IGNORED

Reverse Osmosis - Osmio Zero review

2 hours ago, DavecUK said:

If people want to make their filters last much longer because they are in a super hard area with liquid chalk for water, they could simply empty and refill the supply pitcher at the 1.5 litre mark....which would make a HUGE difference....albeit at the cost of more water usage

+1 to this.

I learnt from @DavecUK to completely empty the supply pitcher every time, give a quick wash and refill. We typically do not wait for the unit to display the “replace water” sign; We empty and refill when the water is between 1.25 and 1.5 l. 

However, that waste water is never wasted. We use them for plants, cleaning, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Chilledmatt I'm also in Norfolk, and now have an Osmio Zero, so you can base the impacts etc on my figures if you wish. I used to use a Britta jug with genuine cartridges, and also tried a under

When we bring out a new model we will invite existing customers to trade in their Zero which can be reconditioned and given to charity or sold on ebay as grade C ones and I will do my best to bring th

Well some interesting stats from my water bill just landed. In my review of the unit I talked about 20 litres down the drain for every 4 litres of RO water made...this is because of the specific way p

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

However, that waste water is never wasted. We use them for plants, cleaning, etc. 

Exactly....

Nothing here...

16 hours ago, DavecUK said:

The Osmio detects the water tank is empty by a drop in pressure from the pump (because water levels fallen below the inlet)....it gurgles whilst that is going on....as it's not instant, but a times process. It's no problem at all, by design.

The water in the pitcher gets stronger and stronger. as it's recirculated, this is what makes the Osmio much more water efficient than other RO systems, many orders of magnitude and much water not wasted. e.g. start of with 5 litres at 320 ppm (my water in summer) and you end up with 1 litre at 1300+ The membranes have a % rejection rate and so as the water becomes more concentrated, the % TDS of RO water consequently becomes a little higher.

It's why the pitcher must always be completely emptied before refilling and why the filters last, about 1 year for me and less for others..but this is a good thing. If people want to make their filters last much longer because they are in a super hard area with liquid chalk for water, they could simply empty and refill the supply pitcher at the 1.5 litre mark....which would make a HUGE difference....albeit at the cost of more water usage.

Yeap, I didn't say it was not normal. I only wished they had a different sensor for the water level (e.g., magnetic) to avoid the noise. 

Basically I love my osmio zero.

If they ever release a V2 these would be in my wish list:

• Better water level sensor (to cut the pump quicker and avoid unnecessary noise)
  • Two programmable buttons for water dispensing (e.g., time-based water serving). My glasses are 400ml and my water bottle is 1lt. So I wish I could "program" the dispenser to fill those. Many coffee machines and grinders have such programming capabilities, shouldn't be too expensive to implement. I am not talking about adding a fancy screen: just push and hold to program the dispensing button and push again to stop and store the time.
  • Maybe a faster *filtered* water pump to fill our glasses/bottle faster.

Again, I love my Osmio, these are just my suggestions for V2

Edited by Ilias
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ilias said:

Yeap, I didn't say it was not normal. I only wished they had a different sensor for the water level (e.g., magnetic) to avoid the noise. 

Basically I love my osmio zero.

If they ever release a V2 these would be in my wish list:

• Better water level sensor (to cut the pump quicker and avoid unnecessary noise)
  • Two programmable buttons for water dispensing (e.g., time-based water serving). My glasses are 400ml and my water bottle is 1lt. So I wish I could "program" the dispenser to fill those. Many coffee machines and grinders have such programming capabilities, shouldn't be too expensive to implement. I am not talking about adding a fancy screen: just push and hold to program the dispensing button and push again to stop and store the time.
  • Maybe a faster *filtered* water pump to fill our glasses/bottle faster.

Again, I love my Osmio, these are just my suggestions for V2

Thanks for the suggestions, We are planning to make a sediment filter extension tube so people with very hard water can alarm to replace water at about 1.5 to 2 litres remaining, which will help the filter life.

We made a version that had temperature on left buttons, volume dispensing options on the right and a central button but the feedback was there were too many touch buttons and it was more confusing more people. 

If the system is taking longer to go into replace water alarm, it is also a sign that the membrane i nearing end of life and getting blocked. The replace water alarm works on the basis of the PCB sensing loss of flow.

Thanks for the good suggestions, it is appreciated and my aim is to make a version which incorporates a flow through ioniser and a pressure tank so it can dispense hydrogen rich water. We have already done this but couldnt get more than 0.5 mg/l of H2 in it, so there needs to be a way to pressure the water and do electrolysis under pressure.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Mark Osmio said:

If the system is taking longer to go into replace water alarm, it is also a sign that the membrane i nearing end of life and getting blocked. The replace water alarm works on the basis of the PCB sensing loss of flow.

Thanks for the reply!

I think it is more like a negative feedback loop. When the water is near the rim of the first filter some air bubbles start getting in. This air has some volume that replaces water that is then expelled in the external water tank-> water in external tank rises very slightly (less than a mm) ---> loop... So towards the end the water level in the external tank fluctuates slightly up/down (it doesn't just monotonically go down).  

This continues  until enough water passed through the membrane into the internal tank in order to stop this feeback loop. In my case it takes a few minutes. It is not annoying, just a bit more noisy.

Edited by Ilias
2 minutes ago, Ilias said:

I think it is more like a negative feedback loop. When the water is near the rim of the first filter some air bubbles start getting in. This air has some volume that replaces water that is then expelled in the external water tank-> water in external tank rises very slightly (less than a mm) ---> loop... So towards the end the water level in the external tank fluctuates slightly up/down (it doesn't just monotonically go down).  

This continues  until enough water passed through the membrane into the internal tank in order to stop this feeback loop. 

That is exactly what my problem was/is. But If that happens I undo filters and let the air escape then put them back in, it fixes the issue for a while. But it happens eventually again. I learned to live with it. Not a biggie :)

1 hour ago, Ilias said:

Good job they don't as it would be a lot more difficult to make the mod to allow for water liberal and water saving modes!

The current system allows for a simple extension tube on the in  tank filter, which means anyone with an Osmio can retrofit the modification in minutes...and enjoy water liberal mode if they live in an area of liquid chalk....

Nothing here...

4 hours ago, Mark Osmio said:

my aim is to make a version which incorporates a flow through ioniser and a pressure tank so it can dispense hydrogen rich water. We have already done this but couldnt get more than 0.5 mg/l of H2 in it, so there needs to be a way to pressure the water and do electrolysis under pressure.

Hope, you do not come out with an upgraded version  soon, as my new unit is just a week old! 😅

Edited by Like Medium Strong Coffee
10 minutes ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

Hope, you do not come out with an upgraded version, when my new unit is just a week old! 😅

If we started today it would be at least a few years before its out, so you're ok because we aren't starting this. We are working on the next version of the Osmio Infinity and Osmio Sanser 2L at the moment.

1 minute ago, Mark Osmio said:

If we started today it would be at least a few years before its out, so you're ok because we aren't starting this. We are working on the next version of the Osmio Infinity and Osmio Sanser 2L at the moment.

Thank you for saving me from getting shot !!! 😂

Edited by Like Medium Strong Coffee
1 minute ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

Thank you for saving me from getting shot !!! 😂

When we bring out a new model we will invite existing customers to trade in their Zero which can be reconditioned and given to charity or sold on ebay as grade C ones and I will do my best to bring the best offers available to the CFUK members.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Mark Osmio said:

We are planning to make a sediment filter extension tube so people with very hard water can alarm to replace water at about 1.5 to 2 litres remaining, which will help the filter life.

When the water level touches the top of the filter in the pitcher, that’s the time I replace the water, which will be circa 11.5 l. 

Joined the Osmio Zero club today. Next day delivery and excellent service from @Mark Osmio

only just setup, refilled twice and not tasted yet, used the water on plants and washing up. I assume that will be enough to remove any “new taste”, so just about to take my first sip!

just wondering about the refill level and whether I go early rather than wait for the beep? I have TDS and ph meter inbound too so only other thing I have to go on is the Severn Trent water report right now, that says “moderately hard” and 12.56 degrees Clark.

tastes….I don’t know…different yeah, straight out the tap seems fresher in a way but that is more what I am used to, but its quite cold right now which is main difference, I’d describe the filtered water as smooth I think….whatever that means! I need to learn a new language for water now not just my coffee 🤣

• Like 1

I keep a 500ml bottle of water in the fridge, which at the moment is about the same temp as coming out of the tap (ground temp), I'd say that's the better way to do a taste comparison. It will taste different and you'll notice the difference, much as if you were tasting a bottle of some shop-bought stuff and that's because you've grown accustomed to the tap water, like when lockdown hit and there was less traffic on the main road nearby, it seemed odd and it was the lack of the noise which I don't normally notice.

9 hours ago, Sibling Chris said:

Joined the Osmio Zero club today. Next day delivery and excellent service from @Mark Osmio

only just setup, refilled twice and not tasted yet, used the water on plants and washing up. I assume that will be enough to remove any “new taste”, so just about to take my first sip!

just wondering about the refill level and whether I go early rather than wait for the beep? I have TDS and ph meter inbound too so only other thing I have to go on is the Severn Trent water report right now, that says “moderately hard” and 12.56 degrees Clark.

tastes….I don’t know…different yeah, straight out the tap seems fresher in a way but that is more what I am used to, but its quite cold right now which is main difference, I’d describe the filtered water as smooth I think….whatever that means! I need to learn a new language for water now not just my coffee 🤣

Well done! Welcome to the club!!!

As @DavecUK mentioned, most of the time, we refill (after removing the waste water for other purposes and giving it a quick rinse) when the water is just on top of the pitcher filter. 

You may grab a GH/KH drop kit, if you want to know the hardness levels. 

3 minutes ago, Sibling Chris said:

In terms of looking at the OZ water output and balance for use in espresso machine (which is the main purpose) are TDS and ph not sufficient indicators.

if the issue is corrosion, then the most important parameter to get right is the ORP, but if the pH is acidic and the ORP is positive, then there will be corrosion, but if the ORP is negative and the pH is acidic, it doesn't corrode anywhere near as quickly.

So meters arrived, 

TDS out of the tap wasn’t as high as I expected to be honest 149, and then from the Osmio 34

pH, well not sure I trust the meter so need to get a bottle of distilled and calibrate. From the tap it was reading about 6.4 and from the Osmio then about 8.1 …..hmmmm….

Won’t worry about it until calibrated I think. Not sure to be honest if it is 8 ph whether that’s to be expected or anything to worry about. Used the water in my filter coffee today and I wouldn’t say it tasted odd in  any way, new espresso machine has also arrived but not unboxed yet…job for the weekend!