DavecUK

Reverse Osmosis - Osmio Zero review

@Chilledmatt I'm also in Norfolk, and now have an Osmio Zero, so you can base the impacts etc on my figures if you wish.

I used to use a Britta jug with genuine cartridges, and also tried a under-the-sink filter system that claimed to be more effective than Britta. From use of the Osmio it seems we are drinking c7litres of water per day, so I'm assuming that's roughly the same usage for when I had a Britta jug. That Britta was claimed to be good for 28 days, yet I knew that the first week the kettle would stay limescale-free, week two it would visibly cloud the base of the kettle, by week three to four it was almost the same as out of the tap. The under-the-sink option didn't seem as good and I tried a couple of options but not BWT.

If I had a normal plumbed-in RO system I guess that 21l of water would be sent to the drain  (I think it's something like- use 4l to produce 1l with 3l sent to waste) but perhaps that would be worse for my water is "aggressively hard" where your water is better than mine. With the Osmio, I'm getting the replenish notice at c 1.5l left in the tank which must be based on the concentration of nasties not the level of water. So for me a plumbed-in system would seemingly use 28l/day vs the 10l/day of the Osmio Zero, 18l/day worse than Osmio Zero, your figures may not be as bad as mine given the water quality. 18l x365 days an additional 6600l of water down the drain per year , actually not even the 7l/day goes down the drain as I tend to water the pot plants outside or put it in the water butt ready for doing that. So a plumbed-in system would not be great for the environment based on that, and at c£10/1000 litres (I think it;s actually £5 for the water and £5 for the waste handling per 1000 litres) I make it to mean a plumbed-in system would be costing an extra £60 per year in water, which effectively pays for the extra filter change per year (6 months on  the Zero, vs 12months on the plumbed-in Osmio change cycle using pretty much the same filter set). 

Ashbeck water @ £1.10 for 5l, would be roughly £1.50 per day for me,  c£550 per year,  so the additional cost of tap water, filters and purchase of the Osmio Zero, all covered by teh cost of Tesco water, let alone the environmental impact of 500x single use plastic bottles being made and transported.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, ChilledMatt said:

I was under the impression built in systems waste massive quantities of water.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

RO systems are notorious for it and it's one of the reasons I don't think they suit domestic installation.

However you do it, moving from bulk hard water to soft water isn't going to be easy. (Which is why, for a coffee machine a filter jug and descaling regime seems a better option to me)

1 hour ago, Blue_Cafe said:

Not sure of why you are being aggressive.

I read all posts with interest and answer genuinely.

I'm not and I'm not suggesting for a minute that your answers are duplicitous...just unknowingly incorrect..

Reviews: https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ YouTube channel: https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl

I do this as a hobby, I'm not in business and receive no payment for my work a full disclosure is, and always has been, on my review and YouTube sites. Oh, I agree with @dfk41 quite often...well sometimes.

8 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I'm not and I'm not suggesting for a minute that your answers are duplicitous...just unknowingly incorrect..

I'm cool with that.

Every day is a school day :)

3 hours ago, Northern_Monkey said:

@Blue_Cafe - Wish it was good enough, I descale my Mara every 6 months and it is always a pain. I have used jug and in tank filters, it helps but still causes a lot of build up and it’s a faff with the litres and litres of rinsing needed to fully flush the HX boiler via the HW tap. The whole descaling procedure isn’t great for your machine longevity either.

I will be getting an under sink BWT v sized filter fitted very soon, from theirs specs and my water hardness each one should hopefully last a year. Really crossing my fingers it moves the descaling interval to 12 or even 24 months. 🤞

I would have gotten an Osmio if we had a bigger kitchen, but couldn’t justify it since acquiring a massive grinder and coffee machine which is big by “non-enthusiast” standards.

I am in the same position not enough room for the Osmio so I put in the BWT system under the sink about 3 months ago It only feeds my hot water tap and a tap to draw off water for my Mara although I have not used it yet for the Mara  as I had loads of bottled water

We are using 17 ltrs per day as the boiling water tap also supplies the hot water for the kitchen.  

My water in Yorkshire is around 22 degrees hardness from memory and the filter on day one reduced this to 3.   BWT estimated the filter would go 800 Ltrs and testing at at that point the hardness had increased to 5 so I’m still using it

Overall I’m delighted with the system.  I bought a kit from eBay comprising of the filter (think it’s the V) ,the  flow meter and head for £99.  Badged as AEG   The only difference I can tell is the head does not have the adjustable bypass but given my water hardness it did not matter

@AndyDClements thanks that's really helpful.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

My Brother & Sister in Law dropped by yesterday, had a cup of tea. My brother commented that the improvement in taste of the tea was noticeable. I'll take that to mean he approves of the Osmio.

• Like 1

Well some interesting stats from my water bill just landed. In my review of the unit I talked about 20 litres down the drain for every 4 litres of RO water made...this is because of the specific way pumped under counter systems with a storage tank work. We use as a family of 5 from 16 to 20 litres of RO water per day. The evidence is here as our usage is quite consistent dark green is the same period in 2019, light green is this year. The difference is approximately 3200 litres per month. Most of that because the Osmio Zero replaced my under counter tanked unit at the beginning of January. The saving is slightly more than £80 per year. which is good value just for changing the system.

image.png.2fe998da5560f087b9962e9528ae5980.png

With the filters lasting me a year and the savings more than covering the cost of filters, it makes me happy to think all that clean water isn't being wasted by going down the drain. I used to buy a new under counter unit every 3 years (plus membranes and filters on an ongoing basis), so overall for me the TCO (based on the Zero lasting 5 years) would be fairly neutral. It might cost a little more overall perhaps but there is a lot of convenience there.

• Like 5

Reviews: https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ YouTube channel: https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl

I do this as a hobby, I'm not in business and receive no payment for my work a full disclosure is, and always has been, on my review and YouTube sites. Oh, I agree with @dfk41 quite often...well sometimes.

Thanks for taking the time to do this write up Dave, and following up - Love a good bar chart 😁

I've just bought my first home and have been looking into water systems, and this may just be the answer!!

I noticed that Osmio also have a Fusion version which plugs into main water supply, I emailed them to check if it was possible to capture the waste water, as your article has highlighted just how much the other systems dispose of, they said it was possible, probably not the neatest set up, but I'm considering it as a half way for convenience (being lazy and not having to top up the tank, also if i have other people using it they won't have to deal with changing out the tank).

Still deciding.. anyway thank you again for your reporting, you have opened a blackhole for me though as now I am also interested in their vit c shower🙈.... will search for other posts in the non-coffee section to see if anyone has reviewed it.

15 minutes ago, slammy said:

Thanks for taking the time to do this write up Dave, and following up - Love a good bar chart 😁

I've just bought my first home and have been looking into water systems, and this may just be the answer!!

I noticed that Osmio also have a Fusion version which plugs into main water supply, I emailed them to check if it was possible to capture the waste water, as your article has highlighted just how much the other systems dispose of, they said it was possible, probably not the neatest set up, but I'm considering it as a half way for convenience (being lazy and not having to top up the tank, also if i have other people using it they won't have to deal with changing out the tank).

Still deciding.. anyway thank you again for your reporting, you have opened a blackhole for me though as now I am also interested in their vit c shower🙈.... will search for other posts in the non-coffee section to see if anyone has reviewed it.

I would really recommend the counter top version, filling the tank is no biggie, even my daughter can do it, she can't turn a light off, but filling the tank....no problem. As long as the Osmio has been completely emptied and absolutely will not produce any water. The beeping long before that happens, she can and does totally ignore.  ;)

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

I would really recommend the counter top version, filling the tank is no biggie, even my daughter can do it, she can't turn a light off, but filling the tank....no problem. As long as the Osmio has been completely emptied and absolutely will not produce any water. The beeping long before that happens, she can and does totally ignore.  ;)

Hahaha i am indeed like a child!

Is it because, even with being able to store the waste water, the other issue with connection to mains is just that? connecting directly to the pipes i guess gives reduced control of the water quality? Even if it is going through a similar filtering system as the Zero, there will alway be an increase in contamination direct from pipe?

2 minutes ago, slammy said:

Hahaha i am indeed like a child!

Is it because, even with being able to store the waste water, the other issue with connection to mains is just that? connecting directly to the pipes i guess gives reduced control of the water quality? Even if it is going through a similar filtering system as the Zero, there will alway be an increase in contamination direct from pipe?

Not really, it's if you have a problem, you can only leak 5 litres onto the floor.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Not really, it's if you have a problem, you can only leak 5 litres onto the floor.

Ah yes, good point! Ok Zero it is, thanks for your replies :) 

• Like 1