DavecUK

Reverse Osmosis - Osmio Zero review

I have a Harvey Twin Tank type, these don't require electric and are the simplest install. The electric ones use more water and salt and are harder to set up right, the install is slightly more involved. The twin tank always gives softened water no matter how much you use and even if the usage patterns are very inconsistent. For 1 person house or just 2 people an electric is cheaper.

If you are good with plumbing DIY is easy enough, but if not sure, a professional install will usually be provided at a fixed price from the supplier of the softener. Companies like this...but be careful of them all overcharging. The other option is to buy direct and use a local plumber.

https://watersoftenersnorfolk.co.uk/why-choose-us/

Just get a few quotes and as a guide price it's probably going to be around £1100 fitted. You also need to make sure the softener is bought from a supplier who realises it has to be set up right for your area (especially the Harvey twin tank type)!

There is a 3rd option and thats the food grade polyphosphate.

https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/acqua-brevetti-minidue-1-2-liquid-water-softener.html

It's much cheaper initially, takes up little space, easy to store and change the bags. £32 refill bag does around 44 cubic metres of water so that could be 15-22 weeks depending on your water usage. More expensive than salt e.g. the same amount of water would cost around £18-20 using salt although there would be more waste water. If I used polyphosphate, I would have 1 unsoftened tap for drinking water (just in case of the regs and reselling house etc..), but actually use polyphosphate softened in the Osmio countertop RO unit for drinking. I don't know whether polyphosphate extends the life of the Osmio Zero filters or not?

Polyphosphate is something I may consider if my Harveys ever goes tits up in the future and it's too expensive to repair....

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Big subject lots of misinformation out there and of course this is the case whenever there is money to be made. However, once you get it right, it's far better than the hassle of living with really hard water.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Don't forget the cost can be offset by the ability to use less deturgent & the life of your washing machine & dishwasher will be greatly increased. It's a bit of an outlay initially, but will more than pay for itself in the long run.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Well ive looked into Polyphosphate  IE  Acqua Brevetti MiniDUE 

The main advantages are cheaper to buy ,you can install it yourself, and easier to maintain with a simple bag swap of fluid and no humping big bags of salt  around and having to store it, plus no need to have a separate drinking tap as there is no salt going into your water system. Plus takes up little room and they dont waste water as they dont need regenerating. 

Disadvantage is because it does not actually soften your water , it only   eliminates limescale  and so you dont get the benefits of  softened water IE  water being softer on your skin .using less washing powder and soaps in general as these seem to lather up more with soft water. But not a huge game changer for me.

I have several fish tanks and softened water going the salt route could also be dangerous to my fish as the PH  can fluctuate to much , where as Polyphosphate as far as i know does not effect PH  . As for prolonging the life of osmio zero , this is the anwser i got from Osmio .

, it would make a difference to the membrane life but not the carbon block life. The first filter that would tend to block is the carbon filter. So when the 4 lights flash, it means the pressure has dropped and to get it working the best thing to do is change the carbon block first. Then if the production goes back to normal, then continue like that. If the lights come on again soon after, it means then you should just change the membrane. All the filters should be every 6 months. The Mindue is for temporary and not permanent hardness, so you will still get scale build up in the Suppl;y Pitcher of the Osmio Zero.

One of the issues with polyphosphate is above 65C I think scale can precipitate out.

On 19/06/2019 at 12:44, Nopapercup said:

Hows everyone finding these, any issues to report or are you all happy with them? Also is there a forum deal on them?

Really happy with mine for drinking water, coffee or tea. 

• Thanks 1

Londinium I / Monolith Conical / Macap MC4 / Gene Cafe Roaster / Cormorant CR600 Roaster

Keep us updated.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I've just picked up an Osmio in white. I was holding off to see if they would do a deal at some point on Amazon. Then on eBay someone put one up for sale with a spare set of filters with a buy it now price of £100. As the filters cost £50 I only saw it as a £50 gamble. I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet but hopefully all will be working. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nopapercup said:

I've just picked up an Osmio in white. I was holding off to see if they would do a deal at some point on Amazon. Then on eBay someone put one up for sale with a spare set of filters with a buy it now price of £100. As the filters cost £50 I only saw it as a £50 gamble. I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet but hopefully all will be working. 

I must be clearly missing something.

Fist someone picks up a minima for £300 and now this....Well done mate!!!

• Thanks 1

Insert witty comment here.

3 hours ago, Nopapercup said:

Bargain and  I think their pretty robust so it should be fine. If not you can fix any problem cheaply enough.

• Thanks 1

😮 absolute bargain - put a couple Milton tablets into the 5 litre water tank for 20 mins too (then discard and rinse of course) and you know the water going in is clean

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

I hate you, they went down low on Amazon £300 and I kept ebaying but nothing so I stopped searching, great find

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

4 hours ago, Jony said:

I hate you, they went down low on Amazon £300 and I kept ebaying but nothing so I stopped searching, great find

i think the amazon thing was an automatic computer algorithm and probably not something Amazon actually desired to happen by design.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulL said:

😮 absolute bargain - put a couple Milton tablets into the 5 litre water tank for 20 mins too (then discard and rinse of course) and you know the water going in is clean

What are Milton tablets?

Thanks everyone, I jumped on it as soon as I saw it. Also worked out as it was collection only in London and I was going up for a few days anyways. 

I was initially a little bit nervous on why he would be selling it but turns out he’s American and just found out he has to move back. 

What are Milton tablets?
Thanks everyone, I jumped on it as soon as I saw it. Also worked out as it was collection only in London and I was going up for a few days anyways. 
I was initially a little bit nervous on why he would be selling it but turns out he’s American and just found out he has to move back. 
Milton are sterilizing tablets marketed towards the baby making industry.
  • Thanks 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

24 minutes ago, ashcroc said:

Milton are sterilizing tablets marketed towards the baby making industry.

I just googled them, I guess it’s only those of us without kids who don’t know what they are. 

Posted (edited)

Or - it's worth nowing baby products as they have their uses. What do you mean you don't have baby powder around, an old roadie trick for getting a tight tyre/inner-tube combination on a wheel rim, particular a turbo trainer tyre. 😊

Actuallt re Milton, part of my checklist I have pinned inside a cupboard is a monthly Mil;ton clean of fridge water tank, -Vesuvius water tank and kitchen jug used to fill both of those in addition to cleaning the Osmio tank. For efficiency you use the same water each time rather than waste more.

Edited by PaulL
  • Thanks 1

On 12/07/2019 at 15:59, PaulL said:

Or - it's worth nowing baby products as they have their uses. What do you mean you don't have baby powder around, an old roadie trick for getting a tight tyre/inner-tube combination on a wheel rim, particular a turbo trainer tyre. 😊

Actuallt re Milton, part of my checklist I have pinned inside a cupboard is a monthly Mil;ton clean of fridge water tank, -Vesuvius water tank and kitchen jug used to fill both of those in addition to cleaning the Osmio tank. For efficiency you use the same water each time rather than waste more.

So do you just throw them in the tank and not throw the water out after?

I meant once you're done you transfer the milton water into the next item(s) you are also sterilising so you don't use more tablets than necessary but, sure, you discard the water afterwards and rinse the items. You get efficient at it though and I only rinse the sides and swirl. It's safe, I just don't want any residual taste.

• Thanks 1

I've just set up the Osmio and it's not working properly. It did the initial filter, I then started emptying the tank but after 3 pushes if the button its gone back into the filtration mode and won't stop. I've reset it, emptied the tank and refilled it but no joy. Is the non stop filtration a sign that the filters need changing? The manual says all 4 lights should be flashing if filters need changing but I only have the cold water and filtration light on. 

When i set mine up it filtered for ages and then eventually   stopped , i cant remember exactly how long it filtered first time but seemed like  it was over an hour or more. 

How long has yours been going for 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, juwelkeeper said:

When i set mine up it filtered for ages and then eventually   stopped , i cant remember exactly how long it filtered first time but seemed like  it was over an hour or more. 

How long has yours been going for 

Ok maybe I'm being a bit hasty, I turned the power off after 10-15 minutes. I'll try again and leave it for a while and see what happens