Kraig89

Rocket machine

I'm going to start saving for a rocket will take couple of month or more crappy minimum wage and 2 kids I've used la pavoni leaver machines over past few year and gaggia classic looking for recommendations will have about £1300 can anyone help me out and anyone local to Sunderland that owns one that I could maybe have a look at

With that budget, you may want to look at the Minima which is a dual boiler and due for release in the next Month or so, and if you search the forum you will find the reviewer as well.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Not local to you but I reciently got an appartamento & love it.

I only drink milk based drinks & this thing is a steaming beast compared to the barist express that I was using before.

straight off I had to swap out the basket for a VST ridgeless as I couldn’t cope with the ridged one that rocket supply. I went for the 20g ridgeless VST & it is perfect. I also drilled the bottom out of one of the Portafilters.

Take into consideration a few of the other ‘bits & pieces’ that you may want when you get the new machine. You can obviously acquire them over time if you can wait.

Considerinng the appartamento is the entry option I’d say you can’t go far wrong with a rocket... if you want to pay a bit more for the PID & insulated boiler go for it but I think that’s going to be out of your budget.

Porfitec pro 500 was another option for me.... but the wife brought me mine as a gift & she likes the look of the rocket more & it’s a bit more compact.... happy wife happy life & all that.

I've been looking at the appartamento but wouldn't mind dual boiler then again I cant drink milk so can only steam almond milk or coconut milk it's not the same

I use Oatley Barista which is good.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

I've been looking at the appartamento but wouldn't mind dual boiler then again I cant drink milk so can only steam almond milk or coconut milk it's not the same

well your not going to get a rocket DB for your budget so I’d rethink what your looking for.

the one mentioned above or I think expobar do a DB for that price.

out of interest why do u want a DB

Maybe a Nuova Simonelli Oscar II would suit you better.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

One counter-intuitive thing about a dual boiler machine is that you can switch the steam boiler off altogether if you aren't using it as it's a separate system rather than HX where the brew water is heated as a byproduct of the steam boiler. DB might be more fuel efficient than HX if you ignore the extra cost of buying it. Might be irrelevant if you're steaming NDA milk anyway though.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I also think it’s worth asking why is it you are upgrading... what is it about your current set up that makes you want to upgrade... why was it you wanted a rocket... why is it your after a DB...

personally I wanted to upgrade to get more steaming power mainly... I also wanted a nice looking e61 machine.

Your reasons for upgradig may may be different

I'm thinking of selling my Rocket Giotto Evo to go toward a Londinium. Details can be found in Kacper's thread here; https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?36289&p=473787#post473787

I'm hesistating because I am not sure how my wife will get on with using a lever and ideally I would like to try one first - anybody in my area with a Londinium willing to let me have a look?

If I do decide to sell, I will want about £800 for it. I will be in Sunderland late Feb/early March so delivery will not be a problem.

Londinium L1, Compak E8, Gaggia OWC, Kitchenaid Artisan, Bezzera BZ02, Gene Cafe.

I'm thinking of selling my Rocket Giotto Evo to go toward a Londinium. Details can be found in Kacper's thread here; https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?36289&p=473787#post473787

I'm hesistating because I am not sure how my wife will get on with using a lever and ideally I would like to try one first - anybody in my area with a Londinium willing to let me have a look?

If I do decide to sell, I will want about £800 for it. I will be in Sunderland late Feb/early March so delivery will not be a problem.

Ping Reiss - he pointed me to one cafe in Scotland that has L-2. Coffee was awful due to the beans, but at least I had a look at it and been offered to pull a shot by the staff member.

You’re always welcome to try mine if you end up getting lost in Glasgow.

Well that deal needs snapping up...

Just want something better than gaggia classic I have and love this look of all rocket machines tbh I'm still a novice but just think it's time to upgrade as I'm drinking more coffee than I used to and tbh I dunno about db so not really that bothered about that bit I'm the only coffee drinker in the household and the la pavoni is to much hassle with getting the temp right and things

Hi norvin I would definitely be interested in this you have my number if you fo decide to sell can I have first refusal

Just want something better than gaggia classic I have and love this look of all rocket machines tbh I'm still a novice but just think it's time to upgrade as I'm drinking more coffee than I used to and tbh I dunno about db so not really that bothered about that bit I'm the only coffee drinker in the household and the la pavoni is to much hassle with getting the temp right and things

I was also adamant that I wanted a Rocket as well, then after years of research and 18 months with a Sage Duo temp Pro I got a spring lever machine.

Firstly ask yourself honestly what you want out of a machine, then base your decision on that verses your budget. Personally I think Rocket are style over substance, they look FANTASTIC but other brands have better functionality and build quality at the same price point.

If upgrading from a classic I would seriously consider a Sage Dual Boiler, they often come up for sale second hand here and on eBay as a potential stepping stone. If not and you're looking at buying new I'd go for the Lelit Mara at the ~£1000 price point or hold out for that ACS Minima that's due to land very soon.

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

Whats a good price, why buy second hand when you can afford new, I don't really think you know what you want.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Whats a good price, why buy second hand when you can afford new, I don't really think you know what you want.

Agreed, OP I think you need to really think what it is your after. Obviously there is a massive market with a large range of stuff.

Right guys I think yous are right I need to think long and hard what I want but that Rocket Giotto Evo that maybe for sale is what I'm heading to well almost 100% certain

I'm one of those who wants something now so buts something else until I can but then regret it lol

Sit back have a read and at the Minima Review, and relax, did you mention you have grinder

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

I own a Rocket Evo V2 (HX) as well as a pre-series ACS Minima (DB) as well as a 1973 La Pavoni Europiccola (hand lever) - you cannot compare these machines, it's just so much of a difference.

One thing I enjoy with the Rocket is pre-infusing.

One thing I enjoy with the Minima is its insane (and parallel) steaming capability, although I use it hardly ever. And the option to just heat the brew boiler if after a spro only.

One thing I enjoy with the LaPav is the full control over every split second of pulling a shot.

Obviously, there are many more enjoyable differences... so, as outlined above by our fellow forum users: sit back and enjoy a good read about tech and goals and possibilities

Oh I am so glad I have a V haha 10 in 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE