I’m loving this as Kalita and clever dripper and just made a delicious flat white. Getting plenty of fruit and floral and my total guess, which lacks any skill or knowledge, is that it’s a washed Ethiopian

Niche Grinder, V60, Hario Switch, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38edb0f0d802f66a8573b5028da78a2f.jpg second coffee, tightened up grind, 19 in 37.5 out in 52 seconds, totally different coffee this time, a subtle funk of a natural and now a very floral taste in the cup with milk
38edb0f0d802f66a8573b5028da78a2f.jpg second coffee, tightened up grind, 19 in 37.5 out in 52 seconds, totally different coffee this time, a subtle funk of a natural and now a very floral taste in the cup with milk

Exactly! This coffee has a lot going on and we’ve found the same, it’s completely possible to make very different brews when you tweak things a bit. We roasted an extra batch of this for the new coffee bar and it’ll taking over espresso duties down there in the next couple of days, can’t wait.

Just made 2 espressos.. Thought I'd tighten the grind a bit and do a longer preinfuse. 18 > 36.2 (with a tail off from 28g to line pressure). Not bad, think it's better than normal automatic machine preinfusion.

Then went a little bit silly and altered the grind from 4 to 2.5 on the EK (Turkish burrs) Was abut 45 seconds until it started dripping (lighter tamp as well). 18>37 in 76 seconds with a ramp down from 28g. Killed the bite, lot smoother. Does remind me of the Rocko as well that Foundry do that I remember having at the Rave do the the other year.

Popular guesses seam to be a Guatemalan, or Ethiopian... So I'll be different and say Kenyan. Whatever it is it's nice and I think I'll be swapping this into my hopper for my daily brew. Downside is it'll go very quickly lol

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Flat whites the last couple of days. Very tight grind (down to 1.25 on the monolith) and EYs just creeping over 18%. I love this sort of coffee. Foundry has a Kenyan at some point that was very blueberry and it is reminiscent of that. Maybe I tasted something nutty or chocolatey in there too. I think I’ll try some straight espresso before the Sunday ride tomorrow.

Londinium-R - Kafatek Monolith Flat (yes, that one) 

I rarely make espresso out of LSOL (mainly because I'm crap at it), but I had a really funky flat white from a natural Burundi at Taylor Street recently that tasted like strawberry and cream, so I thought I'd give these a go (obligatory picture of my attempted latte are below...). Quite a similar taste actually, which I'm pleased with!

So we've heard Guatemalan and Ethiopian so far, but the only thing recently I can compare it to is that natural from Burundi, so that's my wild guess...

20181229_095859.jpg

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

I rarely make espresso out of LSOL (mainly because I'm crap at it), but I had a really funky flat white from a natural Burundi at Taylor Street recently that tasted like strawberry and cream, so I thought I'd give these a go (obligatory picture of my attempted latte are below...). Quite a similar taste actually, which I'm pleased with!

So we've heard Guatemalan and Ethiopian so far, but the only thing recently I can compare it to is that natural from Burundi, so that's my wild guess...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38266[/ATTACH]

Hmm, lots of people going for natural. Interesting. Happy New Year everyone!

Hmm, lots of people going for natural. Interesting. Happy New Year everyone!

Ah that was the part I was confident about... Really thought it was too funky for anything else! Surely not washed... Honey process?!

Happy new year :)

Definitely getting parma violets in todays Kalita 15/250g, 2:55, 2+7 on the feldgrind. Delicious. Definitely my favourite coffee in 2019 but possibly 2018 too :)

Niche Grinder, V60, Hario Switch, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

Finished my bag this morning, really enjoyed it, one of my favourite coffees this year (well last year now I suppose).

I'm guessing this is an Ethiopian natural, has a definite funky fruitiness and some floral undertones to it, with a hint of nuttiness as well. I'm rubbish at narrowing down the flavous so that's the best I can do. Looking forward to the big reveal...

Thanks for organising another great LSOL, and well done to Foundry for pulling this off in such a short timeframe.

Been enjoying this as a flat white the past couple of days & can't help but wonderif there's a quality level above Rocko Mountain Reserve.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Working really well as a flat white here too!

Pretty certain it's a natural and reminds me of some Ethiopians I've had so (surprise surprise) I'll go Ethiopian Natural!!

Loving it chaps, thanks again for organising :)

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Opened the bag this morning. Not having much joy with it yet - really struggling so far! Stuck with the ratio of 1:3 with EK43s (coffee burrs), 8s PI on L-R. Had total shot times of 21s, 29s and 35s.

Thinking of going for 1:2.5 ratio and/or longer shot time... any tips?

Opened the bag this morning. Not having much joy with it yet - really struggling so far! Stuck with the ratio of 1:3 with EK43s (coffee burrs), 8s PI on L-R. Had total shot times of 21s, 29s and 35s.

Longer suited us. I’m going 15g/40s/35g

Bung it through the Niche...simples

"I like coffee because it gives me the illusion that I might just be awake."

Only if you rescue Rhys' la pav from it's prison of a cupboard & 'spro it!

You mean this one.? :whistle:

45655239065_a43b1d9bfb_b.jpg

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

What's the lickle grinder hiding behind it?

Crap.. It's an Isomac Macinino Professionale. The grind chamber is cracked so so spills coffee into the base, and the burr carrier was once broken and has been glued back together. It came with the la Pavoni when I bought it. The bits are bakelite/plastic and probably not worth fixing. My late father used to use for his V60 until the chamber broke.

Arrghh stop adding milk to it!

Haha! Well you have to try all the options... Right?!

Best results for me definitely through the kalita and black, but have to admit it was a really intriguing flat white...!