DavecUK

Reverse Osmosis - Osmio Zero review

K

Thanks Dave. Always enjoy your videos & reviews, even though they end up costing me a fortune ;)

So far, a Vesuvius, a Niche grinder and, soon no doubt, an Osmio. Can't blame you for the recent purchase of a set of second-hand Acaia Lunar scales however.

Good luck with your wife's car and stay well.

hey, I work in Leamington so if you want to look into ordering two Osmio units and saving a few quid I might be in..

K

hey, I work in Leamington so if you want to look into ordering two Osmio units and saving a few quid I might be in..

@Rom

Don't forget that you can email / text / WhatsApp Osmio and let them know that you are a CFUK member and they will gift a set of 4 filters without the need for you to have a purchase buddy.

You would need to check with Osmio but I suspect that the gift and the double purchase deal are mutually exclusive so double purchase is not worth the effort.

My machine and free filters arrived today. Superbly packaged and a very neat bit of kit. I'm still doing the initial filter flush but it promises to be the business.

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

@Rom

Don't forget that you can email / text / WhatsApp Osmio and let them know that you are a CFUK member and they will gift a set of 4 filters without the need for you to have a purchase buddy.

You would need to check with Osmio but I suspect that the gift and the double purchase deal are mutually exclusive so double purchase is not worth the effort.

My machine and free filters arrived today. Superbly packaged and a very neat bit of kit. I'm still doing the initial filter flush but it promises to be the business.

Did you go for matt Black or White?

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

@Rom

Given as the "refer a friend" offer on their website is a free set of filters each, the efficient thing to do would be to form a queue with each person referring the next. That way everyone gets two free sets of filters.

Did you go for matt Black or White?

Black!

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

Given as the "refer a friend" offer on their website is a free set of filters each, the efficient thing to do would be to form a queue with each person referring the next. That way everyone gets two free sets of filters.

Unless of course, you happen to be first or last in the queue. It would surprise me if Osmio would allow you benefit from both ends of that offer but who knows.... other than Osmio of course.

@Rom

@Snakehips

i completely missed the fact that one can do this..

i will contact them shortly.

thanks

I did point out to Osmio that forum members would get together to get discounts, so it would be easier to simply give them a discount as a single purchaser if they were from the forum (any coffee forum really) and mentioned it. Obviously they can't do forum deals because they are not an advertiser. it also allows them to see how popular it is for the coffee market and perhaps we will see any improvements/product development over time with us in mind as well.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

This little machine has certainly piqued my interest. Does anybody have any details on the re-mineralization component? They say 10-20ppm Calcium/Magnesium is added through the mineral filter, does it add anything else such as buffer? I'd be really interested to see if anybody has titrated/paper tested to see what is going on in terms of GH:KH.

I'm currently using jug filters (zerowater+bwt) and by my reckoning the break-even point would be after 30 months assuming a full filter change every 3 months to account for the horrible scummy London water eating through the filters. Seems pretty reasonable.

(If we're requesting stuff I'd love a version without the water heating/boiling element - I have no desire to replace my temp control gooseneck kettle. Room temp is fine, a chilled option would be even better for drinking water)

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero

This little machine has certainly piqued my interest. Does anybody have any details on the re-mineralization component? They say 10-20ppm Calcium/Magnesium is added through the mineral filter, does it add anything else such as buffer? I'd be really interested to see if anybody has titrated/paper tested to see what is going on in terms of GH:KH.

I'm currently using jug filters (zerowater+bwt) and by my reckoning the break-even point would be after 30 months assuming a full filter change every 3 months to account for the horrible scummy London water eating through the filters. Seems pretty reasonable.

(If we're requesting stuff I'd love a version without the water heating/boiling element - I have no desire to replace my temp control gooseneck kettle. Room temp is fine, a chilled option would be even better for drinking water)

It imparts 30-60ppm depending on flow rate and whether the water is drawn in small amounts with standing in between. pH I have tested and it can drop to around 6.5 after many hours. The Caclium Mg acts as a buffer to prevent pH going to low, antibac and remineralisation for supposedly taste and marketing purposes. I am doing a mini review addition just for coffee nerds as I do the 48 hours pH testing schedule and remineralisation, remineralisation with bicarb and no remineralisation (blank cartridge) with bicarb. Ostensibly to get the right amount of bicarb to add in each case. This will go hand in hand with TDS readings. These tests I have scheduled for the weekend.

I will also be doing a sterilisation guide, but that's not so pressing as no one will need to sterilise for months/years. it will also be my take on sterility, rather than whatever marketing people might want to believe about RO systems.

My view at the moment with limited testing, is the remineralisation will probably be enough without bicarb. Descaling shouldn't be necessary at that level, if it is it might be a once every 6-10 year task. Remember always that a pH of 6.4 or 6.5 is no more acidic than milk....so not really going to harm your machine.

Oh theres no way you will need a full filter change every 3 months...that's excessive. Even if you find the Membrane blocks faster and you get the change filter lights, you would only need to change the membrane and they can be purchased in packs of 2 for 43 ish....so about £22 each

P.S. I expect @Snakehips is already using his and waiting for the "new machine" taste to disappear.

It imparts 30-60ppm depending on flow rate and whether the water is drawn in small amounts with standing in between. pH I have tested and it can drop to around 6.5 after many hours. The Caclium Mg acts as a buffer to prevent pH going to low, antibac and remineralisation for supposedly taste and marketing purposes. I am doing a mini review addition just for coffee nerds as I do the 48 hours pH testing schedule and remineralisation, remineralisation with bicarb and no remineralisation (blank cartridge) with bicarb. Ostensibly to get the right amount of bicarb to add in each case. This will go hand in hand with TDS readings. These tests I have scheduled for the weekend.

I will also be doing a sterilisation guide, but that's not so pressing as no one will need to sterilise for months/years. it will also be my take on sterility, rather than whatever marketing people might want to believe about RO systems.

My view at the moment with limited testing, is the remineralisation will probably be enough without bicarb. Descaling shouldn't be necessary at that level, if it is it might be a once every 6-10 year task. Remember always that a pH of 6.4 or 6.5 is no more acidic than milk....so not really going to harm your machine.

Oh theres no way you will need a full filter change every 3 months...that's excessive. Even if you find the Membrane blocks faster and you get the change filter lights, you would only need to change the membrane and they can be purchased in packs of 2 for 43 ish....so about £22 each

P.S. I expect @Snakehips is already using his and waiting for the "new machine" taste to disappear.

Thanks, that's helpful. I will look forward to the coffee nerd review.

And the 3 month thing was me doing a "worst case" analysis (my job involves computing worst case scenarios so it's a force of habit), if it passes that test I can be pleasantly surprised at the real world run costs. With jug filters I get about half the manufacturer recommended life hence why I picked 3 months for the worst case test. (My best-estimate case came at about 18 months break even time)

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero

It's a neat unit indeed

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Please delete - double post

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Thank you for the review Dave, very informative and it seems like a really well executed unit. You spoke about sustainability issues in the review and how this ticked some boxes in that regard for you. Do the sellers offer any kind of take back scheme on the filters do you know, or did you discuss if they have any intentions to offer such? Even if the filter change is every 6 months I’m guessing they all have to go into the standard waste steam for landfill / incineration.

Rocket R58, Bottomless portafilter, VST 18g basket, Niche Zero, Joey tamper (58.4)

Thank you for the review Dave, very informative and it seems like a really well executed unit. You spoke about sustainability issues in the review and how this ticked some boxes in that regard for you. Do the sellers offer any kind of take back scheme on the filters do you know, or did you discuss if they have any intentions to offer such? Even if the filter change is every 6 months I’m guessing they all have to go into the standard waste steam for landfill / incineration.

I don't believe the retailer does, but I checked my own community recycling centre and they take water filters (non specific), so I will take my spent cartridges there for recycling. If I find out they won't take it and want it in landfill waste, then it's still less than plastic bottles and saves 30000 litres of fresh water being wasted. So as long as it's better than before, it's good. i will update in 6 months time.

If the council recycling schemes take the filters that’s great. I’ll check with my own. Thanks.

Rocket R58, Bottomless portafilter, VST 18g basket, Niche Zero, Joey tamper (58.4)

Thank you as well Dave for the in depth review. I’m new to the forum but have been reading posts off and on for years.

So I bought one off the back of this review and it arrived yesterday! We live in London now and the water needs help for sure. Bottles are heavy and expensive and wasteful, Brita doesn’t change TDS all that much and tap water is not tasty here. I’ve been looking for years for an effective solution and I think I’ve finally found it! BTW I received the extra filters from the referral of this forum.

Really appreciate your time and effort, Dave, and the detailed review is very helpful indeed. I have a couple of questions too.

You say at worst, the RO Membrane filters will need changing only depending on water hardness in the owners area, the water hardness in my area according to the Thames Water website is 239ppm. Do we have an estimate for how frequent the Membrane changes would be given a certain level of hardness?

We have a soft water system in our house and use salt blocks. If I was to use the soft water would that be more beneficial than the hard water given the added salt content?

Also, how often would it be required for the Carbon filter to be replaced?

I’m also particularly looking forward to your findings in regards to using the remineralisation cartridge or not.

My main reason for a purchase is to use with my coffee machine. Currently I use Lockhills from Waitrose and this Osmio seems like a near perfect solution to reduce waste and help the environment. Not to mention the possible health benefits.

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

Really appreciate your time and effort, Dave, and the detailed review is very helpful indeed. I have a couple of questions too.

1. You say at worst, the RO Membrane filters will need changing only depending on water hardness in the owners area, the water hardness in my area according to the Thames Water website is 239ppm. Do we have an estimate for how frequent the Membrane changes would be given a certain level of hardness?

2. We have a soft water system in our house and use salt blocks. If I was to use the soft water would that be more beneficial than the hard water given the added salt content?

3. Also, how often would it be required for the Carbon filter to be replaced?

I’m also particularly looking forward to your findings in regards to using the remineralisation cartridge or not.

4. My main reason for a purchase is to use with my coffee machine. Currently I use Lockhills from Waitrose and this Osmio seems like a near perfect solution to reduce waste and help the environment. Not to mention the possible health benefits.

1. Osmio recommends changing all the filters when the maintenance light comes on, but of course it's generic advice. They say about 6 monthly to change all the filters..again generic. They cannot know how much water you will pull from the system, which of course logically directly affects filter life. I am using around 20 litres of RO per day, perhaps at a very high usage my RO membrane will not last as long and I might have to change just that more often. Thos cost about 22 per RO membrane bought as packs of 2. Does this matter, not of course not the benefits scale proportionally to use as do the costs. It all nets out in the end. In a review I always have to be very careful to stick within manufacturers recommended usage, otherwise a review is invalid.

However this answer isn't a review, it's now my opinion after 15 years experience with RO systems. When you look at the filters, they will have a life stated. The sediment/crap filter 1 is the exception, but I would guess you would potentially get longer than 6 months, as long as you leave it in whilst sterilising. Fair to say it gets the initial exposure to untreated water.

Filter 2 the carbon, chlorine removal etc.. that states on it a 1 year life, but this is more a time expiry thing regardless of usage. Use it loads and it might be good for 6-7 months, perhaps longer, use it lightly and you will probably get a year.

Filter 3 is the membrane, this again is a standard style RO membrane inside that will normally filter for 2 years, but because of the recirculation of the Osmio has a much shorter life, that is monitored by flow rate and when it drops below a predetermined level, The Osmio Zero says time to replace. And it is, because you don't want to put the pump under strain and long periods of runtime.

Filter 4 is remineralisation and will last directly proportional to the amount of water through it...so definitely 6 months but probably longer....as the TDS gradually drops away as the thing simple "wears out"

So if you were finding that for whatever reason your RO membranes needed changing every 3 months (just an example for easy math), then you would change the membrane only and at 6 months when it says maintenance again change all the filters. However, if you are a lighter user than me, you might opt just to change the membrane again...and at 9 months change them all. BUT You risk more system cleanliness issues, possibly a negative impact on filtration performance and if the chlorine pre filter needed changing, reducing membrane life. So if I found the maintenance light was illuminating every 4 months. I would personally probably change just the membrane and stretch the all 4 filter changes to every 8 months...but that's me and if you do it, do it when it's out of warranty. However, I would NOT see the need to change all 4 filters more often than 6 months if the maintenance light came on after 3 months, just change the membrane and change the other 3 at the 6 month stage. I know it's clear as mud, but if you stop and think hard, you will see why the answer has to be like this. My mate for example, had the free filter set, but also bought himself a membrane only 2 pack. Honestly though if the maintenance reminder comes on at 6 months...just easier to change all 4 and know it's all good......

I will probably do the same if I find performance starts to drop off early (don't know if it will) because I have high TDS, I might also pop in a new membrane for £22 My TDS is 230 in winter and close to 300 in summer. I soften my water so the outgoing TDS from the softener registers higher about 280, because of the conductivity difference with sodium carbonate.

2. I also have a block salt Harveys softener and absolutely send the softened water to the Osmio, RO systems much prefer to work on softened water, you get better membrane life and performance for a given hardness.

3. Covered above, it states 1 year on the filter, but how longs a bit of string, how much do you value a sterile system

4. Totally agree, although as far as health benefits, my view has to be tap water is totally safe to drink, unless there is some problem with it. Unfortunately I also believe if there is a problem, we will be the last to know and that certain compounds are perhaps not tested for, or have more effects than we know...it's a guess. I just feel happier drinking RO water from a clean system that I can sterilise easily when I feel the need.

Just looked up Lockhills it's £1.47 for 8 litres. Assuming you alone use about 2 litres per day that's almost £3 per week on water. So Counter-Top RO does make sense from a waste perspective, convenience and to be honest isn't too bad on the cost side..

Edited by DavecUK

@DavecUK Correct!

We did put three tanks through it before we tasted it. There was still a 'new' taste to it.

Yesterday, the taste was only really noticeable in the heated water but, it was sufficiently strong to make us wonder if it was going to be acceptable to us.

As of today, all is fine and the water appears to be tasteless at all temperatures.

I have not yet used it for the coffee machine as I have some bottled water to use up.

The Osmio Zero is now out of stock.

I still have about 1-2months work of my regular filters to use but am likely to take the plunge once those are depleted (assuming they're back in stock by then).

1. Osmio recommends changing all the filters when the maintenance light comes on, but of course it's generic advice. They say about 6 monthly to change all the filters..again generic. They cannot know how much water you will pull from the system, which of course logically directly affects filter life. I am using around 20 litres of RO per day, perhaps at a very high usage my RO membrane will not last as long and I might have to change just that more often. Thos cost about 22 per RO membrane bought as packs of 2. Does this matter, not of course not the benefits scale proportionally to use as do the costs. It all nets out in the end. In a review I always have to be very careful to stick within manufacturers recommended usage, otherwise a review is invalid.

However this answer isn't a review, it's now my opinion after 15 years experience with RO systems. When you look at the filters, they will have a life stated. The sediment/crap filter 1 is the exception, but I would guess you would potentially get longer than 6 months, as long as you leave it in whilst sterilising. Fair to say it gets the initial exposure to untreated water.

Filter 2 the carbon, chlorine removal etc.. that states on it a 1 year life, but this is more a time expiry thing regardless of usage. Use it loads and it might be good for 6-7 months, perhaps longer, use it lightly and you will probably get a year.

Filter 3 is the membrane, this again is a standard style RO membrane inside that will normally filter for 2 years, but because of the recirculation of the Osmio has a much shorter life, that is monitored by flow rate and when it drops below a predetermined level, The Osmio Zero says time to replace. And it is, because you don't want to put the pump under strain and long periods of runtime.

Filter 4 is remineralisation and will last directly proportional to the amount of water through it...so definitely 6 months but probably longer....as the TDS gradually drops away as the thing simple "wears out"

So if you were finding that for whatever reason your RO membranes needed changing every 3 months (just an example for easy math), then you would change the membrane only and at 6 months when it says maintenance again change all the filters. However, if you are a lighter user than me, you might opt just to change the membrane again...and at 9 months change them all. BUT You risk more system cleanliness issues, possibly a negative impact on filtration performance and if the chlorine pre filter needed changing, reducing membrane life. So if I found the maintenance light was illuminating every 4 months. I would personally probably change just the membrane and stretch the all 4 filter changes to every 8 months...but that's me and if you do it, do it when it's out of warranty. However, I would NOT see the need to change all 4 filters more often than 6 months if the maintenance light came on after 3 months, just change the membrane and change the other 3 at the 6 month stage. I know it's clear as mud, but if you stop and think hard, you will see why the answer has to be like this. My mate for example, had the free filter set, but also bought himself a membrane only 2 pack. Honestly though if the maintenance reminder comes on at 6 months...just easier to change all 4 and know it's all good......

I will probably do the same if I find performance starts to drop off early (don't know if it will) because I have high TDS, I might also pop in a new membrane for £22 My TDS is 230 in winter and close to 300 in summer. I soften my water so the outgoing TDS from the softener registers higher about 280, because of the conductivity difference with sodium carbonate.

2. I also have a block salt Harveys softener and absolutely send the softened water to the Osmio, RO systems much prefer to work on softened water, you get better membrane life and performance for a given hardness.

3. Covered above, it states 1 year on the filter, but how longs a bit of string, how much do you value a sterile system

4. Totally agree, although as far as health benefits, my view has to be tap water is totally safe to drink, unless there is some problem with it. Unfortunately I also believe if there is a problem, we will be the last to know and that certain compounds are perhaps not tested for, or have more effects than we know...it's a guess. I just feel happier drinking RO water from a clean system that I can sterilise easily when I feel the need.

Just looked up Lockhills it's £1.47 for 8 litres. Assuming you alone use about 2 litres per day that's almost £3 per week on water. So Counter-Top RO does make sense from a waste perspective, convenience and to be honest isn't too bad on the cost side..

Thanks for the reply, Dave. I’ll be ordering one very soon. Well... as soon as they are back in stock.

I’m assuming people are just ordering by themselves and getting the extra filter pack (RO & Carbon) thrown in?

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

Thanks for the reply, Dave. I’ll be ordering one very soon. Well... as soon as they are back in stock.

I’m assuming people are just ordering by themselves and getting the extra filter pack (RO & Carbon) thrown in?

They show in stock on their website, is that an error and when you call they have no stock?

They show in stock on their website, is that an error and when you call they have no stock?

No I haven’t called. I was going by Power Freak’s comment above that they are out of stock.

No I haven’t called. I was going by Power Freak’s comment above that they are out of stock.

Well perhaps they are, my reviews must be powerful stuff and out less than 24 hours. ;) If true, then "bummer" and glad I got mine.