Deeez Nuuutz

Looking at buying a Synchronika...

Hi all,

I’m looking at buying a Synchronika very soon. I’ve weighed up the alternatives and I keep coming back to this ECM.

This will be my first e61 so I have a few questions...

How accurate is the PID readout compared to what you’re actually getting out of the group head?

I know you can only do a line Pre-infusion when plumbed in. I live in a hard water area and at the moment plumbing in is not really an option so I was wondering as I’ve read different things on the internet regarding e61 group heads, when you pull the lever to activate the pull, does the pressure go straight to 9bar etc? Because some say it’s @ 4 bar for a couple of seconds then ramps up to 9 bar?

What’s the steam power like with the supplied 2 hole steam tip? I’ve read about the steam power suffering problems on some, this may of been sorted now with the upgraded PID they now come with though?

I’ve also read that you can remove the inner liner from the steam wand and in doing so increases the steam power? This combined with a 4 hole steam tip greatly increases the steaming power or so I’ve read?

Any recommended cleaning tools for the machine? What’s best to use for the group head?

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips. It’s most appreciated :)

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

A quick response to one query, you will not need to deviate from he two hole steam tip and rest assured it will hold it's own, I have no problem satisfying the demand for coffee's and milky hot chocolate drinks successively when Family visit.

The only thing I see that is gained by removing the steam liner is numerous risks of getting burnt, other than that no advantage.

Where are you based ?, quite open to you paying a visit and trying the Synchronika without any distractions and feelings of obligation.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Posted (edited)
A quick response to one query, you will not need to deviate from he two hole steam tip and rest assured it will hold it's own, I have no problem satisfying the demand for coffee's and milky hot chocolate drinks successively when Family visit.

The only thing I see that is gained by removing the steam liner is numerous risks of getting burnt, other than that no advantage.

Where are you based ?, quite open to you paying a visit and trying the Synchronika without any distractions and feelings of obligation.

Jon.

Thanks Jon.

I’m in Berkshire so unfortunately quite a distance from you but I do appreciate the offer and if you was closer I’d happily take you up on it.

What’s your user experience been like? Still enjoying it? Any shortcomings?

Anything I should be mindful of?

Edited by Deeez Nuuutz

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

Thanks Jon.

I’m in Berkshire so unfortunately quite a distance from you but I do appreciate the offer and if you was closer I’d happily take you up on it.

What’s your user experience been like? Still enjoying it? Any shortcomings?

Anything I should be mindful of?

Time was not really on our side to break into having our own espresso machine at home at a sane entry level and work our way up.

Nearly always enjoyed cafe and some restaurant coffees (Mostly abroad and I could count on one finger visits to S'Bucks, Costa, Nero type places) so bit the bullet and thought well we need an espresso machine, did a crash course of reading up different machines, one of DaveC's reviews on a QuickMill Verona seemed to be 'The' machine to suit, basic thoughts were that selecting a machine at this level and calibre would in use suggest if the brew was not acceptable it was not something lacking in the equipment and more down to me and the beans, Alex Duetto 1V was another machine.

Found that the Verona was no longer being imported, the Sychronika whilst a contender was just over the budget, but I got a very good deal, hence the story so far.

In the short time of our journey I am now really finding that a single dose grinder would be of great benefit, juggling a bean and brew to satisfy Madams and My palate is very difficult and somewhat limiting, something that a single dose grinder would I reckon alleviate. I know the grinder I would like, for me it ticks the boxes and it's not the Niche, the rare chance of one came up early in our venture and unfortunately at a time when there was other Family priorities.

So briefly there we are, as far as siting the machine, it was really not all that difficult once we had the machine at home, we are blest with scope to cut and paste (Sounds easy) at home and it quickly took shape, there are some mid course corrections I want to do and will get around to them ............ yes eventually.

If you find you are travelling t'up North at all try me, we are not overly far from the motorway network A1 / M62 .

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Posted (edited)
Hi all,

This will be my first e61 so I have a few questions...

How accurate is the PID readout

when you pull the lever to activate the pull, does the pressure go straight to 9bar

What’s the steam power like with the supplied 2 hole steam tip?

I’ve also read that you can remove the inner liner from the steam wand and in doing so increases the steam power?

Any recommended cleaning tools for the machine? What’s best to use for the group head?

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips. It’s most appreciated :)

I am a bit of a non expert, but I love my Synchronica

Not sure how accurate the PID is but you can adjust in half a degree increments.

The pressure does seem to get to 9 Bar pretty fast

The two hole tip is fine, it seems that it is was a problem but has been upgraded on more recent machines

I have not dismantled the steam wand. I see no reason to

The machine came with a cleaning brush. I wipe with a paper towel before pulling a shot.

The only issue I have with the machine is that single shot basket gives a bit of a soggy puck with the beans/dose that I am using. This may be my fault as I use a fairly light dose in my espresso. I don't get the issue with the double basket.

Hope that is helpful to you.

As an aside, I think the machine is one of the most aesthetically pleasing machines on the market. The two gauges near the top gives the illusion of a face and this gives it "personality". Sounds daft but I liked this. I call mine "Kevin'. :D

ECM-Espressomaschine-Synchronika-Hauptbild.jpg

Edited by ForumCat

Time was not really on our side to break into having our own espresso machine at home at a sane entry level and work our way up.

Nearly always enjoyed cafe and some restaurant coffees (Mostly abroad and I could count on one finger visits to S'Bucks, Costa, Nero type places) so bit the bullet and thought well we need an espresso machine, did a crash course of reading up different machines, one of DaveC's reviews on a QuickMill Verona seemed to be 'The' machine to suit, basic thoughts were that selecting a machine at this level and calibre would in use suggest if the brew was not acceptable it was not something lacking in the equipment and more down to me and the beans, Alex Duetto 1V was another machine.

Found that the Verona was no longer being imported, the Sychronika whilst a contender was just over the budget, but I got a very good deal, hence the story so far.

In the short time of our journey I am now really finding that a single dose grinder would be of great benefit, juggling a bean and brew to satisfy Madams and My palate is very difficult and somewhat limiting, something that a single dose grinder would I reckon alleviate. I know the grinder I would like, for me it ticks the boxes and it's not the Niche, the rare chance of one came up early in our venture and unfortunately at a time when there was other Family priorities.

So briefly there we are, as far as siting the machine, it was really not all that difficult once we had the machine at home, we are blest with scope to cut and paste (Sounds easy) at home and it quickly took shape, there are some mid course corrections I want to do and will get around to them ............ yes eventually.

If you find you are travelling t'up North at all try me, we are not overly far from the motorway network A1 / M62 .

Jon.

Thanks for the insight, Jon.

I actually won’t buy coffee from Starbucks, Costa, Cafe Nero and the like. I refuse to pay their premium for coffee that is no where near the quality I can make at home. I only ever buy coffee out if it’s from a speciality coffee shop.

I really like the look and aesthetics of the Synchronika and from what I’ve read it’s a really well thought out and put together machine.

If I’m ever up’t north I’ll be sure to get in touch. :)

I am a bit of a non expert, but I love my Synchronica

Not sure how accurate the PID is but you can adjust in half a degree increments.

The pressure does seem to get to 9 Bar pretty fast

The two hole tip is fine, it seems that it is was a problem but has been upgraded on more recent machines

I have not dismantled the steam wand. I see no reason to

The machine came with a cleaning brush. I wipe with a paper towel before pulling a shot.

The only issue I have with the machine is that single shot basket gives a bit of a soggy puck with the beans/dose that I am using. This may be my fault as I use a fairly light dose in my espresso. I don't get the issue with the double basket.

As an aside, I think the machine is one of the most aesthetically pleasing machines on the market. The two gauges near the top gives the illusion of a face and this gives it "personality". Sounds daft but I liked this. I call mine "Kevin'. :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38459[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful.

I don’t think the soggy puck is anything directly to do with the machine. I get this too sometimes on the machines I’ve had and it’s normally due to the beans or the dose. Some beans I find that with and some I don’t. I find it more difficult to use a single shot basket anyway due to the small diameter of the basket area where the puck sits. Always find I have to finger the grinds into the hole :)

I’ve never noticed the Synchronika looking like a face but I don’t think I can look at it now without seeing it :) Brilliant!!

I’ve never noticed the Synchronika looking like a face but I don’t think I can look at it now without seeing it :) Brilliant!!

With the portafilter at an angle it looks like Kevin is smoking a cigar. LOL :D

Posted (edited)

The two hole tip is fine, it seems that it is was a problem but has been upgraded on more recent machines.

This was the upgrade early 2018

I have not dismantled the steam wand.

The steam tip change I think was early 2017, they even sent out tips to existing Synchronika owners.

I would be cautious using a paper towel as small bits just may stick to the screen (Only my view).

A fine grind, tamp, to little quantity of grounds in the basket leading to the water dropping onto the grounds like a rain shower and loosening up the grounds surface, if over filled you'll get grounds sticking to the screen

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38459[/ATTACH]

The gauges either side at the top means you can see them when using the machine, baffled me why many manufacturers sited them at the bottom, likewise why some manufacturers initially fitted rotary pump assy's with the pump at the top.

The aesthetics is good with attention to detail and no sharp edges, good clearance for using mugs, the slightly angled down porta filter handle has a good feel when entering it.

FC.. Hope you don't mind using your post to answer certain points ?.

Jon.

Edited by xpresso
text

Can anyone give me approximate timings for how long it takes the brew boiler and steam boiler tanks to reach temperature?

Thanks.

Can anyone give me approximate timings for how long it takes the brew boiler and steam boiler tanks to reach temperature?

Thanks.

Ambient temperature plays a part, 20 minutes is about it.

Water at 94 steam at 128.

Jon............ Now I really must get on ;);).

Thanks.

You want the group to reach its temperature.

L-R takes less than 5 minutes to reach the temperature in the boiler, but the 8kg group head takes a bit longer...

Thanks to all for all your valued advice.

I have today placed an order for a Synchronika and it’s being delivered tomorrow.

Cant wait! :)

Nice! The search is over!

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Enjoy the journey. Please be patient there are quite a few variables to manage so don't expect narvana immediately!

The Niche that you have will be ideal!

ECM Synchronika; Mazzer mini electric type A; Niche Zero; Aeropress: Chemex; Moka pot induction 3,6; Kruve; Comandante C40; Lido 3; Aerogrind feld2; Espro calibrated tamper; Pullman Chisel espresso distribution tool; VST 18g, 20g; Espazzola; IMS shower screen; Acacia Lunar, Pearl; :coffee:

Enjoy the journey. Please be patient there are quite a few variables to manage so don't expect narvana immediately!

The Niche that you have will be ideal!

Thanks. This is my first e61 so I’m not expecting to master it straight away. I know there is a lot to learn but it’s all part of the fun right?! :)

Posted (edited)
Thanks to all for all your valued advice.

I have today placed an order for a Synchronika and it’s being delivered tomorrow.

Cant wait! :)

Very Happy and Chuft for you, a wise choice, I'm confident you will not be disappointed.

The very quick sale of your existing had nothing to do with it :time-out::time-out::time-out:.

Don't forget to update your profile...

Jon.

Edited by xpresso
more info

Very Happy and Chuft for you, a wise choice, I'm confident you will not be disappointed.

The very quick sale of your existing had nothing to do with it :time-out::time-out::time-out:.

Don't forget to update your profile...

Jon.

Thanks a lot, Jon! :)

Nice choice, just watch the Vesuvius curve ball. :)

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Nice choice, just watch the Vesuvius curve ball. :)

Oh I thought long and hard about the Vesuvius I can tell you!

It was basically between the 2 and as pioneering as the Vesuvius was and as great as it is, I much prefer the looks of the ECM and love how they’ve done the internals of the machine. Hopefully I won’t ever need to do much inside there, but if I do, I’ll be more confident to do so given the layout.

It was no easy choice I can assure you, Jony!

Oh I thought long and hard about the Vesuvius I can tell you!

It was basically between the 2 and as pioneering as the Vesuvius was and as great as it is, I much prefer the looks of the ECM and love how they’ve done the internals of the machine. Hopefully I won’t ever need to do much inside there, but if I do, I’ll be more confident to do so given the layout.

It was no easy choice I can assure you, Jony!

I agree with your sentiments and a scale tipper toward the Synchronika other than that for me would have been the electronics side of it.

As mentioned mine was a crash course in entering the world of espresso (I always thought Espresso was spelt Expresso :whistle:)

..... so I stuck to the basics of wanting just a decent coffee and if I felt I needed the additional features, it is part possible with the Synchronika, even now after almost a year and seeing the input and confidence Paolo Cortese instils in the Vesuvius is an added bonus but for a new machine I feel I would have got the Synchronika.

Jon.

Not sure whether I should post this in another section?

My machine has arrived and it’s gorgeous :)

However I have identified an issue that I may have overlooked lol

The machine is in the kitchen against a wall and the mains water inlet is in the other side of the room so it’s not possible to plumb it in at this point. It’s on a counter with cabinets above and no room to open the flap to fill the reservoir. Short of spinning the 25kg machine round on the countertop every time I need to refill, are there any other options?

Posted (edited)
Not sure whether I should post this in another section?

My machine has arrived and it’s gorgeous :)

However I have identified an issue that I may have overlooked lol

The machine is in the kitchen against a wall and the mains water inlet is in the other side of the room so it’s not possible to plumb it in at this point. It’s on a counter with cabinets above and no room to open the flap to fill the reservoir. Short of spinning the 25kg machine round on the countertop every time I need to refill, are there any other options?

Felt pads on the feet to aid you moving on the counter. Edited by ashcroc

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Just to get you away why not remove the pin on the lid (If that helps) and pop something over to prevent anything entering the reservoir.

I'm working through a mountain of mail at the moment.

Jon.

Glad it's looking good! You could consider a flojet to mimic plumbing in, if you're able to hide the bottle and flojet under the counter?

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com