https://www.shapeways.com/product/GB9H9Y8GY/bodum-bistro-burr-holder-0-8mm-finer-grind

Has anyone here tried this replacement part to improve the Bodum Bistro?

The Bodum has a espresso setting that gives quite a uniform grind that is about 0.750 mm under the microscope. Ideally it should be between 1/3 - 1/2 of that size from the conical burrs.

Thanks,

Alistair

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GB9H9Y8GY/bodum-bistro-burr-holder-0-8mm-finer-grind

Has anyone here tried this replacement part to improve the Bodum Bistro?

The Bodum has a espresso setting that gives quite a uniform grind that is about 0.750 mm under the microscope. Ideally it should be between 1/3 - 1/2 of that size from the conical burrs.

Thanks,

Alistair

Hey!

Careful with 3D printed parts that come in contact with foodstuffs.

I've been in touch with Shapeways to get food safety clearance/certificates for the materials they use. Not a chance.

As far as I know, and I work in food industry and operate different 3D printers myself, there's hardly any material that fulfills necessary requirements. Most of them being porous, therefore ideal for bacteria or fungi to settle in, many featuring poisonous, carcinogenic or otherwise unhealthy plasticisers. Laser sintered parts will have unmelted powder residues on their surface and in cavities which will only come off after time and maybe make their way in your body. Very often, washing parts during the finishing process involves poisonous chemicals - which agsin react with the part and may form unknown molecules...

Printer manufacturer Formlabs offer a dental material for dental lab tech where certain standards apply. But holy moly stuff is expensive!

I wouldn't recommend the use of 3D printed parts in a grinder

Hi Hasi,

You make a very good point. I checked and the coffee should not come into any contact with the plastic part as the hopper directs the beans into the metal burr.

The porous aspect could be solved by dipping or spraying but it's probably not worth the hassle.

Cheers,

Alistair

Sure I've read on the forum where someone has used this (or a similar) mod on a bistro grinder & while it improved it for espresso, it still wasn't great. IIrc the steps were too far apart dispite being able to go finer.

However, if it's all you can afford, it should be better than preground. Whether it's good enough for you is down to your tastebuds.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I have been using the Hario Skerton ceramic conical grinder for espresso. This is a slow grind and tiring for making more than one dose. I have used it with a power screwdriver for larger quantities. This takes a bit of setting-up, so I can justify getting a better grinder soon.

I've used one for a while now but it does have issues. Unfortunately you can now jam the machine as you can make the burrs contact each other, not good! Also I couldn't get a fine enough, or perhaps, consistent enough grind (possibly due to alignment issues?) even for a Gaggia Classic.

I use a ROK manual grinder instead

KitchenAid/Gaggia Dual Boiler Arduino Project