DavecUK

Reverse Osmosis - Osmio Zero review

Well perhaps they are my reviews must be powerful stuff and out less than 24 hours. ;)

I honestly don’t doubt that, Dave!

Probably a stupid question but I’m assuming the RO water is okay if just emptied into a water dispenser and kept for a number of days?

Depending on what you recommend regarding using the remineralisation filter vs adding more Sodium Bicarbonate when used specifically for coffee machines, it’ll be easier for me to remove something like 5+ litres of RO water at a time and transfer it to my water dispenser for use with Flojet etc...

Also, where is the best place to buy Sodium Bicarbonate?

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

Looks very nice. I couldn't find anything in the review so maybe it is assumed to be obviously the case but do you test the output to make sure it is doing what it says it is? Would it be exactly the same as any other RO system or are there variations in the performance i.e. 90% of XYZ is removed or 95% etc? (Apologies if I missed the reference to this part of the test in the review or on the thread.)

They show in stock on their website, is that an error and when you call they have no stock?

On the website they show out of stock for me:

https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/osmio-zero-installation-reverse-osmosis-system.html

EDIT:

Appears they have 2 different listings, this one is in stock:

https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/zip-portable-reverse-osmosis-system.html

Is there actually a difference between the units I'm not seeing?

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero

Well I have one in my basket, so he wont have ghost stock, they are are in stock. Yes one is stock ones not. Just email him

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

On the website they show out of stock for me:

https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/osmio-zero-installation-reverse-osmosis-system.html

EDIT:

Appears they have 2 different listings, this one is in stock:

https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/zip-portable-reverse-osmosis-system.html

Is there actually a difference between the units I'm not seeing?

No they definitely have stock of the Ozmio Zero, you seem to have found a rogue url, I mentioned it to them and they are going to fix it. So ring up, get your free filters or whatever by mentioning your a forum member aqs others seem to have done..

I honestly don’t doubt that, Dave!

Probably a stupid question but I’m assuming the RO water is okay if just emptied into a water dispenser and kept for a number of days?

Depending on what you recommend regarding using the remineralisation filter vs adding more Sodium Bicarbonate when used specifically for coffee machines, it’ll be easier for me to remove something like 5+ litres of RO water at a time and transfer it to my water dispenser for use with Flojet etc...

Also, where is the best place to buy Sodium Bicarbonate?

Sodium Bicarb from a supermarket....get supermarket own brand if you can. 1.50 worth will last you years.

Remember RO water has no chlorine in it any more, it's chlorine that stops drinking water going bad/making you ill, at the expense of the horrible taste. So RO water will never keep as long as chlorinated water. I would personally do around 2 or 3 litres at a time and transfer, so that you are replenishing the container more often, it also means you are using the Osmio more often without long pauses. for days and everything has a better chance of staying cleaner. So put 2 or 3 litres in the big container with flowjet and then add 1 litre or whatever per day to keep it topped up. Every 2 weeks let the flowjet tank run down, clean it and start again. If you decide not to RO and used bottled water, follow the same procedure, its why they say drink within 3 days of opening on bottled water (or something like that)..

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Looks very nice. I couldn't find anything in the review so maybe it is assumed to be obviously the case but do you test the output to make sure it is doing what it says it is? Would it be exactly the same as any other RO system or are there variations in the performance i.e. 90% of XYZ is removed or 95% etc? (Apologies if I missed the reference to this part of the test in the review or on the thread.)

Yeah it's doing what it says, my 280 ppm reduced to 30-60 ppm depending on remineralisation and amount drawn. This weekend I will be doing a sterilisation run (to come up with the process) and running the system with a blank filter number 4 in (remineralisation), this will give the raw TDS reading from the membrane which should be less than 20 I would think and probably more like 5 ppm. Trust me on the fact that it's a good RO system, the thing to consider is, does it fit your workflow, lifestyle and need, if like me it does, then it's a no brainer. I said I loved it before and I still love it...marvellous unit and finally, a system my whole family can agree on!!!

Edited by DavecUK

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Very interesting. I had been eyeing up the Xiaomi RO system for quite a while but it requires importing and actually costs more than this unit - good to have a nice complete system easily available in the UK.

Very interesting. I had been eyeing up the Xiaomi RO system for quite a while but it requires importing and actually costs more than this unit - good to have a nice complete system easily available in the UK.

The one I saw also had a drain hose that was directed to the sink!

I was just looking back and this whole Osmio Zero journey started because I recommended the system to @MildredM and thought I ought to have a look at it as I was recommending it....

The one I saw also had a drain hose that was directed to the sink!

I was just looking back and this whole Osmio Zero journey started because I recommended the system to @MildredM and thought I ought to have a look at it as I was recommending it....

Yea, there are 3 versions now with varying ways of attaching themselves to your water supply. Not sure why they didn't just do this and have a tank.

Remember RO water has no chlorine in it any more, it's chlorine that stops drinking water going bad/making you ill, at the expense of the horrible taste. So RO water will never keep as long as chlorinated water. [...] its why they say drink within 3 days of opening on bottled water (or something like that)..

This is interesting, and I never thought of that, which makes a lot of sense.

- A lot of us in this forum use bottled water, and buy 5 litre bottles to reduce waste. When I had my E61 machine, that used to last two weeks if I remember correctly. With the La Pavoni, it lasts 4 weeks. In both cases, far more than the 3 days recommended on the Tesco's Ashbeck bottle. Is this still an issue even if the water is heated inside our coffee machines, over 100C (116C approx inside the boiler of my La Pavoni at 0.85 bar), for over 10 minutes?

How often would you advice to refill the Osmio tank? For example, would it be advisable to keep the water in the Osmio tank for over 3 days or should it be emptied at least every other day? (I'm sorry if this was covered in the review and I have missed it)

Thank you.

This is interesting, and I never thought of that, which makes a lot of sense.

The

1. - A lot of us in this forum use bottled water, and buy 5 litre bottles to reduce waste. When I had my E61 machine, that used to last two weeks if I remember correctly. With the La Pavoni, it lasts 4 weeks. In both cases, far more than the 3 days recommended on the Tesco's Ashbeck bottle. Is this still an issue even if the water is heated inside our coffee machines, over 100C (116C approx inside the boiler of my La Pavoni at 0.85 bar), for over 10 minutes?

2. How often would you advice to refill the Osmio tank? For example, would it be advisable to keep the water in the Osmio tank for over 3 days or should it be emptied at least every other day? (I'm sorry if this was covered in the review and I have missed it)

Thank you.

1. I wouldn't be loving it personally, although the espresso machine makes it bacterially safe, it's just not nice. Considering how picky people are about bean freshness, taste, flat conical ..the general lack of machine and water tank cleanliness of too many, surprised me.

2. The water in the osmio tank has chlorine in it, even so I would hope people use a full tank every 2 days. Otherwise what are you drinking? Unless you're a camel you need 2 litres per day. Why wouldn't you drink that from the Osmio?

I tend to bang on about practical and often zero cost things we can do to make our coffee taste better. Clean machine, RO water etc I'm less excited about accessories, although simple things like airscape, group brushes, Grindestien type knock boxes etc.. make good sense as well.

Edited by DavecUK

Hi Dave, so should I put sodium back in for my coffee machine use. Because I only use it? And it's going to sit in the tanks and boiler for few days at a time.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Hi Dave, so should I put sodium back in for my coffee machine use. Because I only use it? And it's going to sit in the tanks and boiler for few days at a time.

Bicarb is just for buffering acidity and to up the TDS a tad. A tiny tiny punch per litre is all.

You will find the Osmio gives you around 40 ppm calcium and magnesium, so you may not need any bicarb.

Cool thanks.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

2. The water in the osmio tank has chlorine in it, even so I would hope people use a full tank every 2 days. Otherwise what are you drinking? Unless you're a camel you need 2 litres per day. Why wouldn't you drink that from the Osmio?

Not a camel, but a working horse .

Unfortunately I spend most of my time in the office, so I drink from their water supply and not my own. If my wife decides that she won’t drink from the Osmio - and believe me, she is very strongly minded - then unless I come home and drink another 3 litres (presumably I use 1 litre in the morning which will be unlikely) the tank will not be emptied normally frequently enough.

And that’s why I’m sitting on the fence, as I don’t want to spend £300 for something that I’ll be the only one using it.

We had a Britta Filter jug. She just drank from the tap as it’s “fresher”. I can’t win

Average man should consume 3.7 litre a day.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Not a camel, but a working horse .

Unfortunately I spend most of my time in the office, so I drink from their water supply and not my own. If my wife decides that she won’t drink from the Osmio - and believe me, she is very strongly minded - then unless I come home and drink another 3 litres (presumably I use 1 litre in the morning which will be unlikely) the tank will not be emptied normally frequently enough.

And that’s why I’m sitting on the fence, as I don’t want to spend £300 for something that I’ll be the only one using it.

We had a Britta Filter jug. She just drank from the tap as it’s “fresher”. I can’t win

I can sympathise with this. My mrs is not into gadgets or tech and doesn’t really like change and thinks everything other than what you need is a waste of money lol Even if the Osmio produces good water that tastes good or even better than bottled water, she’ll probably still say it tastes funny or she doesn’t like it lol

This is one of the reasons I’m still mulling it over as I’m still trying to convince her

My other dilemma is is how best to use it with my coffee machine... Do I use it with my existing Flojet and fill the water dispenser a few litres at a time, bearing in mind that I only get to make on average about 3 coffees per day so the RO water will be sitting in the water dispenser for a few days at best I think.

Ideally it’d be better if I could fill my internal reservoir direct from the Osmio, that way it would be used and replenished every couple of days and the Osmio would be used by myself, if no one else, frequently. Unfortunately, I only have about a 2cm gap above my machine under the cupboard, so it’s not easy to say the least, to refill the reservoir.

Edited by Deeez Nuuutz

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

One day when she’s in a good mood I will watch Dave’s reviews video on the telly when she’s around and hopefully she’ll be convinced. One hopes :-)

Felt furniture pads=slidey machine.

Very nice to see the review up and running! I have to admit, I was impressed with the ease of use and convenience of the machine. Also in the group of people that will need to convince the missus -- we go through an awful lot of bottled water (primarily sparkling) at the moment...

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Niche Zero

Brewed: Hario V60, French press

@DavecUK I will shortly start trying water from the Osmio in the Londinium R.

I had anticipated having to follow your suggestion of adding the pinch of bicarb but you now appear to be suggesting that it may not be necessary.

My concern is that the conductivity of the water must be sufficient to allow any level probes to function correctly. In this respect, I have read that tds below 50 is not advisable. Do you have a view on this?

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

Your level probe will work absolutely fine, guaranteed. The copper ions in the water from the boiler would see to that and the 30- 60 ppm from the Osmio will be enough as well.

Your level probe will work absolutely fine, guaranteed. The copper ions in the water from the boiler would see to that and the 30- 60 ppm from the Osmio will be enough as well.

When will you be testing this for the RO water used specifically for coffee machines, Dave? And when will you have a definitive answer for us on the exact amount of bicarb that will be needed, if any, and if it is best to be used with or without the remineralisation cartridge?

Thanks

Edited by Deeez Nuuutz

When will you be testing this for the RO water used specifically for coffee machines, Dave? And when will you have a definitive answer for us on the exact amount of bicarb that will be needed, if any, and if it is best to be used with or without the remineralisation cartridge?

Thanks

1. level probes working, been tested over last 15 years and I have never had a machine where the level probe has not actually worked even with pure RO water (no bicarb) and have tested this multiple times., because as soon as it hits a copper boiler it's conductive enough. I have tested steel boiler machines as well purposely with no RO treatment and not had a problem. that's not to say there will never be a make of machine that is not sufficiently sensitive that it can't detect low water with low TDS?

2. The pH even of non re-mineralised systems can get as low as 6, not often any less, but even this level of pH is unlikely (I can't say won't) bother an espresso machine over the course of it's reasonable lifetime....

3. The addition of a small amount of Bicarb guarantees 1 and 2 can never be an issue. It might help, or not with taste. I've tried taste testing and I cannot tell any difference. The problem is I had to use two machines with steel boilers to do it (for obvious reasons). However as taste is aided by dissolved Ions e.g. salt then I figure bicarb will bring the TDS up, it can't do any harm and can only help with taste/extraction, if indeed it is an issue. On pure RO I add enough to bring the TDS to about 70 ish.

The Osmio with it's mineral cartridge averages around 40-50 TDS and pH seems to stabilise at 6.5-6.7, so it's pretty good already. I'll have a better recommendation later today as I finish testing and the sterilisation procedure. the main objective I always have is to add the minimum back for machine safety and to ensure a close to neutral pH. So much has been made about taste and mineral composition but no proper double blind structured tests have ever been performed to my knowledge and they would be very difficult to conduct. The things I know for a fact is, Tap water doesn't taste good and isn't helping the machine or the taste of the coffee. Less is more with water in my opinion. In this way you get the widest hit you can on coffee flavour...because otherwise you get into this coffee tastes best with this water and this with another water and this with more magnesium etc.. etc.. a ridiculous situation.

P.S. yes I have read all the "research" over the years and overall find it unsatisfying in helping people do what's best for machine, extraction and taste...but then I'm not trying to make money from fancy water systems.

I'm guessing if you want a pan full of water for example to cook pasta, it's pretty slow to fill with boiling water?