IGNORED

Reverse Osmosis - Osmio Zero review

Just remind me, when you go to hospital due to de-hydration, wha exactly do they do to you? Give you a glass and jug and say drink or connect you up to a drip? Sports people can become de-hydrated simply down to exercise, but an older person who is not in training for the Olympics can still become de-hydrated whilst in their house.....are both cases the same? 

The advantage of being a Silver member....

Follow me on Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/dfkidd

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Chilledmatt I'm also in Norfolk, and now have an Osmio Zero, so you can base the impacts etc on my figures if you wish. I used to use a Britta jug with genuine cartridges, and also tried a under

When we bring out a new model we will invite existing customers to trade in their Zero which can be reconditioned and given to charity or sold on ebay as grade C ones and I will do my best to bring th

Well some interesting stats from my water bill just landed. In my review of the unit I talked about 20 litres down the drain for every 4 litres of RO water made...this is because of the specific way p

Posted Images

@dfk41 I'm not sure where you're getting there. What do you think the IV fluids they use in the hospital are? Because as far as I know it will be your regular saline solution or very similar. Which is *drum roll* water with NaCL added.

Also hospitalisation for dehydration is rather extreme. Mild dehydration that doesn't require medical attention is, boringly, just "treated" with water.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dehydration/

Not sure if NHS is considered legit though, your call. /s

52 minutes ago, TomHughes said:

RO is great for protecting our machines from scale. But let’s not try and re-invent water shall we. 

Something I completely agree on...and what I tried to cover in the review. It's a personal choice if someone wants to drink it or not and whether you want all the other stuff that comes with H2O from the tap or a bottle etc..

It protects my machines, I don't often get problems and none of them scale related...the coffee tastes great and that's all I care about.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

Nothing here...

I'd go a bit further than the argument about protecting espresso machines from scale. Water composition affects taste as well, and for me, low ppm water tastes better than high ppm water for coffee (and I know that the breakdown of minerals in the water has an influence too, but I can't be bothered faffing around with pure RO and concentrates...).

25 minutes ago, olivier said:

I'd go a bit further than the argument about protecting espresso machines from scale. Water composition affects taste as well, and for me, low ppm water tastes better than high ppm water for coffee (and I know that the breakdown of minerals in the water has an influence too, but I can't be bothered faffing around with pure RO and concentrates...).

I certainly get more zing in my V60 from the RO water. 

Sure, taste should be paramount.

For me it's the opposite. I recently cupped the same beans with 5 different waters: Peak water, Third Wave Water, Barista Hustle recipe, Pavlis recipe and 0 ppm water (all except Peak had starting water filtered by ZeroWater).

My parter and I had different "winners" (for me it war TWW, she liked the Pavlis recipe more), but we agreed that the 0ppm water war just wrong.

Concentrates are a bit of a faff, though, but for the sake of my espresso machine it's a small price to pay compared to servicing it in the future.

Totally agree 

Ive recently got a new machine, initially going ashbeck or longhill, settled on the palvis recipe 

One its great for the machine and two it tastes good 

Way too early for this sh...

On 03/02/2021 at 15:11, dfk41 said:

Just remind me, when you go to hospital due to de-hydration, wha exactly do they do to you? Give you a glass and jug and say drink or connect you up to a drip? Sports people can become de-hydrated simply down to exercise, but an older person who is not in training for the Olympics can still become de-hydrated whilst in their house.....are both cases the same? 

If you’re admitted to hospital due to dehydration it’s gone beyond the ‘drink a glass of water’ stage. Most adults admitted with dehydration are dehydrated due to something else, and their dehydration is usually discovered whilst treating them for whatever else they’ve come in with.

tl,dr: you’ll get a drip

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, gilesw said:

I've read that it's dangerous to drink RO water because of the minerals it removes. Do you just use it for putting water in your coffee machines?

The Osmio Zero uses reverse osmosis but also a remineralisation filter to act as a buffer and also to lower to ORP of the water. So when they refer to RO water on the internet, then it's not actually the same as RO with DI like is used in labs, schools, hospitals and recon rooms.

Osmio has a remineralisation cartridge fitted as well as the RO filters to put back those minerals the human body can absorb. I drink it regularly. IMO,  it has a wonderfully clean taste free of any hint of taint. 

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

12 minutes ago, gilesw said:

I've read that it's dangerous to drink RO water because of the minerals it removes. Do you just use it for putting water in your coffee machines?

I use it for all my drinking water, but of course, my diet contains far more minerals than my body needs....without requiring any supplements. You could always consult your GP if you are concerned about your own specific situation and the important minerals in your water..something I can't advise you on.

I use a Flouride toothpaste in the way advised by my dentist, so no worries for me there either.

Nothing here...

1 minute ago, DavecUK said:

I use it for all my drinking water, but of course, my diet contains far more minerals than my body needs....without requiring any supplements. You could always consult your GP if you are concerned about your own specific situation and the important minerals in your water..something I can't advise you on.

I use a Flouride toothpaste in the way advised by my dentist, so no worries for me there either.

Here a video I did about the remineralisation for some more info: 

My first impression is “Awesome”. The best part is we do not have to warm up or boil the water anymore! Although I am used to drinking the sodiumized softened water, I thought the water from OZ left a little bit of sweet taste on my tongue. My wife could not differentiate the taste. I think, it will take us a while for us to really start appreciating and noticing the difference in taste. Thanks to those who helped with useful inputs.

274D2CF9-C623-44EE-9455-FEB52B530230.jpeg

Edited by Like Medium Strong Coffee
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

My first impression is “Awesome”. The best part is we do not have to warm up or boil the water anymore! Although I am used to drinking the sodiumized softened water, I thought the water from OZ left a little bit of sweet taste on my tongue. My wife could not differentiate the taste. I think, it will take us a while for us to really start appreciating and noticing the difference in taste. Thanks to those who helped with useful inputs.

274D2CF9-C623-44EE-9455-FEB52B530230.jpeg

I've recieved mine today too, absolutly loving it, the taste is great and not only in coffee😄 Due to illness I'm not drinking much coffee lately (typical, just after I got new machine), but the less coffee I drink the more pure water I need. Still, looking forward to use the water in Lizzy, eventually😒

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, L2en said:

I've recieved mine today too, absolutly loving it, the taste is great and not only in coffee😄 Due to illness I'm not drinking much coffee lately (typical, just after I got new machine), but the less coffee I drink the more pure water I need. Still, looking forward to use the water in Lizzy, eventually😒

Pleased😎

Get well soon!

• Like 1

1) What’s the ideal level to test the GH and KH on OZ please? After reading thru’ the threads on this forum, I know the TDS level may vary. Does it matter if the water level in the pitcher is 5L, 3.5-4.0 L or 1.5 L? 

2) Do we need to get all the water out, every time, from the internal water tank before dumping the last 1L, wash the pitcher and fill up with fresh 5L of water? I do not think this is required. 

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

1) What’s the ideal level to test the GH and KH on OZ please? After reading thru’ the threads on this forum, I know the TDS level may vary. Does it matter if the water level in the pitcher is 5L, 3.5-4.0 L or 1.5 L? 

2) Do we need to get all the water out, every time, from the internal water tank before dumping the last 1L, wash the pitcher and fill up with fresh 5L of water? I do not think this is required. 

Thanks! 

1. TDS is fine, it varies because of minor reminerelisation variances for long and short water draw patterns. Also % rejection variance as TDS concentration increases in the supply pitcher.

2. No, but you must always empty the supply pitcher completely before refilling and don't ever top it off.

I sanitise, wash my supply pitcher weekly.

• Thanks 1

Nothing here...