JimBean1

Done it - decent latte art with a pod machine!

As mentioned in another post I recently swapped my previous manual setup with a Sage Creatista pod machine so the family can also enjoy the coffee fun. I've been determined to get the best out of it (I'm not a fan of pod coffee) using the latest gadgets and gizmos and I've finally nailed it - granted the milk is a bit loose but I think one more setting up and it should be fine.

If anyone is interested I've done this with the following kit:

• Rave Christmas blend dark beans (freshly roasted)
  • Rhinowares hand grinder on the finest setting
  • WayCap stainless steel reusable pods
  • Sage Creatista Plus

Happy Days!!! :)

I may do a video if I can figure out how to video myself effectively.

IMG_20181208_065912059.jpg

IMG_20181208_065954287.jpg

IMG_20181208_065939845.jpg

Sage Creatista Plus | Rhinowares Hand Grinder | Bialetti Moka

Fantastic! Don’t miss the Christmas Latte Art Pour Down! This afternoon, Sunday night,nor Tuesday afternoon sessions still to go :)

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?47474-Session-2-2pm-Saturday-December-8th-Christmas-Pour-Down-2018

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

How did you find dialling in the refillable pod?

Beans>Grinders>Machines

As mentioned in another post I recently swapped my previous manual setup with a Sage Creatista pod machine so the family can also enjoy the coffee fun. I've been determined to get the best out of it (I'm not a fan of pod coffee) using the latest gadgets and gizmos and I've finally nailed it - granted the milk is a bit loose but I think one more setting up and it should be fine.

If anyone is interested I've done this with the following kit:

• Rave Christmas blend dark beans (freshly roasted)
  • Rhinowares hand grinder on the finest setting
  • WayCap stainless steel reusable pods
  • Sage Creatista Plus

Happy Days!!! :)

I may do a video if I can figure out how to video myself effectively.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37849[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37850[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37851[/ATTACH]

Jim, Mrs.MaB has ordered a pair of WayCap's for her brother to use with his Nespresso, apart from she needn't have bothered do you have any hints and tips from your experience of them that she may be able to pass on? She will be passing on the web/youtube links but if you have learnt anything not mentioned on either that would be useful to know she would appreciate your knowledge. Thank you

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Jim, Mrs.MaB has ordered a pair of WayCap's for her brother to use with his Nespresso, apart from she needn't have bothered do you have any hints and tips from your experience of them that she may be able to pass on? She will be passing on the web/youtube links but if you have learnt anything not mentioned on either that would be useful to know she would appreciate your knowledge. Thank you

@Rakesh @MinesAbeer To be honest I don't think it's going to be as good as I'd hoped it would. The best I've got so far is the images you see here with two WayCaps. I ground freshly roasted Christmas blend from Rave Coffee in my hand grinder as fine as it would go and I discovered that there seems to be basically no margin at all between over-extraction and under-extraction. With the grind as fine as I could get it and only very light tamping I got under-extraction; with the same grind and no tamping it just pours through - bit frustrating! I think the crux of it is that the pods are too small to hold enough ground coffee to give a decent, dark, rich extraction and I'm thinking the pumps just aren't great on these machines.

The crema is very light and because of the tiny size of the pods, if there is any decent stream it quickly saturates the coffee and starts to pour through.

I think this is about as good as I'm going to get with this machine although more than happy to see anyone else improve on it.

Sage Creatista Plus | Rhinowares Hand Grinder | Bialetti Moka

I too have this machine at the moment for purely convenience purposes as I often forget to roast beans ahead of time or forget to set my timer or press the switch on my Gaggia Classic to come on in the morning!

I find it's pretty decent. Using Nespresso pods and running a blank shot to preheat things it never produces a bad shot. The milk system is also fantastic. The taste profile/notes are there with Nespresso but it just lacks a bit of proper crema and density, but you have to remember the small dose.

I've tried the Waycap too and can get 5g in with 25ml out in 25 seconds using a "not quite espresso" grind with the 5 hole screen with a brew in the cup temp at 68°C - so all in all not bad!

I'm looking to swap out the Gaggia for an Oracle (Touch) soon but I think the Creatista will stay for pure convenience! It produces a coffee that your average coffee drinker likes so it's great if people are over visiting, you can rattle out milk drinks super quick and easy.

KitchenAid/Gaggia Dual Boiler Arduino Project