Having moved and now sharing an open plan lounge/kitchen area, my wife does her nut in when I make coffee using my Compak E5. To me (and my hearing is not the best anyway) it is not too bad of course but I have to respect her view. So, apart from the Niche that I already own, any thoughts on a decent on demand that is quiet. I seem to remember a Ceado E37s being a bit quite but I was not a big fan of the one I owned for a short period.

 You did not get me this time 

I was going to say my E8 isn’t bad, but I think is just because it’s fast, the noise is over fast. Certainly better than 10-12 seconds of super jolly

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, Compak e8, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

I haven't had the opportunity to compare them side by side but when I heard a Niche recently, I felt it was noticeably more noisy than my Monolith Conical. @MildredM ?

Londinium - R, Monolith Conical, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Eight Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

[quote name='Snakehips']I haven't had the opportunity to compare them side by side but when I heard a Niche recently, I felt it was noticeably more noisy than my Monolith Conical. @MildredM ?[/QUOTE] Owning a Niche, if I was going to single dose then I would keep that, but having an on demand and liking an on demand, a Monolith would be no good I am afraid. I had an M3 Versalab and absolutely hated it!

Owning a Niche, if I was going to single dose then I would keep that, but having an on demand and liking an on demand, a Monolith would be no good I am afraid. I had an M3 Versalab and absolutely hated it!

I do apologise..... I totally got the wrong end of the stick.... read on demand yet brain registered single dosing.

As if you haven’t had enough silliness already this evening?

Time for bed methinks. ;)

Londinium - R, Monolith Conical, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Eight Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

I do apologise..... I totally got the wrong end of the stick.... read on demand yet brain registered single dosing.

As if you haven’t had enough silliness already this evening?

Time for bed methinks. ;)

It was my bed time, several months ago.....dont worry!

I haven't had a wide variety of grinders and the quietest is the Mythos and as it's only a few seconds it's over quick as.

I'm all open plan also, but live on my own so isn't an issue but understand your problem David

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Mythos and loving it

Tampers: Reg Barber flat 58.35

David has had enough Mythi (?) to be well acquainted with them I reckon. In fact, this thread is more one that I'd have thought he'd be answering rather than asking! I was also rather taken with the Mythos I used in training, just a shame they're so big! I find the Ceado pretty quiet, and it's only 5 seconds too. But he's had one, and many others to compare, whereas I've only had 4 electric grinders, one of which was the dreaded MC2 which is known to be disproportionately noisy.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

David has had enough Mythi (?) to be well acquainted with them I reckon. In fact, this thread is more one that I'd have thought he'd be answering rather than asking! I was also rather taken with the Mythos I used in training, just a shame they're so big! I find the Ceado pretty quiet, and it's only 5 seconds too. But he's had one, and many others to compare, whereas I've only had 4 electric grinders, one of which was the dreaded MC2 which is known to be disproportionately noisy.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

My Mythos was actually bought from David as well as my first Haggis Classic. He local and my go to guy haha

My Mythos was actually bought from David as well as my first Haggis Classic. He local and my go to guy haha

Haggis?????? Ffs meant to say Gaggia

Haggis?????? Ffs meant to say Gaggia
Ah the tartan edition! I actually only upgraded to the Rocket so I didn't have to keep typing Gaggia and getting Haggis! That used to annoy the hell out of me hahaha! Yeah I know you guys are pretty local but I didn't realise you had one of his ex-Mythi.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

My E37s seemed to be louder than the Niche, for a reference point. My money would be on a slow conical on demand - Ceado and Compak do them.

Ah the tartan edition! I actually only upgraded to the Rocket so I didn't have to keep typing Gaggia and getting Haggis! That used to annoy the hell out of me hahaha! Yeah I know you guys are pretty local but I didn't realise you had one of his ex-Mythi.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Haha it's a major problem with auto correct...nearly as hard as catching those little buggers, who would realise Haggis are so bloody fast runners :D :D

Yeah well used Mythos but it's still going strong.

Really fancy getting the small hopper or even the hopper chopped down for aesthetic.

Could do with a good stripping down now and a wrap or something visually pleasing.

Grind wise I find it amazing

4 seconds for 18g

Sound proof enclosure? plus noise/vibration isolating feet?

Grinder in cupboard/other room?

You need to determine which noise she does not get on with.... motor or grind itself

Or perhaps you need to mention you are about to grind to lessen the surprise

Ignore All of the above if the aim here is a new grinder "upgrade"

Edited by grumpydaddy

I was threatened with having to move my coffee gear to the bunker once as my old 64mm grinders were "too noisy and woke the F***ing street up" - I pointed out that it was a great alarm clock and those numpties next door should be up and doing something useful with their lives apart from stockpiling scented candles and discount vouchers. I also pointed out that if I went in the bunker I would probably not come out for several hours at a time - so there you have it you need to get the excavators in :good:

Edited by jimbojohn55

keep calm and grind flat

The problem is, having a Niche, that is the sound levels she is going to expect. I might when the hopper is empty, put the E5 to one side and try just to use the Niche for a bit. Personally, I only drink 2 cups a day now so I guess it would be no biggie....no room to move anything to another room.....bloody bungalows!

How about one of those Acaia weighing up machines to save the faff of weighing then you CAN have a Monolith coni - they are quiet and really fast making them unlikely to be an annoyance! And it save me having to buy one just to see what they’re like!

I am going back to bed now!!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer tool / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 340ml pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / and a large array of coffee towels!

a>

I's suspect that the only grinder that would match Niche for noise levels is the E37K - 290rpm along with the resilient mounting they use.

:) LOL - Or if you want I could sell you a Robur. I've done what I wanted to do with mine.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

How about an EK43 with the Frank (Titus Grinding) volumetric doser on the top? From what I recall you don't weigh in anyway and so you could just check the first one to make sure it's ballpark and then go from there.

Obviously it's not silent but it is bloody quick and you could be finished so quickly you'd be able to claim you weren't even doing anything - I've used this trick in various different settings (as I'm taking a turn for the carry on side of humour I'll stop there).

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

I's suspect that the only grinder that would match Niche for noise levels is the E37K - 290rpm along with the resilient mounting they use.

:) LOL - Or if you want I could sell you a Robur. I've done what I wanted to do with mine.

John

-

many thanks but had a Robur, and a Royal many moons ago

John

-

John, I's suspect that from within the confines of your padded cell you may have a unique aural perspective, to which most of us will struggle to relate. :)

How about an EK43 with the Frank (Titus Grinding) volumetric doser on the top? From what I recall you don't weigh in anyway and so you could just check the first one to make sure it's ballpark and then go from there.

Obviously it's not silent but it is bloody quick and you could be finished so quickly you'd be able to claim you weren't even doing anything - I've used this trick in various different settings (as I'm taking a turn for the carry on side of humour I'll stop there).

Then I would choke on my cornflakes, every time I used it......I hate them!

John, I's suspect that from within the confines of your padded cell you may have a unique aural perspective, to which most of us will struggle to relate. :)

He just needs to buy their ancillary kit they sell to go with either.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38583[/ATTACH]

Ceado mentioned as they appear to use well balanced motors - wont get round the noise the beans make though.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

How about one of those Acaia weighing up machines to save the faff of weighing then you CAN have a Monolith coni - they are quiet and really fast making them unlikely to be an annoyance! And it save me having to buy one just to see what they’re like!

I am going back to bed now!!

I don't think dfk will have much problem weighing in when he's used to it. Me for instance one full scoop always goes in. Next one varies, some get tipped in followed by tapping some out of the scoop. I work to -0 to +0.1g so may put one or 2 beans in more than needed so take 3 or 4 out and add some to adjust. Of late I'm asking myself if a couple of extra beans really matters. Compared with a timed grind probably not.

He probably wont be happy about the grind time of Niche and then the grinds have to be added to the portafilter and prepared however he does it. That will take longer, Then he might not like the taste of what comes out. So far when I have changed anything major equipment wise it's meant a certain amount of retuning.

John

-