• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We’re going to reveal the origin and processing tomorrow so anyone who hasn’t had a guess yet, now is the time!
Think I'm gonna stick with a Rocko Mountain Special Reserve washed process.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Really enjoying this now. Yesterday I found it improved quite a bit over the couple of days I was away from home.

18 > 33 in 30sec with a 5 sec PI = lovely flat white!

Havent a clue what it is but I do find it enjoyable. Reminds me of Rocky Mountain from memory.

ECM Synchronika, Kafatek Monolith Flat, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCDv3 Distribution Tool, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy, Aeropress, Aergrind, notNeutral Cups

Chalk and cheese flat white vs pour over. Flat white sweet but not much else. Pour over - different story - blueberry/strawberry and creamy. My money's on an Ethiopian natural - possibly honey processed.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Chalk and cheese flat white vs pour over. Flat white sweet but not much else. Pour over - different story - blueberry/strawberry and creamy. My money's on an Ethiopian natural - possibly honey processed.

Are you always getting those notes in pour over? This coffee seems very fussy, if I extract outside of the window I lose all the goodness and just get some generic juiciness.

No correct origin guesses as of yet :D

These beans don't give up the goods easily. First Chemex came in way under-extracted. Giving the bloom an energetic stir plus a few stirs following final pour got extraction yield up to the sweet zone of close to 20% where the flavour notes shine.

These beans don't give up the goods easily. First Chemex came in way under-extracted. Giving the bloom an energetic stir plus a few stirs following final pour got extraction yield up to the sweet zone of close to 20% where the flavour notes shine.
Think this is a pertinent observation...I took some away with me over new years and only had my Porlex...couldn't get anything like what I was getting at home with a decent grinder.
Are you always getting those notes in pour over? This coffee seems very fussy, if I extract outside of the window I lose all the goodness and just get some generic juiciness.

No correct origin guesses as of yet :D

Chemex: Grind slightly finer than for most beans 17.5 on EK to usual ballpart of 19.

31grms > 500grms water at 98c. 60grms bloom and stir well - + 140grms at 30secs - + 100grms at 1 minute and remainder at 100grms at 1min 30secs and 2mins. Full draw down at 3min 40secs. Slurry stirred and leveled after final pour. Flavour shine at EY 20%. First brew was 18.3% at slightly coarser grind with no stirring.

This is the only bean I've every stirred during bloom. Got some Kenyan that's at the other end of the extraction ball park - having trouble bringing EY down.

Mrs.MaB...woody smell/nose, tastes like twiglets? After taste develops to treacle/dark sugar...Smooth...

Just don't ask where she gets any of that from probably the yaks milk she's diluting it with!!!

"I like coffee because it gives me the illusion that I might just be awake."

Mr.MaB...takes it neat, i.e. espresso, starts with raspberrys, then some sort of stone fruit, finally ending with long lasting chocolate aftertaste, delish . 15/34 in X secs.

As for origin I haven't a clue, so taking a complete stab in the dark, and taking a clue supplied via Mrs.MaB. I'm going Inner Mongolia, the beans having been twice passed through a yak and then fermented in its milk for a fortnight...and didn't it do them a world of wonderment...these are simply delish delish delish

A hugh big thankyou to all who organized this, look forward to trying another if there going to be anything like these.

"I like coffee because it gives me the illusion that I might just be awake."

Got some nicer, sweeter espressos after a frustrating start! Might also be due to freezing the beans for a short period of time as I was away... 1:2.5 ratio with shorter extraction seems to work better, but I will try tightening the grind a bit too to see if it can improve further.

My guess is on Colombian. Washed. Caturra.

Struggling with guesses with this one but want to put a guess in before the reveal so going to say Rwandan Natural (not sure if that's been said already)

This bean really shone in a French press yesterday afternoon so would recommend trying one to anyone still struggling with it but I've been really enjoying it in espresso

Niche Zero || Feld2 || Aergrind

Profitec Pro 500 PID || Acaia Lunar

Kalita Wave || V60 || Aeropress || Clever Dripper || French Press

Evening all, it’s time to let you all in on the details about this coffee.

I’m not at all surprised that this one has been confusing people, it confused me too when I first tried it. I’d have put my money on a natural Ethiopian for sure (and I’d have been wrong), the flavour notes we were getting were classic Yirg but there is also a boldness and a juiciness that you just don’t tend to see in this way from Ethiopian coffee.

So, it is a natural but it is from……….. Honduras! It’s a small experimental microlot from a farmer called Nely Suyapa Orelllana. The coffee is grown on her farm, Las Gemelas (named after her twin daughters who she intends to hand the farm to) which is located close to the border of Guatemala and El Salvador in the Copan region.

The coffee itself is red and yellow Catuai and it’s beautifully processed, extremely clean with just a hint of that natural funk. We’re used to earthy, bold coffee from Honduras but nothing like this one. Like some of you may have found, it’s not necessarily the easiest coffee to work with but it does reward perseverance, we’ve had some staggeringly good brews from it (and a fair few that were just a bit meh).

The main reason I chose this one for LSOL was that I thought it was a good opportunity to present something a bit unusual - flavours from Ethiopia with body that you tend to associate more with centrals.

We’ll get this one on the webshop soon but I expect it wont last more than a month or two. Luckily we have more tasty coffee on the way for you, including the last of our Ethiopian coffee for this year and another beautiful coffee from Rwanda.

Hope you enjoyed this one everybody, I really enjoyed reading your comments. LSOL is awesome and you’re all ace.

Well I never!!!!! You lean something every day :)

Just finished ours, it got even better right at the end. Thanks very much @foundrycoffeeroasters.com for such an interesting LSOL and for getting it out in time for Christmas! You’re great :)

And thanks as always to @fatboyslim and whoever else had a hand in sorting this! You’re great too :) :)

^^^^^^*^

What Mildred said! Thanks Foundry, FBS and Daren. Really enjoyed these beans

Niche Grinder, V60, Hario Switch, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

Very interesting. I found the funk was quite massive about 10 or so days post roast. By my last shot (this morning) that had really subsided and become more subtle.

For me this was a brilliant month. I don't remember experiencing a bean which changes so much over time. Thanks to all involved. Enjoyed reading all the different interpretations as well. Loving LSOL!!

Thanks all, a very very enjoyable LSOL, will be keeping an eye out for it hitting the webstore. Got a Foundry Sub for Xmas so it's been a very Foundry 2019 for me so far and couldn't be happier to be honest!

Niche Zero || Feld2 || Aergrind

Profitec Pro 500 PID || Acaia Lunar

Kalita Wave || V60 || Aeropress || Clever Dripper || French Press

Thank you for the amazing coffee guys, I’ve really enjoyed this and never had a coffee change as much as this each day (in a delicious way), even on my basic equipment I’ve not had a bad cup. Keep up the good work sourcing these coffees for us.

Now hanging my head in shame. I never got the funk from this one.

That's it. L1 and Mythos 1 will shortly be up for sale - I'll spend my days drinking mellow brids

Thanks for the coffee - its what LSOL should be all about

a grinder a lever and some beans

Ah I've had one natural from Honduras, which I got from Rave back at Christmas 2017. It was funky and really surprised me, but this one surpassed it! I didn't even consider it to be the same origin...

Shame others haven't had the same experience, I've really enjoyed this one. Out of my top 3 LSOLs I think 2 have been foundry now...

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers...