Sign in to follow this  
Rnash

Cannot pull shots on Gaggia Classic

I cannot pull shots on my Classic. All cleaned etc, lights working etc. VST basket. Pre-ground Illy coffee. Full sized tamper but no distributor. No scales. When I use same coffee with more ‘common’ DeLonghi I can pull something that looks like espresso. Classic: 2ozs in 7 secs maybe, no crema. Why is this??? It surely cannot be fact that I’m not grinding my own coffee beans can it? What’s going on, starting to get bored!

You need scales, you need a grinder.

You cant use preground in a Vst baskets its not fresh enough and not fine enough.

Step 1 get a grinder, decent coffee and scales.

What size VST are you using out of interest also

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Exactly as above. The only way you would be able to use preground is to use a pressurised basket = poor coffee:bad:

VST baskets require good prep + good freshly ground coffee:good:

If you're wanting to use preground in a classic then you need their pressurised basket to create the back pressure. The VST basket is too highly strung for even some 'entry level' grinders (the mignon is about as low as I'd go due to its micrometric adjustment) to cope with.

Your DeLonghi most ikely has a pressurised basket/portafilter unless you've modified it.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

you need a pressurised basket (has a single hole and some plastic widget to create crema in a normal spouted portafilter) like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-Espresso-Filter-Basket-Pressurised/dp/B007913ANW

this will make drinkable coffee from preground, but you will want to get on a grinder at some point

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

I cannot pull shots on my Classic. All cleaned etc, lights working etc. VST basket. Pre-ground Illy coffee. Full sized tamper but no distributor. No scales. When I use same coffee with more ‘common’ DeLonghi I can pull something that looks like espresso. Classic: 2ozs in 7 secs maybe, no crema. Why is this??? It surely cannot be fact that I’m not grinding my own coffee beans can it? What’s going on, starting to get bored!

Using an 18g straight walled VST. Thanks for your advice, there appears to be a common consensus emerging!

If you're wanting to use preground in a classic then you need their pressurised basket to create the back pressure. The VST basket is too highly strung for even some 'entry level' grinders (the mignon is about as low as I'd go due to its micrometric adjustment) to cope with.

Your DeLonghi most ikely has a pressurised basket/portafilter unless you've modified it.

——

i see that’s very interesting. I’m looking at the new Niche grinder. It would appear this is good enough

——

i see that’s very interesting. I’m looking at the new Niche grinder. It would appear this is good enough

The Niche will be more than good enough. It has commercial burrs in a kitchen friendly housing.

Laissez les bons temps rouler