IGNORED

Long range WiFi boosters

joey24dirt

Depends on what you are trying to do......some routers have better wifi than others.....access points as suggested or simply network plugs.....is 5gz not just for apple products? I run both 2.4 & 5 and find the 5 generally faster

In a race between a donkey and a horse, to see who could reach the bottom first..........one side has a commanding lead

At 20m you should be getting a decent signal already but it might depend on where you have stuff installed in the house at the moment.

Shall we start by asking exactly what you are wanting in the bunker? and.... where/what wifi do you have in the house already?

Also do you own any no longer used wifi or router kit?

I had a link but it has since been taken down and may not be to your requirement anyway.

One other thought.... could you ethernet cable to the bunker

If you just want to snag wifi from the house then the cheapest solution might be:

(first idea)

You can make this more pro by changing the can for an outdoor access point

He does not say so but you run these with the dish inverted do what used to point at the satellite points at your house wifi

Edited by grumpydaddy

I also do 

https://join.worldcommunitygrid.org?recruiterId=596475 Letting the idle processors on phone and PC help humanity

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vesuvius/ Even though I have a lever

Depends on what you are trying to do......some routers have better wifi than others.....access points as suggested or simply network plugs.....is 5gz not just for apple products? I run both 2.4 & 5 and find the 5 generally faster

The camera I’m setting up in the new workshop is only a 2.4

Where I am I currently receive two bars WiFi to my phone from my virgin router so signal is pretty good considering, the problem is the WiFi on the cam is shite so it needs to be plugged in to a cable.

333c32cb320a92517f7a5ebd9c19dd4e.jpg

This is the current set up. The tp-link booster is old and is unreliable so I just wanted to upgrade that and hopefully receive a decent signal down here.

At 20m you should be getting a decent signal already but it might depend on where you have stuff installed in the house at the moment.

Shall we start by asking exactly what you are wanting in the bunker? and.... where/what wifi do you have in the house already?

Also do you own any no longer used wifi or router kit?

I had a link but it has since been taken down and may not be to your requirement anyway.

One other thought.... could you ethernet cable to the bunker

Check the picture I’ve just posted. Basically shows what I’m trying to do to avoid running a cable down. It has to go through an insulated wooden wall so should mange that. It may just be a case of chucking a cable down and saving myself some coin [emoji4]

If it is just for the camera, then work out the cost of the various options, then just buy a new web cam! Virgin routers operate on both frequencies anyway. TP link adapters are probably about the cheapest option, unless you want the hassle of installing ethernet cables

In a race between a donkey and a horse, to see who could reach the bottom first..........one side has a commanding lead

What is the camera for anyway. There are loads of options nowadays without spending a fortune on them......I probably have a spare top end webcam and possibly network adapters somewhere as well

These are a handy addition to a camera setup

https://www.techsilver.co.uk/product/voice-activated-sound-player/

They're not a huge deterrent, but if someone breaks in the sound of someone's voice responding with a warning throws them off balance. At the very least it spooks them and gives you an extra 30 seconds to respond.

Another alternative is a strobe light attached to a wi-fi socket.

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Comet-LED-Mini-Strobe-by-Gear4music/26S6?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=102102d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=598765119258&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk9uI0c7E3wIVirftCh0E0wAQEAQYBCABEgKslPD_BwE

These are a handy addition to a camera setup

https://www.techsilver.co.uk/product/voice-activated-sound-player/

They're not a huge deterrent, but if someone breaks in the sound of someone's voice responding with a warning throws them off balance. At the very least it spooks them and gives you an extra 30 seconds to respond.

Another alternative is a strobe light attached to a wi-fi socket.

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Comet-LED-Mini-Strobe-by-Gear4music/26S6?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=102102d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=598765119258&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk9uI0c7E3wIVirftCh0E0wAQEAQYBCABEgKslPD_BwE

I like the idea of the voice box. Reminds me of when max fit the alarm to his car ...

Having had a nightmare connecting to an outbuilding and finally cabling, my first option would be to cable direct.

Another option would be to buy a modem that can take dd-wrt opensource firmware and crank the power beyond the levels allowed for home wifi. Connect it to your network as an AP as close to the bunker as you can get in the house

I have a pair of outdoor TP Link line of sight range extenders which will transmit over 1km. You are welcome to have these for the cost postage. They didn't work for me as I was connecting via 4 powerlink adaptors but may be ok in your situation if you can connect direct to the cable

It's worth mentioning that 5GHz falls off really fast if it has to go through walls.

I have an Asus RP-N12 that I can recommend. It has three operation modes so can be used as a wired booster, a wireless repeater or a wireless access point. We use it to connect a wired network printer in an unwired location at home, then take it with us on holiday in case we want to boost WiFi in a holiday cottage

Having had a nightmare connecting to an outbuilding and finally cabling, my first option would be to cable direct.

Another option would be to buy a modem that can take dd-wrt opensource firmware and crank the power beyond the levels allowed for home wifi. Connect it to your network as an AP as close to the bunker as you can get in the house

I have a pair of outdoor TP Link line of sight range extenders which will transmit over 1km. You are welcome to have these for the cost postage. They didn't work for me as I was connecting via 4 powerlink adaptors but may be ok in your situation if you can connect direct to the cable

This is the basic line it needs to take, dodging the play park obviously haha

dcc7a83f4120a0f72d5006b8a9fd8151.jpg

Our virgin router is against this wall so it’s as close as it will get. Do you think it would cope?

Thats no didtance at all. Your challenge is getting the signal through the wall of the house and the wall of the bunker. The line of sight devices would do it no problem but I'd definitely go wired direct. Screwfix sell the cable, connectors and crimping tool for not much money. I wired around the house, under a path, through a garage, under a patio to the outbuilding in less than a day.

Thats no didtance at all. Your challenge is getting the signal through the wall of the house and the wall of the bunker. The line of sight devices would do it no problem but I'd definitely go wired direct. Screwfix sell the cable, connectors and crimping tool for not much money. I wired around the house, under a path, through a garage, under a patio to the outbuilding in less than a day.

Yes I’m thinking wired would be best also now. I’ll be out and about today so I’ll drop by screwfix and see what’s on offer [emoji106]