Deeez Nuuutz

Looking at buying a Synchronika...

Not familiar with the system, but is there an accumulator in the system for stored pressure, is there a differential setting, what do the instructions indicate ?.

You've switched over on the machine ?.

Jon.

Not a lot tbh. It suggests the tubing may be too small or excessive length. I only connected the supplied parts and added a 5” length of 3/8” tube to transition to my machines braided line.

When I found that was pulsing I then swapped out the 5” section for a 3mtr length to try and increase the buffer of water between the Flojet and machine.

39e360a5a4cec105100a78964fd3b30a.jpg

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

Yes Jon, I’ve switched over on the machine at the front and rear.

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

If when there's no demand from the FLOJET it cuts out and stays off until you use the machine ?, it suggests that side of it is OK, the fact it is pulsing on demand means it is satisfying the demand and maintaining it, as there's insufficient differential + - between ON/OF it will keep doing that.

Does the FLOJET have a flow switch in it ?.

Member Larkin has one of these fitted and may be best placed if he has encountered a similar situation.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

If when there's no demand from the FLOJET it cuts out and stays off until you use the machine ?, it suggests that side of it is OK, the fact it is pulsing on demand means it is satisfying the demand and maintaining it, as there's insufficient differential + - between ON/OF it will keep doing that.

Does the FLOJET have a flow switch in it ?.

Member Larkin has one of these fitted and may be best placed if he has encountered a similar situation.

I don’t think there is a flow switch inside that you can adjust or anything. Afaik it’s a stand alone piece of equipment.

The Flojet must be providing more than adequate pressure and is stopping when there is not more requirement hence the pulsing. I want a steady pressure though really at the grouphead.

Maybe @jlarkin has experienced similar?

I don’t think there is a flow switch inside that you can adjust or anything. Afaik it’s a stand alone piece of equipment.

The Flojet must be providing more than adequate pressure and is stopping when there is not more requirement hence the pulsing. I want a steady pressure though really at the grouphead.

Maybe @jlarkin has experienced similar?

That's about it, an accumulator would solve that erratic behaviour as it would store pressure against a bladder, pre air inflated at one side enclosed within a cylinder (Basically) (There are other methods) a good length of subtle pipe would do it but it is extreme to deviate from how that unit is perceived to function.

However as what you have purchased I understand is a stand alone unit and should not require an accumulator, I would have expected there to be an adjustment and for the manual to explain.

Member Larkin may be out on a pop up.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

@Deeez Nuuutz darn! I'm sure some people have run the flojet without an accumulator and I thought for a one group you'd be OK. I found similar but it wasn't constant, just it cycled on and off a lot with, using it on a 2 group, so as I mentioned I do use it with an accumulator - I got that from coffeehit.

I just had a quick look on the coffeehit website (and I'm guessing you bought from them?) the outline of the installation doesn't include an accumulator, I wonder if it's worth getting in touch with them, they've been quite helpful before with me before?

I could be remembering incorrectly but thought @jeebsy did use the flojet without an accumulator for a while? I can't think of anybody else that's had one, in case they have any ideas.

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

@Deeez Nuuutz darn! I'm sure some people have run the flojet without an accumulator and I thought for a one group you'd be OK. I found similar but it wasn't constant, just it cycled on and off a lot with, using it on a 2 group, so as I mentioned I do use it with an accumulator - I got that from coffeehit.

I just had a quick look on the coffeehit website (and I'm guessing you bought from them?) the outline of the installation doesn't include an accumulator, I wonder if it's worth getting in touch with them, they've been quite helpful before with me before?

I could be remembering incorrectly but thought @jeebsy did use the flojet without an accumulator for a while? I can't think of anybody else that's had one, in case they have any ideas.

Thought so, for smoothest operation and eliminate this constant cycling an accumulator is best fitted in hydraulic circuits, it also serves to eliminate hydraulic hammer.

If you get an accumulator make sure its for domestic use, drinking water.

Jon.

Thought so, for smoothest operation and eliminate this constant cycling an accumulator is best fitted in hydraulic circuits, it also serves to eliminate hydraulic hammer.

If you get an accumulator make sure its for domestic use, drinking water.

Jon.

Thank you both!

I was under the assumption that if I had a direct feed I could also activate the line pre-infusion. After connecting the Flojet, I still can’t get the line pre-infusion to activate by pulling the shot lever to the halfway position. Any ideas how this is supposed to work?

Thanks

E61 preinfusion in that sense is almost accidental. Yes, if you have line pressure, having the lever at halfway will give you a kind of PI but it's not really designed that way. The E61 has a preinfusion chamber and a spring that lets go at about 3 bar IIRC. This is intended to just soften the blow as the pump kicks in, until the puck is saturated and headspace filled, at which point the puck is exposed to full pump pressure. That's (my understanding of) how it's *supposed* to work. Halfway house PI is kind of outside the design parameters as such. That's not to say it doesn't work. But if you do the halfway house trick, you're kind of over-riding the slow ramp-up from the PI chamber. So you may not lose/gain much in real terms.

That said, I do the opposite - pause the lever at halfway when killing the shot, to allow a decline in pressure and shut the pump off before the end. I'll not claim any 'pressure profile' benefits for this, just that it allows a slightly longer contact time and there's less (in my case bottled) water expelled into the drip tray.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

E61 preinfusion in that sense is almost accidental. Yes, if you have line pressure, having the lever at halfway will give you a kind of PI but it's not really designed that way. The E61 has a preinfusion chamber and a spring that lets go at about 3 bar IIRC. This is intended to just soften the blow as the pump kicks in, until the puck is saturated and headspace filled, at which point the puck is exposed to full pump pressure. That's (my understanding of) how it's *supposed* to work. Halfway house PI is kind of outside the design parameters as such. That's not to say it doesn't work. But if you do the halfway house trick, you're kind of over-riding the slow ramp-up from the PI chamber. So you may not lose/gain much in real terms.

That said, I do the opposite - pause the lever at halfway when killing the shot, to allow a decline in pressure and shut the pump off before the end. I'll not claim any 'pressure profile' benefits for this, just that it allows a slightly longer contact time and there's less (in my case bottled) water expelled into the drip tray.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Thanks for that. So if you pull the lever halfway at the end of the shot for a slower decline, does that require line pressure?

Massively coincidental, but I only just learned about this technique this morning watching a WLL video :)

No, all it does is switch off the pump whilst keeping the exhaust valve closed. The system is still pressurised because the pump has been running and that pressure takes time to decline due to the resistance at the puck. Pressure then declines naturally as the residual water (espresso) exits the basket, as it has nowhere else to go until you drop the lever all the way and the exhaust opens into the drip tray. Dropping the lever immediately does no harm (that's what the designers intended) but it does mean that a lot more water ends up in the drip tray. Mine is tank fed with Waitrose Lockhills or Volvic.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Hi all,

Can someone tell because this is really bugging me, my brew pressure gauge when not in use reads 2.0 bar. I pull a shot and it goes to the normal 9-10 bar but whenever it’s idle it reads 2.0 bar. Is this because it’s in a direct feed?

Does anyone else have this with their machine?

Thanks

d1f780b1e9aece38874124d23019f37c.jpg

It is absolutely normal, but when the machine is cold(not in use) it should read 0.

BR

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Hi all,

Can someone tell because this is really bugging me, my brew pressure gauge when not in use reads 2.0 bar. I pull a shot and it goes to the normal 9-10 bar but whenever it’s idle it reads 2.0 bar. Is this because it’s in a direct feed?

Does anyone else have this with their machine?

Thanks

d1f780b1e9aece38874124d23019f37c.jpg

I can confirm what you experiencing, my pressure is zero as I currently use the reservoir, the 2 bar that you see is your water supply pressure from the flojet.

Nothing to worry about.

Jon.

I suspected that was the case after I posted but thanks for confirming. I can put my mind at rest now :)