IGNORED

Can't dial in grind's with Barista Express.

Hey guys,

I need a bit of help as I'm reading and reading the forum but am feeling overwhelmed.

I've using the following and all my shots are on the higher end of the pressure gauge and not pouring "right".

- Single basket (stock)

- 10g

- 4 on the grinder

- Rave Signature Blend roasted on 28/11/18

As this is my first real machine I don't know what I'm doing wrong, maybe my tamping isn't 100% I don't know.

Help!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What beans are you using - a link to them may help? Are they the ones listed on Amazon? Hand roasted etc.

The standard setting for the outer burr is 6. 5 is finer according to the manual. Page 22 I'd suggest you calibrate it as I mention. Brush the burrs clean and refit the burr one setting finer. Ha

Clock starts counting when you press the button, that is the pre-infusion stage.

Ditch the single bakset

Weight your output .

How does it taste thought ...

What does not pouring right mean?

1. 29g

2. Bitter/burnt

3. Not a single stream, starts of streaming then stops and splutters.

Curious to know why ditch the single basket ??

Edited by pips
Weight your output .

How does it taste thought ...

What does not pouring right mean?

1. 29g

2. Bitter/burnt

3. Not a single stream, starts of streaming then stops and splutters.

Curious to know why ditch the single basket ??

They can be harder to dial in and tamp.

How long is the shot taking...

Hey guys,

I need a bit of help as I'm reading and reading the forum but am feeling overwhelmed.

I've using the following and all my shots are on the higher end of the pressure gauge and not pouring "right".

- Single basket (stock)

- 10g

- 4 on the grinder

- Rave Signature Blend roasted on 28/11/18

As this is my first real machine I don't know what I'm doing wrong, maybe my tamping isn't 100% I don't know.

Help!!

How does it taste

Really bitter more sour than anything.

Try pulling more out, grind a bit coarser ignore the pressure gauge, forget what the pour looks like.

Tamping is really simple, don't grind into the PF - grind into a cup/dry milk jug. Check you have 10.0g of grinds then tip them into the PF. A downward tap on mat/counter, then a couple of side taps with heel of your hand to level the grinds. Hardest part now - make sure the tamper is square to the basket, press down evenly, once, until you can't see the steel edge band any more. Done.

What does 50g from a 10.0g dose taste like?

When this tastes OK, change nothing but the basket, add 18.0g and pull 63g out.

10g can be too much for the Barista Express single. it sounds to me like you may be sending a lot of water through the over pressure valve and may have a bit of a tamping problem but maybe not. I'd suggest you do the following and actually but doubtful 10g may not be enough. Lowest grinder setting I ever went to on my BE was 6 but did use 4 on some duff beans that were not fresh roasted. I didn't need that low a setting on any other none fresh roasted beans I bought from several supermarkets.

I'd suggest you start again.

Set the grinder to 8 and waste some grinds - 3 or 4g to be certain that any from your current setting have gone.

Add 10 or 11g of grinds. Tamp - strain a little as that will help with consistency and try to keep the tamper level. Actually it's possible to correct that a touch with the tamper.

Now use the razor tool. Hopefully it will razor a small amount of grinds off. Tamp again. If it doesn't remove any grinds start again and add a bit more - say another gram.

Pull a shot noting how long it takes and the weight of the liquid that comes out. It will probably give too much out and the time may be short of 30 sec when the single button is used.

If too little comes out adjust the setting by one coarser. If too much one finer. Repeat the above which ever. Time should be circa 30 sec but as the BE produces volume based shots this may vary and in real terms anything between 25 to 35 sec may be ok. Each time you adjust the grinder waste a couple of grams of beans to get rid of the previous settings grinds.

When taste is what you want check what weight the razor tool leaves and use that as a basis. This means that you may need to use it manually. Maybe weighing the shot as it comes out with scales and noting the time. The double button should always give more than the single if the default on that gives to little, Once programmed I found it to be pretty good at maintaining shots but only if preparation is fairly consistent.

You can then if you want adjust that weight a bit each way to help with tuning. Remove grinds and the output will go up. Add and they will go down. Too little and the puck is likely to be rather wet after a shot. Too much will interfere with the grinder setting - it's like grinding finer. Some more can be added and perhaps the best guide as to how much more is the impression of the screw that holds the shower screen in place. If your lucky as it depends a bit on the bean a sensible max fill height is when you can see very slight signs of the hole in the screw - if it's dead clear there is too much in really but no harm in brewing with that much in but you'll need to get there slowly because it may be interfering with grinds expansion too much = weaker drink. It will get harder and harder to knock the puck out as well. Wet low pucks tend to leave some behind when they are knocked out

The above really relates to any basket you use but the single is a little different. You will very probably find that you need to get the pressure gauge going right up to the end of the espresso range - the solid blue sector. It is possible to brew with the gauge going into the hatched area past that but only with caution. Too far and you may get what you are currently getting and also wonder why the drip tray is filling up so quickly. If your using the double and brew like this the drink may be too strong. In that case aim for a lower reading. The info in the machines manual is more appropriate for that or higher or even lower for that matter.

The other aspect is ration of grams of grinds in to grams of liquid out. Don't assume that this must be a factor 2. On my BE I often found that the best ratio was higher than that - even over 3 at times. The only way of settling that is via taste. Personally I always tune to get the taste the bean should have according to the tasting notes for it but there is no harm at all in changing things once that has been found to get what suits the drinker.

John

-

10g can be too much for the Barista Express single. it sounds to me like you may be sending a lot of water through the over pressure valve and may have a bit of a tamping problem but maybe not. I'd suggest you do the following and actually but doubtful 10g may not be enough. Lowest grinder setting I ever went to on my BE was 6 but did use 4 on some duff beans that were not fresh roasted. I didn't need that low a setting on any other none fresh roasted beans I bought from several supermarkets.

I'd suggest you start again.

Set the grinder to 8 and waste some grinds - 3 or 4g to be certain that any from your current setting have gone.

Add 10 or 11g of grinds. Tamp - strain a little as that will help with consistency and try to keep the tamper level. Actually it's possible to correct that a touch with the tamper.

Now use the razor tool. Hopefully it will razor a small amount of grinds off. Tamp again. If it doesn't remove any grinds start again and add a bit more - say another gram.

Pull a shot noting how long it takes and the weight of the liquid that comes out. It will probably give too much out and the time may be short of 30 sec when the single button is used.

If too little comes out adjust the setting by one coarser. If too much one finer. Repeat the above which ever. Time should be circa 30 sec but as the BE produces volume based shots this may vary and in real terms anything between 25 to 35 sec may be ok. Each time you adjust the grinder waste a couple of grams of beans to get rid of the previous settings grinds.

When taste is what you want check what weight the razor tool leaves and use that as a basis. This means that you may need to use it manually. Maybe weighing the shot as it comes out with scales and noting the time. The double button should always give more than the single if the default on that gives to little, Once programmed I found it to be pretty good at maintaining shots but only if preparation is fairly consistent.

You can then if you want adjust that weight a bit each way to help with tuning. Remove grinds and the output will go up. Add and they will go down. Too little and the puck is likely to be rather wet after a shot. Too much will interfere with the grinder setting - it's like grinding finer. Some more can be added and perhaps the best guide as to how much more is the impression of the screw that holds the shower screen in place. If your lucky as it depends a bit on the bean a sensible max fill height is when you can see very slight signs of the hole in the screw - if it's dead clear there is too much in really but no harm in brewing with that much in but you'll need to get there slowly because it may be interfering with grinds expansion too much = weaker drink. It will get harder and harder to knock the puck out as well. Wet low pucks tend to leave some behind when they are knocked out

The above really relates to any basket you use but the single is a little different. You will very probably find that you need to get the pressure gauge going right up to the end of the espresso range - the solid blue sector. It is possible to brew with the gauge going into the hatched area past that but only with caution. Too far and you may get what you are currently getting and also wonder why the drip tray is filling up so quickly. If your using the double and brew like this the drink may be too strong. In that case aim for a lower reading. The info in the machines manual is more appropriate for that or higher or even lower for that matter.

The other aspect is ration of grams of grinds in to grams of liquid out. Don't assume that this must be a factor 2. On my BE I often found that the best ratio was higher than that - even over 3 at times. The only way of settling that is via taste. Personally I always tune to get the taste the bean should have according to the tasting notes for it but there is no harm at all in changing things once that has been found to get what suits the drinker.

John

-

I'm amazed at the detailed depth and knowledge of your reply, I'm sure it'll help me and someone else in the distant future.

I'll sure to follow your guidelines tomorrow morning thanks !!

I'm amazed at the detailed depth and knowledge of your reply, I'm sure it'll help me and someone else in the distant future.

I'll sure to follow your guidelines tomorrow morning thanks !!

Hope it helps. It should give you a solid starting point. Past that you should try changing things now and again. For instance rather than the single a low dose in the double, maybe it's best to work with a little less grinds in than the razor tool leaves - and etc. The only way to find out is to try it.

John

-

• 2 years later...

Hi guys looking for a bit of help if I can.  I’m having trouble with my BE pressure using Union Revelation fresh beans 1/3/21- 1kg bought 500g left 😆 

Im using the double single wall basket weighing out 18g although tried 17.5g,19g and 20g but pressure is terrible.

Side grind setting was on 8 and every time I’ve had to come down 1 and retry but still pressure is poor. 

Im waiting on a Distributor and Tamper tool coming. 

18g in - 17.5g out.

I tried putting the empty Double Wall filter in and flushed a shot. Pressure 12 O Clock and 66g of water out after I emptied the water from the PF.

Im now down at grind 1 and I’m only getting to about 9 O Clock. 

Sorry I know you guys like videos but that would be a whole new forum for me lol.

What beans are you using - a link to them may help? Are they the ones listed on Amazon? Hand roasted etc.

• Like 1

https://unionroasted.com/products/revelation-signature-espresso?variant=19537333190774&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyoeCBhCTARIsAOfpKxjVk6t_5IFitfn3iCCKFkAVYnqy2UKBkiBJPS1KYHQVibsj_ntc8hMaArK0EALw_wcB

Hi thanks for the reply hope the link helps sorry might not have been clear in previous post but got them freshly roasted from Union Coffee on the 1st of March. Total novice when it comes to anything related to the bean to cup machines, coffee beans etc so any advice would be very welcome. Not even sure if Union Coffee is good but looked online for places that roast the beans to order. I’ve also been watching a lot of videos with Hoon being one of the ones I watched the most. 
Recently watched one were he tells you if you have exhausted all avenues when it comes to dialing in and getting nowhere near the pressure you should be getting then it’s ok to change the internal settings of the burr grinder which has a default at 6. 
Apart from not having the Distribution and Tamper tool I think I’ve did everything to get that dial up to around the 12 but I’m not even close.

Im sitting at 1 and although it wasn’t as bad tasting as others it clearly wasn’t right and I wouldn’t be happy paying nearly £600 for something that I’m making do with. So last night before I went up to my bed I decided to change the internal burr setting from 6 down to 2. I also moved the side grind from 1 back up to 9 so in the morning I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a good result that will see me having more room to make the adjustments I need to make a decent espresso.  I love Latte if you have any tips on a nice coffee bean that would be great.  I did get Beans from Amazon the first time I ordered but the freshness of the roast wasn’t great Infact it was nearly 2 months old so learned a lesson there. Even if you knew of a site that did freshly roasted beans to order. I’ve looked at Rave as a possibility. 

Well woke up early and had to go down and try the new settings. 19g double single wall basket, grind 9 was way to fast so went down to 6 and was much better. Better speed and also hit 12 o clock on the dial. Tasted the shot and was the best one yet by a distance. Only I’m unsure about when I start the timer. Is it when I hit the button. Or is it when the first drop hits the cup because if it’s the latter I’m only getting 16 seconds.