DavecUK

Reverse Osmosis - Osmio Zero review

I'm guessing if you want a pan full of water for example to cook pasta, it's pretty slow to fill with boiling water?

It depends how much water you want. 500ml would take around 1 minute.....just a rough estimate. When I used to eat pasta (long ago), if I was cooking a family sized amout, I would usually bring a saucepan to the boil. To be honest my interest in the Osmio Zero is focussed on drinking water and coffee.

Funnily enough though the other day the owner of Osmio was testing out his new phone camera and Gimbal and it just happened to be about pasta.

Edited by DavecUK

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Warning on the video on the post above:

To any Italians or anyone of an Italian background (including myself): Contains distressing scenes.

Use the Osmio to fill in the pan. Bring the water to the boil. Add the pasta to the boiling water. And that's not plenty of water either. :-(

OMG total sacrilege, we will have to put an Italian block on the thread

AKA Toffee chips

I'm not of Italian descent (Cypriot actually) but still found that odd. Why didn't he add the pasta after filling the pan ?

Hottop roaster, Mazzer Super Jolly Areopress, Clever Coffee Dripper

This looks like keen value compared with a Bestmax cartridge system in an area with >300ppm hardness.

@DavecUK can you use water that’s already gone through a domestic water softener system? I’m imagining this should prolong the life of the membrane?

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

This looks like keen value compared with a Bestmax cartridge system in an area with >300ppm hardness.

@DavecUK can you use water that’s already gone through a domestic water softener system? I’m imagining this should prolong the life of the membrane?

You can. The same question was answered a few posts above.

See post 44

You can. The same question was answered a few posts above.

See post 44

Got it. Thanks.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Well I've done some initial tests and TDS of RO water is around 7-10% the figure for the incoming water, so in line with other types of RO systems. This means for calcium and Mg, the remineralisation filter is adding around 30-40 TDS more. My judgment would be that the water will be "coffee machine safe". Bicarb could be added, you you would only need the smallest amount. I will be testing that later to get the exact quantity, but at the moment my estimate would be around 0.07g per litre max. so about half what it says here...

http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/ro-wa...pper-corrosion

The main worry about acidity is based on a generalised lack of understanding about the pH scale which is logarithmic, misleading and easily misunderstood. I do have to try and clarify this. so a tiny tiny science lesson.

This is relative acidity with pH on the left (7 is neutral). Coffee is 5 and barely acidic in the scheme of things. Try and descale something with Coffee.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38801&d=1548611878

Next is the entire pH scale from 0 = very acidic to 14 = very alkaline, because it's logarithmic the relative acidity or alkalinity shown by the bars isn't very useful because it barely registers in the middle ranges.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38802&d=1548611941

Sop if we zoom in on the yellow bit we get this. Still not useful, because it's logarithimc, each pH change is 10x10x10x10 etc.. Remember 5.5 and above is "barely acidic"

attachment.php?attachmentid=38803&d=1548612036

So lets drill down again in the part with the yellow bit. Now we're looking at pH 7 to 6.5 only.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38804&d=1548612173

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Because stupid captcha buggers up posts I had to continue on a separate post...if I try to edit the one above I just get a blank page.

In the last chart shows the relative acidity as we drill down even further, as you can see a pH of 6.6 is nothing compared to 6.5 which is hardly acidic at all and absoultely NOTHING compared to 6.6 which is 10 times more (and that's still nothing compared to 6.7 which is 10 times more than 6.6 and still hardly acidic.

The message is good luck in trying to corrode your coffee machine with water having a pH of 6.5 and with remineralisation the Osmio sits happily at a pH of 6.5. So I don't think you will have a problem, if you want to add bicarb, go ahead but even with a copper boiler I believe unnecessary. If you have steel boilers and perhaps only copper thermosyphon pipes, simply don't bother...you'll never get an acidity problem.

Sorry about the science, but pH is a misunderstood scale(oh the pH of stomach acid is about 2-3...so off the charts in the scheme of things, even though it still wouldn't make a very good descaler!, look at lemon juice!

Edited by DavecUK

Appreciate your efforts in all this Dave and I will certainly pull the trigger and purchase one of the Osimo units.

So basically stick with the remineralisation cartridge and don’t worry about adding any bicarb. Sounds nice and simple to me (He says lol) which is what I like.

Thanks a lot Dave. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!!

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

I just checked Tesco’s Ashbeck water and the PH is 6.2 at source, for comparison.

Appreciate your efforts in all this Dave and I will certainly pull the trigger and purchase one of the Osimo units.

I'm glad because I have spent most of the day checking a sterilisation procedure I came up with....finding it wanting (I'll tell you guys when I got more time). Then coming up with something even easier, better and cleverer. I need to test it tomorrow of course (but I'm pretty sure it will work). So an interesting if not work filled day tomorrow and if that doesn't work I have other ideas up my sleeve...

I always test all my procedures, which is why I got bored of writing user guides and reviewing standard machines for BB, the user guides were never a cut and paste, every procedure was tested by me.

I just checked Tesco’s Ashbeck water and the PH is 6.2 at source, for comparison.

Yeah, don't drink Ashbeck it will burn yer insides out ;)

I use ashbeck as it's affordable but the Osimo system ticks most of my boxes so will definitely be ordering one.

Blimey, I should have taken the offer of commission/referrals ;)

Blimey, I should have taken the offer of commission/referrals ;)
You should of or at least keep the one your reviewing

Because stupid captcha buggers up posts I had to continue on a separate post...if I try to edit the one above I just get a blank page.

In the last chart shows the relative acidity as we drill down even further, as you can see a pH of 6.6 is nothing compared to 6.5 which is hardly acidic at all and absoultely NOTHING compared to 6.6 which is 10 times more (and that's still nothing compared to 6.7 which is 10 times more than 6.6 and still hardly acidic.

The message is good luck in trying to corrode your coffee machine with water having a pH of 6.5 and with remineralisation the Osmio sits happily at a pH of 6.5. So I don't think you will have a problem, if you want to add bicarb, go ahead but even with a copper boiler I believe unnecessary. If you have steel boilers and perhaps only copper thermosyphon pipes, simply don't bother...you'll never get an acidity problem.

Sorry about the science, but pH is a misunderstood scale(oh the pH of stomach acid is about 2-3...so off the charts in the scheme of things, even though it still wouldn't make a very good descaler!, look at lemon juice!

What is the reference temperature for the quoted pH values. How does the pH vary with temperature? What is the pH at boiler temperatures? A meaningful analysis and recommendations need to take temperature into account.

Ordered mine today. The website is also showing a sanitisation kit now.

Londinium I / Monolith Conical / Macap MC4 / Gene Cafe Roaster / Cormorant CR600 Roaster

Ordered mine today. The website is also showing a sanitisation kit now.

Excellent, yeah just saw it. It's a good kit for the clean freaks like me...I like to sanitise the systems I drink from, probably I worry too much. I am going to make a short video on how to use the kit (as I was largely responsible for it being developed). The 3rd filter little square one is a blank and handy if you don't want to remineralise at all and just want to add bicarb...but I've given my view on that already.

I don't know why Nikko is posting on here...but I have him on ignore and don't read his posts and won't reply to them, so he is wasting his time.

I pulled the trigger as well, I was due a cartridge change on my under sink filter anyway.

Two purchased with one for the house and one for the workshop. Picture of the one in the house, the workshop was only plastered yesterday so the other one will remain boxed for a bit yet.

Thanks to Dave for all the effort of looking at this kit and taking the time to inform us all of his findings. 6cdf4a26750e1b4cb040417ec347755e.jpg

Home Kit - ECM Synchronika and Niche Zero

Work Kit - Fracino Contempo Dual Fuel 2gp, Mythos and Niche Zero

Roastery - Fracino Bambino 2gp, Grinder TBC, Amazon Dalian 1kg

Ted,

Curious, did you get one white and one black or both white?

One of each Dave

One of each Dave

My mate got the white one and I thought it looked pretty good...I have the black.

The white is smart, ties in better with my kitchen and Niche. I'll have a look at the finish on the black tomorrow, I've seen the videos you've done and it looks nice.

It's a nice machine to use and sits in well around the other coffee related items. Slight adjustment of the workflow but it's a welcome addition to the setup.

Sadly the Osmio Water RO unit I bought was defective, the kettles were not refilling, so contacted Mark Kent at Osmio Water, no questions asked after talking him through my problems, a new Unit was sent out to me, well waiting for it today, then they are sending a courier to my house to pick up the faulty one, said that they had had a few machines in one batch all with the same problem, also told me that once my faulty machine was back and running it would be donated to a local charity, now if that isn't fabulous Customer Service, don't know what is, congratulations Osmio Water.

Osmio Zero Reverse Osmosis System-No Installation, Niche Zero, Profitec 600 Dual Boiler.