IGNORED

Reverse Osmosis - Osmio Zero review

150 sounds way too high. I'd try somewhere around 40-80 absent of any other information.

Remember that RO water is pretty much free of chlorides/nitrates/etc. so aim to have a TDS lower than your bottled water of choice. (And keep in mind Gardelli recommend a bottled water with tds 50-150)

Tried 85ppm this morning, much better but still mutes too much acidity, so I'll give 40ppm a go.

Incredible how big of a difference this is, remarkable that such a small amount of bicarb has such a massive impact on taste.

T.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Chilledmatt I'm also in Norfolk, and now have an Osmio Zero, so you can base the impacts etc on my figures if you wish. I used to use a Britta jug with genuine cartridges, and also tried a under

When we bring out a new model we will invite existing customers to trade in their Zero which can be reconditioned and given to charity or sold on ebay as grade C ones and I will do my best to bring th

Well some interesting stats from my water bill just landed. In my review of the unit I talked about 20 litres down the drain for every 4 litres of RO water made...this is because of the specific way p

Posted Images

I think so because a set of filters is about £42 ish, dunno for sure, it's worth running the numbers. Ensure any P&P is considered.

Edited by DavecUK

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

The filters are cheaper from Osmio themselves, so it looks like amazon for the main unit and Osmio for the filters ATM.....there goes my commission ;) (joking of course)

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

• 1 month later...

For brewed, straight out the unit it's unusable at least for me, the resulting brew is super acidic. After adding bicarb things improve, but I still get better tasting brews from non Osmio water.

I still use it for drinking water, though still prefer some bottled water makes taste wise. How big of an impact input water has on RO?

T.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Nopapercup said:

Thanks, is there a code you need to put in?

As Jony said just phone them up and mention you are from the coffee forum...they should then do you a deal on filters. Just as an aside, my water is 280 to 300ppm and my filters are still going strong after 5 months, in another 3 weeks I will have reached the 6 month mark and will look to change them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dsc said:

For brewed, straight out the unit it's unusable at least for me, the resulting brew is super acidic. After adding bicarb things improve, but I still get better tasting brews from non Osmio water.

I still use it for drinking water, though still prefer some bottled water makes taste wise. How big of an impact input water has on RO?

T.

I agree different coffee do change it, and sometimes I add bottled water either Ashbeck or Volvic

• Like 2

For me it will be to replace bottled water as we get through a lot. We're in France so bottled water is cheap so I won't be getting my money back as quickly as I would in the UK but I would like to stop drinking out of plastic bottles. 

I mainly make espresso with the very occasional Aeropress so presumably I just need to add a bit of bicarb before putting into the coffee machine?

I'm also trying to cut down on plastic waste, but there's a huge benefit in using bottled water, namely knowing what's actually in it. Adding bicarb to bump water tds is fine, but you still have no idea what's actually in it, which is not great when it comes to coffee imho.

Bicarb additions are tiny, but change things dramatically, there was some suggestions earlier in this thread I think, or the one on Peak Water.

T.

Perhaps, I do brewed and don't have a problem, although I don't use very light roasted coffees.

1 hour ago, dsc said:

I'm also trying to cut down on plastic waste, but there's a huge benefit in using bottled water, namely knowing what's actually in it. Adding bicarb to bump water tds is fine, but you still have no idea what's actually in it, which is not great when it comes to coffee imho.

Bicarb additions are tiny, but change things dramatically, there was some suggestions earlier in this thread I think, or the one on Peak Water.

T.

Hmm so do people who own these or other filters still use bottled water for their coffee machines then?

I guess it depends, I first assumed that it can be used for everything, but imho it doesn't work that well for coffee, so I'm still on bottle or just mix bottle and Osmio. Then again, there's people like Dave who don't see an issue, perhaps Dave's water is different / better and the output from the Osmio brews better coffee? No idea honestly.

T.

• Like 1