IGNORED

Reverse Osmosis - Osmio Zero review

Warning on the video on the post above:

To any Italians or anyone of an Italian background (including myself): Contains distressing scenes.

Use the Osmio to fill in the pan. Bring the water to the boil. Add the pasta to the boiling water. And that's not plenty of water either. :-(

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Chilledmatt I'm also in Norfolk, and now have an Osmio Zero, so you can base the impacts etc on my figures if you wish. I used to use a Britta jug with genuine cartridges, and also tried a under

When we bring out a new model we will invite existing customers to trade in their Zero which can be reconditioned and given to charity or sold on ebay as grade C ones and I will do my best to bring th

Well some interesting stats from my water bill just landed. In my review of the unit I talked about 20 litres down the drain for every 4 litres of RO water made...this is because of the specific way p

Posted Images

This looks like keen value compared with a Bestmax cartridge system in an area with >300ppm hardness.

@DavecUK can you use water that’s already gone through a domestic water softener system? I’m imagining this should prolong the life of the membrane?

This looks like keen value compared with a Bestmax cartridge system in an area with >300ppm hardness.

@DavecUK can you use water that’s already gone through a domestic water softener system? I’m imagining this should prolong the life of the membrane?

You can. The same question was answered a few posts above. [emoji106]

See post 44

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Well I've done some initial tests and TDS of RO water is around 7-10% the figure for the incoming water, so in line with other types of RO systems. This means for calcium and Mg, the remineralisation filter is adding around 30-40 TDS more. My judgment would be that the water will be "coffee machine safe". Bicarb could be added, you you would only need the smallest amount. I will be testing that later to get the exact quantity, but at the moment my estimate would be around 0.07g per litre max. so about half what it says here...

http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/ro-wa...pper-corrosion

The main worry about acidity is based on a generalised lack of understanding about the pH scale which is logarithmic, misleading and easily misunderstood. I do have to try and clarify this. so a tiny tiny science lesson.

This is relative acidity with pH on the left (7 is neutral). Coffee is 5 and barely acidic in the scheme of things. Try and descale something with Coffee.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38801&d=1548611878

Next is the entire pH scale from 0 = very acidic to 14 = very alkaline, because it's logarithmic the relative acidity or alkalinity shown by the bars isn't very useful because it barely registers in the middle ranges.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38802&d=1548611941

Sop if we zoom in on the yellow bit we get this. Still not useful, because it's logarithimc, each pH change is 10x10x10x10 etc.. Remember 5.5 and above is "barely acidic"

attachment.php?attachmentid=38803&d=1548612036

So lets drill down again in the part with the yellow bit. Now we're looking at pH 7 to 6.5 only.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38804&d=1548612173

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

Because stupid captcha buggers up posts I had to continue on a separate post...if I try to edit the one above I just get a blank page.

In the last chart shows the relative acidity as we drill down even further, as you can see a pH of 6.6 is nothing compared to 6.5 which is hardly acidic at all and absoultely NOTHING compared to 6.6 which is 10 times more (and that's still nothing compared to 6.7 which is 10 times more than 6.6 and still hardly acidic.

The message is good luck in trying to corrode your coffee machine with water having a pH of 6.5 and with remineralisation the Osmio sits happily at a pH of 6.5. So I don't think you will have a problem, if you want to add bicarb, go ahead but even with a copper boiler I believe unnecessary. If you have steel boilers and perhaps only copper thermosyphon pipes, simply don't bother...you'll never get an acidity problem.

Sorry about the science, but pH is a misunderstood scale(oh the pH of stomach acid is about 2-3...so off the charts in the scheme of things, even though it still wouldn't make a very good descaler!, look at lemon juice!

Edited by DavecUK

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

I just checked Tesco’s Ashbeck water and the PH is 6.2 at source, for comparison.

Appreciate your efforts in all this Dave and I will certainly pull the trigger and purchase one of the Osimo units.

I'm glad because I have spent most of the day checking a sterilisation procedure I came up with....finding it wanting (I'll tell you guys when I got more time). Then coming up with something even easier, better and cleverer. I need to test it tomorrow of course (but I'm pretty sure it will work). So an interesting if not work filled day tomorrow and if that doesn't work I have other ideas up my sleeve...

I always test all my procedures, which is why I got bored of writing user guides and reviewing standard machines for BB, the user guides were never a cut and paste, every procedure was tested by me.

I just checked Tesco’s Ashbeck water and the PH is 6.2 at source, for comparison.

Yeah, don't drink Ashbeck it will burn yer insides out ;)

Blimey, I should have taken the offer of commission/referrals ;)

Because stupid captcha buggers up posts I had to continue on a separate post...if I try to edit the one above I just get a blank page.

In the last chart shows the relative acidity as we drill down even further, as you can see a pH of 6.6 is nothing compared to 6.5 which is hardly acidic at all and absoultely NOTHING compared to 6.6 which is 10 times more (and that's still nothing compared to 6.7 which is 10 times more than 6.6 and still hardly acidic.

The message is good luck in trying to corrode your coffee machine with water having a pH of 6.5 and with remineralisation the Osmio sits happily at a pH of 6.5. So I don't think you will have a problem, if you want to add bicarb, go ahead but even with a copper boiler I believe unnecessary. If you have steel boilers and perhaps only copper thermosyphon pipes, simply don't bother...you'll never get an acidity problem.

Sorry about the science, but pH is a misunderstood scale(oh the pH of stomach acid is about 2-3...so off the charts in the scheme of things, even though it still wouldn't make a very good descaler!, look at lemon juice!

What is the reference temperature for the quoted pH values. How does the pH vary with temperature? What is the pH at boiler temperatures? A meaningful analysis and recommendations need to take temperature into account.

Ordered mine today. The website is also showing a sanitisation kit now.

Excellent, yeah just saw it. It's a good kit for the clean freaks like me...I like to sanitise the systems I drink from, probably I worry too much. I am going to make a short video on how to use the kit (as I was largely responsible for it being developed). The 3rd filter little square one is a blank and handy if you don't want to remineralise at all and just want to add bicarb...but I've given my view on that already.

I don't know why Nikko is posting on here...but I have him on ignore and don't read his posts and won't reply to them, so he is wasting his time.

I pulled the trigger as well, I was due a cartridge change on my under sink filter anyway.

Two purchased with one for the house and one for the workshop. Picture of the one in the house, the workshop was only plastered yesterday so the other one will remain boxed for a bit yet.

Thanks to Dave for all the effort of looking at this kit and taking the time to inform us all of his findings. 6cdf4a26750e1b4cb040417ec347755e.jpg