Sign in to follow this  
dfk41

Sowden

These have often fascinated me, and now that I have a Niche (well, nearly!) I would like to settle down to one brew method. I have a Trinity One but never use it. I have a Clever and quite like using that. I have seen this on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sowden-Porcelain-Stainless-Filter-Melamine/dp/B00OD20QSW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1544137738&sr=8-2&keywords=sowden+softbrew+coffee

Is there any real difference between this and the smaller Oscar model? Does anyone have one sitting gathering dust and they would like to move it on?

 You did not get me this time 

I have Sowden James 500ml I am happy to let go for £25 posted? It’s black with a yellow lid.

It's not for you David, trust me.

That said, what size do you want to play with? I have a 400, 800 & a chipped & well used 1200.

You are welcome to try before you buy.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

I have Sowden James 500ml I am happy to let go for £25 posted? It’s black with a yellow lid.

That sounds canny! Can I just ask if this is the porcelain one or not? And if you could, a pic would be nice please PPapa

It's not for you David, trust me.

That said, what size do you want to play with? I have a 400, 800 & a chipped & well used 1200.

You are welcome to try before you buy.

You know me Mark. I love a challenge! I know the one steep is difficult, but there agin, if you understand the reason why, then you either accommodate it or not. Ideally, something around the one litre size then I can make two decent mugs for when a pal comes around. Presumably you are not going to cause a problem by only half filling a one litre for individual use?

Will take @£25 please.

Mark, I know you offered me a lend but it was my birthday last week and even though I promised not to start collecting coffee bumph again.....just this once!

Half filling means a lot of vacant space & heat loss (cold coffee &/or bad result).

The 400 makes a generous mug, 3mugs from the 800, 4 mugs from the 1200. They made some of the most delicious coffee I have ever had, with the least faff & input, but they are slow. 40 to 70min brew times depending on size.

That sounds canny! Can I just ask if this is the porcelain one or not? And if you could, a pic would be nice please PPapa

It is. Here are some pictures, with the dust washed away...

6e10c70e8101a5aa602251a75ee62cf8.jpg

78eb63e32a1137c665e51bf63e6081b9.jpg

2325c36c64e907953b52a6bc75a40933.jpg

2fff0236c503314102404fb77dfe3d54.jpg

Will take @£25 please.

Mark, I know you offered me a lend but it was my birthday last week and even though I promised not to start collecting coffee bumph again.....just this once!

Many happy returns :-)

Champion!

Thanks, but being 61 is not a lot to celebrate! Still, it is nearly 12 months now since I escaped the clutches on Intensive Care, so perhaps life ain't all that bad! I also want to try out a different coffee type to the espresso I ate my normal shots on. I am not going to go as far as saying Light, but lets just say lighter!

I promised not to start collecting coffee bumph again.....just this once!

....and the rest:)

Happy belated birthday mate.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Happy belated birthday David. Hope your cup was filled with delicious coffee and paired with cake to match.

M&S Coffee and Walnut cake is epic, but loaded with calories.

Expobar Office Leva, Gaggia Classic, Acaia Pearl Scales, Sage Smart Grinder, Ascaso i Mini Doser Grinder, Zassenhaus Hand Grinder, EB Labs Mesh Filter, AeroPress, IMS 18grm 25grm Baskets

Memory jogged... now where is my Sowden :waiting:

i used to put one (a Sowden) to brew while I was having a swift Chemex :good:

belated Happy Birthday :coffee: