What are your latest recommendations for decafs as of Jan 2019 onwards?

Blends or single origin beans?

Previously a member swore by Illy Decaf.

I'd also be interested in knowing of beans or blends known for their low caffeine content.

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

I found I quite liked the dark roast Mexican Mountatin Water decaf from Redber when I got it in a taster pack a while back.

Still like Rave's Swiss Water decaf.....

Seconded. Bought some for my wife who is off caffeine and drank by mistake. Very nice!

My nomination for best value - Waitrose Peru Decaf beans. On offer at £2.62 a bag in my local. Can't beat that. Coffee is OK enough at that price.

• Like 1

Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

I’ve always had a problem with decaf Colombians - no matter where I’ve got them from. All of them always had a little decaf aftertaste that I can’t describe.

Am fine with full caf Colombians so I know it’s not me.

Decaf African in the other hand I can really get some acidity and flavours out - whether it’s espresso or aeropress.

Anyone had the same problem?

Are the Colombians recommended on here comparable to a non decaf? I don’t mean like for like but that general Colombian taste profile.

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Are the Colombians recommended on here comparable to a non decaf? I don’t mean like for like but that general Colombian taste profile.

Not sure what "Colombian taste profile is", but the Crankhouse La Plata is the least decaf tasting decaf I have tried for drip, I have enjoyed other Colombian EA decafs too, that will likely work better as French press & espresso (most seem to be on the darker side). I've had non-decaf beans I enjoyed less than these.

As for a decaf that can't be identified as decaf? It's a lot to ask?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Not sure what "Colombian taste profile is", but the Crankhouse La Plata is the least decaf tasting decaf I have tried for drip, I have enjoyed other Colombian EA decafs too, that will likely work better as French press & espresso (most seem to be on the darker side). I've had non-decaf beans I enjoyed less than these.

As for a decaf that can't be identified as decaf? It's a lot to ask?

Aye, it’s a tall ask - though North Star huye mountain certainly fits that description

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Very recently tried Rave Swiss Water Decaf, Machina Excelso Decaf (Also Swiss Water), and Mexican Decaf from Salford Roasters. Liked all. Mostly was consumed as not very long black or in cafetiere.

Sage Barista Express, V60, Moka Pot, Filter/Cafetiere | Black Coffee | Like to explore beans and roasters

Very recently tried Rave Swiss Water Decaf, Machina Excelso Decaf (Also Swiss Water), and Mexican Decaf from Salford Roasters. Liked all. Mostly was consumed as not very long black or in cafetiere.

What brew ratio did you use for the Rave Swiss Water Decaf? I feel like I've tried it so many different ways but can't get anything approaching nice, even with milk or cream. Seems to lack any sweetness at all. Might try it in a cafetiere and see what it's like.

I'm currently quite enjoying the Colonna Viani Swiss Water

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero