DavidW

Noob question ahead

Hi guys, iÂ’m new to making fresh coffee and have just bought a used Gaggia classic.

I bought fresh pre ground a few weeks ago and have tried that and it came out really good, nice flow and good taste.

However I received an order from Rave coffee last week and came to try it today (espresso pre ground) The flow was extremely slow and the taste was quite bitter. I did what I did with my last batch and used the small black valve in my portafilter, filled up my basket and tamped it down.

Is there something IÂ’m missing? Sorry that itÂ’s a noob question!

Hi,

You will find that it is due to a couple of things. The coffee from Rave will be fresher and most likely ground finer. If you really want to improve your coffee experience buy second hand decent grinder and buy freshly roasted beans. Night and day.

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

If you dont have unpressurized basket try not to tamp hard.

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

If you dont have unpressurized basket try not to tamp hard.

I’ve tried without tamping and it’s slightly quicker, but still very slow. I’m thinking it’s the grind that is too fine, is there any way around this?

I’ve tried without tamping and it’s slightly quicker, but still very slow. I’m thinking it’s the grind that is too fine, is there any way around this?
Do you have a non pressurised basket you could try the coffee in? Unfortunately with it being preground you're restricted to using tamp pressure and/or dose to tune the shot.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Do you have a non pressurised basket you could try the coffee in? Unfortunately with it being preground you're restricted to using tamp pressure and/or dose to tune the shot.

I don’t, I have just ordered one though. Do you know if there’s a different grind level I could choose from when ordering online? Seeing as a grinder isn’t an option yet.

I don’t, I have just ordered one though. Do you know if there’s a different grind level I could choose from when ordering online? Seeing as a grinder isn’t an option yet.
That's a tough one. I've only ever used a pressurised basket with supermarket preground & that was only for a couple of days while I waited for a grinder to turn up. Since the pressurised basket is designed to pruduce the pressure instead of the correct grind, a filter grind should work ok.

For now with the coffee you have, try reducing the dose either with a very light tamp (just the weight of the tamper) or no tamp at all so there's less resistance in the puck. Obviously it'll give you a smaller shot for the same ratio compared with a full basket but at least you can use the coffee you already have.

Laissez les bons temps rouler