Rom

ECM Synchronica or Profitec 700 or.....

Hopefully this time next week I will be collecting my Mythos CP

Then the next upgrade will be my machine...

At the moment I’m think about these options:

ECM Synchronika

Profitec 700

Londinium

thoights on the above would be appreciated and on anything else I should be looking at in this price range.

At the moment I’m think about these options:

ECM Synchronika

Profitec 700

Londinium

thoights on the above would be appreciated and on anything else I should be looking at in this price range.

I am not being arsey, but your list only needs the addition of a Rocket of some sort to make it soooooooo boring and predictable! Are you going to BB? If so, have a look at the top end Lelit or if you want a wild crd, an Orchestrale Nota which will still be burbling away in 100 years as it is built to industrial standards. Do not do what many do which is glance at specs and say no HX for example

Hum . . . the L-R isn't boring!!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

... and on anything else I should be looking at in this price range.

As it hasn't been mentioned - consider the ACS Vesuvius - a beautifully made and highly flexible (pressure profiling) machine. But I like all your other options too (boring or not)!

Vesuvius | Niche grinder | Mazzer Super Jolly | This week I shall mostly be drinking ... Foundry - Rio Magdalena, Colombia

P1: 2 [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] ('lever profile')

@dfk41

....please accept my full apology for being ‘predictable’ & ‘boring’ ;)

I thought the forum was here for learning and sharing experiences at all levels? - including the beginner through to the pro?

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the other machines that I wasn’t aware of, I’ll have a look at them :coffee:

Forgot to mention @dfk41 - if I buy new I will be going to BB. But open to 2nd hand machines as and when I’ve got some money saved

@dfk41

....please accept my full apology for being ‘predictable’ & ‘boring’ ;)

I thought the forum was here for learning and sharing experiences at all levels? - including the beginner through to the pro?

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the other machines that I wasn’t aware of, I’ll have a look at them :coffee:

I was not being arsey, as I pointed out......when you buy a machine, it is a very personal thing. Most people will simply tell you what they have, because they are convinced that they made the right decision @MildredM......I did nor say the LR was boring, I said the list it is was on was.......all I am saying, is have a good look around

I know ^^^ the typed word is no substitute for the spoken ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

I was not being arsey, as I pointed out......when you buy a machine, it is a very personal thing. Most people will simply tell you what they have, because they are convinced that they made the right decision @MildredM......I did nor say the LR was boring, I said the list it is was on was.......all I am saying, is have a good look around
@dfk41 would you like someone to proof read your posts :):):)

I really like my Profitec 700

@dfk41 would you like someone to proof read your posts :):):)

I really like my Profitec 700

But dfk really likes his Nota!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Two top end dual boilers that you'd struggle to differentiate between other than looks.

The ECM more "bling" the profitec more "industrial" looking. Taste wise and side by side I guess you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference as the internals are damn near identical and they both run flat pressure profile rotary pumps. The ECM has joysticks the profi spring valves on steam/hotwater that are very much personal preference or aesthetic in difference.

Then we have a prosumer lever machine thrown in the mix. A totally different beast with a totally different workflow and the shots will also be quite, you guessed it, different.

My advice would be to do some more research and actually experience the machines first hand before deciding.

There is a synchronika for sale on the forum that would be quite the saving on buying new if that's what you decide on.

Edited by ATZ

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

Yes and I would be quite happy if no one else bought o e!

But dfk really likes his Nota!

Thats why I thought I’d start asking questions early so I can get peoples opinions and do a bit more research.

At the moment I’ve got an ECM hx with stainless boiler and rotary pump. It has the Tap type valves for steam and water, I prefer these compared to the joysticks but that wouldn’t put me off getting the right machine.

This is similar to what I’ve got but mine is stainless boiler not copper.

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/brands/ecm-barista-grinder-package.html

Two top end dual boilers that you'd struggle to differentiate between other than looks.

The ECM more "bling" the profitec more "industrial" looking. Taste wise and side by side I guess you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference as the internals are damn near identical and they both run flat pressure profile rotary pumps. The ECM has joysticks the profi spring valves on steam/hotwater that are very much personal preference or aesthetic in difference.

Then we have a prosumer lever machine thrown in the mix. A totally different beast with a totally different workflow and the shots will also be quite, you guessed it, different.

My advice would be to do some more research and actually experience the machines first hand before deciding.

There is a synchronika for sale on the forum that would be quite the saving on buying new if that's what you decide on.

It's mentioned above the Vesuvius could be a option.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Thats why I thought I’d start asking questions early so I can get peoples opinions and do a bit more research.

At the moment I’ve got an ECM hx with stainless boiler and rotary pump. It has the Tap type valves for steam and water, I prefer these compared to the joysticks but that wouldn’t put me off getting the right machine.

This is similar to what I’ve got but mine is stainless boiler not copper.

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/brands/ecm-barista-grinder-package.html

If you already have a machine with a rotary pump (albeit a HX) I seriously doubt you'd be able to taste much, if any, difference in the cup going to the 700 or Synchronika.

You'd essentially be paying for looks, bells and whistles like shot timers.

Do you want to experiment with different water temperatures or make lots of drinks back to back?

No I don’t make lots of drinks back to back, or not very often.

We only drink espresso or americano so the steam boiler would be switched off.

Perhaps I should stick with what I’ve got then?

No I don’t make lots of drinks back to back, or not very often.

We only drink espresso or americano so the steam boiler would be switched off.

Perhaps I should stick with what I’ve got then?

If you're espresso and black drink based then maybe a dual boiler would be worth the investment. a) to play with different shot water temperature easier without flushing and b) to enable you to switch off the steam boiler.

I drink mostly espresso and I've just invested in a lever for reference...

The temperature adjustment was the one thing I wanted a new machine for.. flushing is a bit of a pain sometimes. But the drinks I make are ok for now.. and the Mythos will make things easier. I loved my Royal but I’m done with single dosing for now...

Hum . . . the L-R isn't boring!!
Might be if you haven't got one to polish and admire, play with, have not even seen one in the flesh let alone played with one, got all the lovely bits and bobs in wenge which come with one, the picture on the wall etc etc not that I'm envious at all

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

You have had a lot of advice.

1. You will find a big difference between a thermally accurate dual boiler and an HX machine, this difference will be in consistency and taste. Not all dual boilers are thermally accurate...but those that are consistently produce a good shot

2. A lever machine isn't really thermally accurate and you cannot select shot temperature. However they are silent in operation, unless a boiler is filling from an internal tank. They do have slightly more demanding space requirements. Dual boiler lever machines are a sensible development the manufacturers should adopt.

3. Most/all Dual boilers nowadays can have the service boiler switched off, this is a good thing

4. Separation of brewing and steaming is a good thing on a well designed dual boiler as steam pressure temperature doesn't influence shot temperature or flush size.

I would personally like to see HXs gradually be phased out by manufacturers in favour of dual boiler technology. For the cost of HXs they could just as easily be making dual boilers, arguably less profitable for them, but it's the right way to go. I would consider your choice of dual boiler carefully.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

You have had a lot of advice.

1. You will find a big difference between a thermally accurate dual boiler and an HX machine, this difference will be in consistency and taste. Not all dual boilers are thermally accurate...but those that are consistently produce a good shot

2. A lever machine isn't really thermally accurate and you cannot select shot temperature. However they are silent in operation, unless a boiler is filling from an internal tank. They do have slightly more demanding space requirements. Dual boiler lever machines are a sensible development the manufacturers should adopt.

3. Most/all Dual boilers nowadays can have the service boiler switched off, this is a good thing

4. Separation of brewing and steaming is a good thing on a well designed dual boiler as steam pressure temperature doesn't influence shot temperature or flush size.

I would personally like to see HXs gradually be phased out by manufacturers in favour of dual boiler technology. For the cost of HXs they could just as easily be making dual boilers, arguably less profitable for them, but it's the right way to go. I would consider your choice of dual boiler carefully.

@DavecUK isn't the accuracy or a lever moot to a degree? The water hitting the group will always be consistent temp but it's the mass of thr group itself that provides that stability as I understand?

Kinda the opposite of an E61

Not really..

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Not really..
I suppose it depends on the lever too mind. Dipper, HX or an electrically augmented group.

@DavecUK isn't the accuracy or a lever moot to a degree? The water hitting the group will always be consistent temp but it's the mass of thr group itself that provides that stability as I understand?

Kinda the opposite of an E61

Why the opposite? Is the point of the mass of the E61 group to stabilise the temperature of the water exiting the group?

May I suggest to the OP: if the OP doesn’t make milk drinks, why have a dual boiler machine? Would it be s good idea for the water in the service boiler be there lukewarm most of the time?

If the OP wants temperature stability, shouldnt an ECM Classika or a Bezzera Unica do the trick? Or even a Gaggia Classic with a PID?