jimbojohn55

Pimp a Mhalkonig W1BN (Pope Sticker) Grinder- grandfather to the EK43

This grinder has made a brief appearance on the forum before as black beauty, but now its due for a good old fashioned pimping back to original condition.

In the original thread it took several guess's for someone to nail it as there is so little information out there about these apart from the fact that under the paint its gold and has a Mhalkonig sticker on it.

As its so rare and makes fleeting appearances on coffee forums (mostly in Germany) it deserves a proper detailed write up

Please be assured that no popes will be hurt or upset as part of this thread.

a quick look at condition

IMG_20181215_140935507.jpg

IMG_20181215_140243168.jpg

IMG_20181215_140254508.jpg

IMG_20181215_140310715.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

This grinder has made a brief appearance on the forum before as black beauty, but now its due for a good old fashioned pimping back to original condition.

In the original thread it took several guess's for someone to nail it as there is so little information out there about these apart from the fact that under the paint its gold and has a Mhalkonig sticker on it.

As its so rare and makes fleeting appearances on coffee forums (mostly in Germany) it deserves a proper detailed write up

Please be assured that no popes will be hurt or upset as part of this thread.

a quick look at condition

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37984[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]37985[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]37986[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]37987[/ATTACH]

Ah yes another pimp!! Christmas has come early

home - Sage dual boiler & Compak E8

work - Sage bambino plus & smart grinder

@SkateReclaimCreate

What size are the burrs?

impossible size 2 hole 52mm

IMG_20181212_093623266.jpg

Sooo I email Mhalkonig in Germany about the burrs and they forward my email to La Spazial in the Uk to help me with my enquiry, but no joy

The plot thickens because the original burrs (which match those found in other W1BN's) are -

1 composed of two different designs -

2 sand cast (and badly the centre hole is an ellipse)

3 the only part of the burrs that has ever been sharpened is the outside flat edge. (the rest still shows its sand casting texture)

4 This grinder spins at 2880 rpm !

5 The body and the carrier will both actually fit 54mm burrs (why recess the grinder body to take 54mm then fit 52mm?)

Where does this leave us - well the plan at the moment is to sharpen the original burrs and refit them, then go the 54mm three hole route if needed

Edited by jimbojohn55

keep calm and grind flat

Some history of Mhalkonig is needed at this point with the aid of Kaffi Netz forum in Germany (my apologies for the spelling Hasi)

Ok thi W1BN is often also refered to as the Mhalkonig 'Stawert' W1BN - the Stawert bit comes from a grinder manufacturer called -

Stawert Mühlenbau

If you google that name up comes a lot of pictures of grinders that carry Stawert or Mhalkonig branding - certainly Stawert had been making grinders since 1926 and working closely with Mhalkonig, so much so that they merged the two companies in 2005

So is the W1BN actually a Stawert, well no as it always carried the Mhalkonig stickers and brand - was it actually made by Mhalkonig, ive no idea, possibly it was made by Stawart and sold under the brand Mhalkonig, im guessing

keep calm and grind flat

The Pope bit - Ok so the early stickers and logo carried by the W1BN look like this

pope.jpg

apparently the Pope aka the catholic Church at the time felt that the Mhalkonig logo looked much too similar to a brand that they were using at the time, I like to think that he sent an albino killer priest round like a bad Dan Brown novel but I doubt it, anyway the result was that Mhalkonig changed their logo to the one in use today

Less pope like?

mal.jpg

689c22ae65c84533e31e5ef49537918e--da-vinci-code-paul-bettany.jpg "mehh it is acceptable"

this leaves me with a problem of having to sort out graphics a get some logos printed onto transfer paper - any bored graphics artists out there?

Edited by jimbojohn55

keep calm and grind flat

Yea I believe someone at Kaffee Netz () pointed out that Stawert built them based on a contract with Mahlkönig... apparently they've manufactured quite a few but very little survived.

Those burrs are really stupid to deal with nowadays. Also at Kaffee Netz I've read that 54mm would only fit when widening the recess in the body.

That leads me to ask... how much for a CNCed pair?

The Pope bit - Ok so the early stickers and logo carried by the W1BN look like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37991[/ATTACH]

apparently the Pope aka the catholic Church at the time felt that the Mhalkonig logo looked much too similar to a brand that they were using at the time, I like to think that he sent an albino killer priest round like a bad Dan Brown novel but I doubt it, anyway the result was that Mhalkonig changed their logo to the one in use today

Less pope like?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37990[/ATTACH]

this leaves me with a problem of having to sort out graphics a get some logos printed onto transfer paper - any bored graphics artists out there?

Not bored, but do you need it urgently?

(btw, can't see the image in question, TT shows a broken link icon)

Not bored, but do you need it urgently?

(btw, can't see the image in question, TT shows a broken link icon)

Its not urgent - ive a long way to go yet

pope.jpg

but I don't have a great skill set around graphics, any help would be appreciated :good:

keep calm and grind flat

Its not urgent - ive a long way to go yet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37993[/ATTACH]

but I don't have a great skill set around graphics, any help would be appreciated :good:

No problem

I can vectorise that for you. Usually print guys prefer 1:1 scale (even though it wouldn't make a diff), so could you supply the dimensions?

some more pictures of the strip down

IMG_20181215_140911950.jpg

The motor spindle has a spring mechanism at the rear so that when adjusting the burrs inwards the whole shaft can move with them

The motor is a nice simple induction type so no carbon brush's to wear out (also no sparks in a dusty environment)

The bearings at either end are the phosphor bronze type- the front one becomes noisy when the shaft is pushed back so a new bush is on order

16mm Internal dia x 22mm external dia x 20mm long £6 off flea bay

IMG_20181215_140843638.jpg

Edited by jimbojohn55

keep calm and grind flat

No problem

I can vectorise that for you. Usually print guys prefer 1:1 scale (even though it wouldn't make a diff), so could you supply the dimensions?

will do once im under the paint tomorrow - the example shown is from a picture on Kaffee Netz - but I should have the remains of a couple under the black paint:good:

keep calm and grind flat

the bag holding mechanism almost deservers its own thread, quality castings finished in a nickel plate.

all solid and working as well as the day it was made, a nice touch for something that could have been made from plastic and bent sheet metal

IMG_20181215_140254508.jpg

IMG_20181215_142100314.jpg

IMG_20181215_140310715.jpg

IMG_20181215_141358757.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

a nice touch is the white plastic liner to the exit chute to reduce retention (with mystery white powder)!. The finish of the mechanism shows that it was highly polished - there are a few hidden surfaces that show this, and although I like the satin look the paint has to come off and might as well head for the almost new look, so its buffer time - you know I cant resist,

IMG_20181215_145120614.jpg

IMG_20181215_142114018.jpg

IMG_20181215_144346474.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

looking into a bit of the history of Mhalkonig, ive come across this article -

http://gcrmag.com/marketing/view/mahlkoenigs-coffee-grinder-technology-and-craftsmanship

from this I can see that it wasn't till the 1960,s that Mhalkonig concentrated on coffee grinders up to then they had been supplying electric motors as well, it fits in with a joint enterprise to produce grinders with Stawert. Certainly the EK43 is a 30yr old design going back to the late 80's I believe - I haven't found a year of manufacture yet but the switch gear suggests 60,s ?

^ also that Mhalkonig have a poster in the factory that says "Keep Calm and Grind Flat" I suppose its what they do best ;)

Edited by jimbojohn55

keep calm and grind flat

^ also that Mhalkonig have a poster in the factory that says "Keep Calm and Grind Flat" I suppose its what they do best ;)

haha gotta have that!

removing the inner burr holder, this is a cast iron insert held in place by a grub screw at the base and 50yrs of grime, a soak overnight with penetrating oil eventually freed it up.

IMG_20181216_132313066.jpg

the insert needed to come out to expose the end of the bronze bush so it can be drifted out and replaced

IMG_20181216_132255013.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

The removal of the insert gives a chance to measure it properly and see if its possible to fit 54mm burrs - and it is,

even drilling and tapping the holes is now easy with the insert out - will still try with the original burrs first but its a fall back plan

IMG_20181216_140126397.jpg

IMG_20181216_135934155.jpg

Edited by jimbojohn55

keep calm and grind flat

also had a chance to remove the transformer / switch / and fuse, the interesting thing is that the transformer was made in the USA by 'Texas Instruments' and the part is dated 1960 although this may be patent date, at least we know we are looking at the 60's

IMG_20181216_133411510.jpg

the other thing is the wiring colours of the plug - white -live / black - neutral / Red -earth, so its certainly pre euro wiring regs

IMG_20181216_134611875.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

All that detective work love it!

All that detective work love it!

a vintage Mhalkonig requires a quality vintage detective

images.jpg

[video=youtube_share;jcXEtKSRI8Y]

Edited by jimbojohn55

keep calm and grind flat

Not that it would matter much, but here's an article about a Mahlkönig factory visit:

https://europeancoffeetrip.com/seeing-mahlkoenig-production/

You can see in one of the images how they approach burr-making. Looks like handicraft to me, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible for them to do custom stuff. Apart from German Eins-Zwo-Eins-Zwo correctness and inability to step out of the box :D

Fresh off the Cad board thanks to @Hasi - I am so grateful :good:

I just need to get some printed up on transfer paper with a colour laser - its also here for anyone to use in the future ;)

mhalkonig logo.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

Fresh off the Cad board thanks to @Hasi - I am so grateful :good:

I just need to get some printed up on transfer paper with a colour laser - its also here for anyone to use in the future ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38022[/ATTACH]

just you wait Mr Jim!

I was only sending you a sample for approval - not appraisal but thx anyways. Give me some more time and I'll do them shadows/outlines so it will match the original condition

Excited with the basic but drop shadow second colour would be great - that's my xmas done and dusted ;)

keep calm and grind flat