Sign in to follow this  
bronc

Mazzer SJ stalling

A friend purchased a Mazzer SJ (Mestre actually) and called me to set it up for single dosing. While we were dialing it in, we discovered the grinder stalls sometimes but it doesn't seem to depend strictly on the grind setting. By stalls I mean that when we start it with beans in the hopper, I can hear the motor run but the burrs don't rotate. In one of the videos the grinder was grinding but it was very slow and the sound it was making wasn't okay. I could also feel the grinding chamber get quite toasty. What could be the reason? The burrs are new and original, if this matters.

hbOrcpQ.jpg

N3nR1E0.jpg

[video=youtube_share;B0paB2UBR-M]

[video=youtube_share;sTqYG582Jbw]

[video=youtube_share;yrwqrg_sWSE]

? Two capacitors but using only one ? Try switching over to the other one.

The SJ also needs a 16uF capacitor.

If the motor is running but the burr's are not spinning, that would seem to suggest that the burr carrier is slipping ??

The lower burr carrier is keyed to the shaft but only in one small key. It is not unknown for people to put the carrier on in the wrong place

agree easy for someone to put the burr carrier on without lining up the notch in it with the roll pin through the shaft - looking at your video the adjustment collar is sitting quite high and not as far down as usual - so quite possible the notch is not lined up.

keep calm and grind flat

? Two capacitors but using only one ? Try switching over to the other one.

The SJ also needs a 16uF capacitor.

The two capacitors seem to be connected to each other with two brown wires. Maybe the two connected together make 16uF?

The burr carrier misalignment makes sense. I've never removed it on my Mazzer so didn't know you need to align it.

If you remove the carrier DO NOT LEVER IT OFF You can make a simple puller or use three long screws to 'jack' it off but this does score the thin dust plate underneath.

Don't take the burr carrier off, just put a new capacitor in. Logically the burr carrier slipping cannot be the problem. In the first video it clearly spins the burrs (barely), in the others you can hear the motor is not turning, because there is insufficient starting/run torque.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Posted (edited)

Quite often it runs without any slowdown, hesitation etc so it's an intermittent problem.. Forgot to mention this.

The capacitor thing makes sense and it was what I first thought of but wouldn't the problem be present at every start if it was at fault? @DavecUK where can I get a capacitor for the SJ? I found a thread on HB which says the OEM part is Ducati Energia 4.16.27.19 but I am not able to find this online.. neither a "Mazzer Super Jolly capacitor" on Google.

Edited by bronc

Quite often it runs without any slowdown, hesitation etc so it's an intermittent problem.. Forgot to mention this.

The capacitor thing makes sense and it was what I first thought of but wouldn't the problem be present at every start if it was at fault? @DavecUK where can I get a capacitor for the SJ? I found a thread on HB which says the OEM part is Ducati Energia 4.16.27.19 but I am not able to find this online.. neither a "Mazzer Super Jolly capacitor" on Google.

Not always no, it can be intermittent and gradually get worse. just go on ebay and get a suitable capacitor for 5 or 10 quid....probably something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cylinder-Shaped-CBB60-10uF-450V-AC-Motor-Run-Capacitor-for-Washing-Machine-HS838/264020269753?epid=12022714683&hash=item3d78d59ab9:g:dpAAAOSwgYdb3LLp:rk:78:pf:0

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

The capacitors were faulty. He brought back the machine from the place he got it and they replaced it with a single 16uF one. It grinds as it should now.