jimbojohn55

Pimp a Bruni Brunella

I knew @MildredM would act as your middle man... eyeing grind size through her monocle, cutting a slice of the (pork) pie... err cylinder and walking away with a steaming cup of the finest Lever espresso. Life is good!

I reckon I can just spy my vernier poking out of my inside pocket, can you? :) :) :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

To get things back on track a quick glimpse of the gold first coat

IMG_20190105_151804974.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

@jimbojohn55 you have so many threads that you lose track of what you are posting in! Am sure the lovely lever has not morphed into a golden dragon

AKA Toffee chips

@jimbojohn55 you have so many threads that you lose track of what you are posting in! Am sure the lovely lever has not morphed into a golden dragon
Haha I was still half asleep

keep calm and grind flat

I reckon you’re making your own Oscar!! You deserve an award - better start writing your speech now!!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Haha I was still half asleep
same here when I clicked the Like button

still a lovely golden dragon, though!

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

Maybe he's decided to turn thwm into an all in one system!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

after a busy week with work I managed to get back in the bunker, working on the drip tray

First cut a blank for the new tray to create a drain insert

IMG_20190106_164311599_HDR.jpg

Then sandwich a template to it to mark the holes out

IMG_20190106_164307232_HDR.jpg

Quick spray with a water based acrylic to mark the holes out

IMG_20190106_164559074.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

Centre punch each hole, then create an adjustable jig to hold the disk on the pillar drill table. I can just rotate the disc to keep each hole equidistant around its circumference.

IMG_20190111_164256994.jpg

and after 92 holes a long long long time later and its Holy as (insert name of the religious leader of your choice)

IMG_20190111_165148868.jpg

then flatten and rub off the rough burs on its back with 240G

IMG_20190111_170349803.jpg

Edited by jimbojohn55

keep calm and grind flat

Awesome work Jim I am sure this will be the most beautiful lever so far

AKA Toffee chips

Awesome work Jim I am sure this will be the most beautiful lever so far

if not the most complete and original.....!

Well to take my mind off members in Austria suffering with snowdrifts locked in their Roastery with nothing but 90KG of green beans and a vintage Pav, and as my dog is going on 15yrs and ignoring my ideas about pulling a rescue sledge across the Tirol I decided to make some rubber feet as a distraction

The Bruni like most vintage levers is held off the worktop by 4 rubber feet, two of these are serviceable but the front two have almost worn away, so the answer make some new ones

IMG_20190112_104907283.jpg

First make a wooden mould out of two bits of scrap wood

stage 1 pilot holes

IMG_20190112_110409817.jpg

Stage 2 - drill out the stem size

IMG_20190112_110559318.jpg

Stage 3 Drill out the foot size with a centre point drill bit to give it squareish shoulders and not sloped like a normal drill

IMG_20190112_111916300.jpg

IMG_20190112_111800572_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

Next seal the wood with some varnish then when dry apply a coat of wax then pour in the black moulding rubber

IMG_20190112_163601456.jpg

Wait a few hours, trim off the top

IMG_20190112_163708818.jpg

then separate the mould, he rubber feet will harden fully over night

IMG_20190112_163827421.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

Next seal the wood with some varnish then when dry apply a coat of wax then pour in the black moulding rubber

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38543[/ATTACH]

Wait a few hours, trim off the top

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38544[/ATTACH]

then separate the mould, he rubber feet will harden fully over night

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38545[/ATTACH]

Hmm 8 feet. Oh gawds, you're fixing up 2 at the same time again!

Oh & pics of the pooch refusing to get hooked up to a sled or it didn't happen

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Hmm 8 feet. Oh gawds, you're fixing up 2 at the same time again!

Oh & pics of the pooch refusing to get hooked up to a sled or it didn't happen

Ha, I have got another to do a MK1 and yes well spotted it needs feet as well, as for the dog it won't even go out in the rain ....

keep calm and grind flat

Well to take my mind off members in Austria suffering with snowdrifts locked in their Roastery with nothing but 90KG of green beans and a vintage Pav, and as my dog is going on 15yrs and ignoring my ideas about pulling a rescue sledge across the Tirol I decided to make some rubber feet as a distraction

The Bruni like most vintage levers is held off the worktop by 4 rubber feet, two of these are serviceable but the front two have almost worn away, so the answer make some new ones

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38538[/ATTACH]

First make a wooden mould out of two bits of scrap wood

stage 1 pilot holes

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38539[/ATTACH]

Stage 2 - drill out the stem size

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38540[/ATTACH]

Stage 3 Drill out the foot size with a centre point drill bit to give it squareish shoulders and not sloped like a normal drill

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38541[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]38542[/ATTACH]

Aaahh yes ... but it's 500kgs of greens.

And a fridge full of... erm... beer.

Other than that - hooray all these techniques, smart and simple, love it!

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Ha, I have got another to do a MK1 and yes well spotted it needs feet as well, as for the dog it won't even go out in the rain ....

To a non engineer type, your skill sets amaze me sometimes!

Just a few final Bruni shots and to say it all went back together ok with new seals, The bit I'm most happy about is how the drip tray turned out, its not 100% original but pretty close.

IMG_20190121_141605339.jpg

IMG_20190121_141635433.jpg

IMG_20190121_141548887.jpg

IMG_20190121_141611227.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

are the two you have the same variant Jim.....if not, any real differences?

are the two you have the same variant Jim.....if not, any real differences?
Hi the other is a MK1 and you can fill it through the stopper behind the lid, I think it's got a different element as well and possible a brass piston , will find out soon

keep calm and grind flat

Hi the other is a MK1 and you can fill it through the stopper behind the lid, I think it's got a different element as well and possible a brass piston , will find out soon
I believe Dave meant the other two of the three you did simultaneously...

Superb job, this looks so fresh!!

And wowed by the final looks of the drip tray. Apart from not being the original piece, is there any visible difference?

Have you tinkered with it at all? Like, how does it compare with a LaPav - handling, taste, cleaning?

says Hasi.

And wowed by the final looks of the drip tray. Apart from not being the original piece, is there any visible difference?

Have you tinkered with it at all? Like, how does it compare with a LaPav - handling, taste, cleaning?

I will be tinkering with it this week

AKA Toffee chips

The design of the drip tray is slightly bespoke allowing for non automated production techniques. that's about it

for me my design is slightly more attractive but then that's the makers bias ;)

keep calm and grind flat

Looking stunningly gorgeous as do all your works of art, what's coming next?

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Looking stunningly gorgeous as do all your works of art, what's coming next?

Bruni 2 and a Mini Gaggia

IMG_20181206_092436150.jpg

IMG_20181206_092219953.jpg

IMG_20181206_092421087.jpg

keep calm and grind flat