 years and had a problem, I probably wouldn't bother trying to repair it. I think Osmio as a responsible retailer are being super cautious and stating that they have tested the unit for a 5 years life and are happy for that, not saying it won't last longer and they are not saying that it will become unsafe. Perhaps if more manufacturers were as honest about their products, then we wouldn't be so surprised.

I think it will be a shame if you decide it doesn't meet your needs because you will be missing out on a great little unit.

P.S. That's not to say that when I do change the unit out, I wouldn't strip it for any useful little spares for the next unit.

I've just had a discussion with Mark and he said he's happy to swap out parts after 5 years and he'll do so for free :) that's enough to convince me to get a unit for myself.

T.

I've just had a discussion with Mark and he said he's happy to swap out parts after 5 years and he'll do so for free :) that's enough to convince me to get a unit for myself.

T.

Mark is a quality guy...but then I try and only review stuff from companies with the right attitude. You made a good move, I think you will love the unit.

I've been playing around with a unit for the last few days and I have to ask all the other users, how's your boiling water setting working? On mine the first few seconds is around 80degC, then it ramps up to around 90degC and above, but at that stage you already have over 100ml of not-so-boiling water. Not sure if it's supposed to work like this or whether it's defective.

T.

It sort of has to work that way....if you need it red hot for tea, simply run the hot water for a few seconds (3 ish) then draw for tea. For coffee I find it more than hot enough. I don't get 100 ml before it's at 90 though, possibly 30-50 ml, but I have not measured.

It's an HX for heating right?

I can see the reasons why it's like this, but it's a faff at the end of the day, especially coupled with the slow flow. I typically just draw cold water and boil a kettle on an induction hob, much more efficient that way.

T.

It's a small ceramic heating box which contains some water (not an HX). The software is programmed thusly. Heat on, very short delay, micropump pump on, temperature feedback loop to vary speed of micropump so temperature is maintained.

It's efficient in that you boil the minimum amount of water for what you use. inefficiencies are in the fact that a water draw of room temp water immediately after boiling water will be hot for the first 30-40 ml. As I said, I have no problem for coffee, just place espresso cup under, select boiling and press...it's more than hot enough. For tea, run 20 or 30 ml out to warm cup, place teabag in cup, or tea in pot and then run water....this ensures subsequent water is very hot, because the boiler is preheated.

In fact I thought the hot water system was so good compared to thermococks, I was going to ask Mark if it was patented to Osmio only...because there might be an opportunity to use exactly that ceramic heater in one of the future ACS espresso machines on the drawing board....the Prima. I just need to remember to see if Mark will send me a ceramic heater to have a look at. I don't know if he will, but it's not a competing market, more complementary.